Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

Therapist

13 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
anerol,
Congratulations, this is a major achievement!!!  You were able to make the call, that takes a lot courage.  I am so happy for you and glad to see you moving in a positive direction.  This is real progress.  Remember to reward yourself in a special way.

Red
13 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was able to call a therapist. (from phone book) I told myself, what do you have to loose?? I can only gain from this! and was able to call........... but am still terrified. I left a message and then he left a message and I'm supposed to call back. Taking my time...
13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Anerol,
I asked my doctor about a therapist too, she gave me a referal for a psychologist...my  insurance would cover 80% of the fee....but when I called the 3 on the list there all were booked for at least 3 months...so I'm on wait lists. I'm in B.C. Canada, and every province's medical plan is different. I have no idea how it works in the rest of the world.
Sunny..thats a good idea about asking at the local hospital..I think I may do that.
Cleo
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I had my first full-blown panic attack and I thought I was having a heart attack or something (?) I went to emergency at the hospital and the doctors at the hospital recommended that I see someone - they chose the psychiatrist and made an appt. for me.  I asked the psychiatrist to refer me to the psychology department at the hospital and so, was put on a waiting list.  Afterwards, I saw an ad in the newspaper for CBT course and took it, but it was in another city about an hour plus, away.  You could ask your doctor what is available in your area.  I would also recommend asking at the hospital what's available, they may have programs your doctor doesn't know about.  Do you have a social services, mental health dept., resource centre of sorts?  They would know what's happening too.  Good luck.
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have a doctor but my therapist was recommended by the hospital while I was in it. She works out of a section of the hospital.

Davit
13 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering how everyone found their therapist? Did you look through the yellow pages? I don't have insurance right now so.. I don't have a doc to refer me to one. Any suggestions on how to start this? 

14 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
D:  sounds like good news for you re: walking.  I'm really happy for you.  Hope this fellow works out well for the summer and the home care person helping on her off days.   
Anerol: thanks for the comment.  I just don't want to overdo - I think if I were a true artist I would need to hole up somewhere and not be bothered by phone calls or visitors.  I work well alone and when I get really inspired, tend not to stop to eat or drink.  I know that's not good, so am trying to be careful about it.  I always found art classes too noisy and distracting with comings and goings - though it is fun and inspiring to see others' artwork.
14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sunny

I some times worry that I might sound a bit pushy but I either have personal experience with something or have very thoroughly researched it before passing it on. I once lived with a woman who played devils advocate as a form of conversation. The problem is that after a while you don't know what is real. I don't like to be treated that way and would never want to treat anyone that way, so my rule is, no guessing. If I don't know then I will find out or keep quiet. 
I get muskrats passing through but they seldom stay. Not enough of the right kind of feed. (reeds) I think they may be up in the next ponds with the beaver. The beaver is shy so I may have a hard time getting his picture. I have a bench on a rise overlooking his pond. I want to spend some time there. I'm glad your clay work is coming along fine. I have no comment on working longer than you should because you can't stop. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. My hands are in my pockets.
Thank you for the toad information. Some of the toads in my green house get very big. 
My therapist was out to check on me and she mentioned that she hasn't seen me walk this well in a very long time. I think it has been around two years since I could walk this good. Hoping to garden this year. Found a fellow looking for work to give me a hand. I hope he works out. One of my home support workers is willing on her day off to help for a share. Things could go well. I hate to see the garden not used.

Davit. 
14 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Sunny,
that is the best feeling when you can work on something and not want to stop! I'm glad things are going well.

14 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
D:  The funny thing is I am very sensitive to telling others this sort of thing and make a conscious effort not to do it.  So, I want to ease up on myself and treat myself with respect too. 
On another note:  are those muskrats in your photo? are they on your property? Hope you post some more animals, I like that.
My clay work is coming along very nicely.  My hands are actually starting to do what I want and not so clumsy.  I am trying to keep a balance and take breaks as I am enjoying it so much more now and hate to stop.  I was out and about this wknd. and felt o.k. except one time I got rubbery legs and felt quite tired out, but pressure not too bad.  Hope you are coming along too.
Another fact I found out was to place the door of the toad house facing south, and to keep a saucer-type dish with water not more than an inch, close by for the toad.

Reading this thread: