Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

About this forum

21 years ago 0 48 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
anxiety and stress will be a part of our lives as long as we live. i dont expect to be that cured but i want to learn to live with it and not get mood swings or irritability. i want this feeling where in you just keep a smiley face all day like you dont have any problem to worry about. but its easier said than done. nevertheless, am still trying to make things positive for me, funny, but when im kinda stressed out, i think of flowers or the beach. or i keep my mind blank, or any color that i want to think about. this helps at times but more often than not i still get tired practicing this:) wheeew!
21 years ago 0 59 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I would like to go back where I was before my Mum got ill. That is: I would like to be able to walk out of the house, do shopping in the local hypermarket without running away at the first thought of panic and be able to use public transport to get me at least to the downtown (which is about 20 stops from me), use the British library and go back home. That's it for now. But I have many things to win back.
21 years ago 0 1062 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lori. It sounds like you are facing a bit of stress. Sometimes when you can't change what's happening, you have to focus on how you react to it. Hang in there! If you sign up for the Panic program we'll help you plan you baby steps if you want. The panic diary is a useful tool. Is there any way you can purchase your meds now to tide you over for a while longer?
21 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anne-Marie, My goal is to fight this panic disorder to the very end. I want and have to be medication free within the next month or so because as of March 31st.,2003, we (my hubby and I ) will lose our med. benefits due to the closing and bankruptcy of his former employer. I will no longer be able to afford to buy my meds. and I really think this would be the best time ever to quit taking them. I am terrified of my panic attacks. I am on regular SS disability and have just received my medicare card but it doesn't become effective until June 1,2003. I had 2 major back surgeries in 3 years so I take meds for pain as well and I have acid reflux and take expensive med. for that. Any help I can get will be a godsend! Lori
Maria D., Consider that there are lots of new citizens who have to go through the permit procedure, no matter how old they are. There are older drivers too who have to go to apply for permits and those who go to get new plates, change their address, etc. That you're going for it is cause to be proud, yes? Try to focus on the goal and not who's in the room. A older friend of mine who suffers from PA went through a driver's ed course. She said she would be quiet in class and would use humor if she had to, but she got through it fine and is now driving. Add some good "what if's" to your thinking, like what if I meet someone there who will turn out to be a friend? What if they're all really nice?
21 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
my goals are these. i would like to book in for my learner's permit and not feel ashamed, i am 36 and the place will be filled with 16 year olds. i cringe at the thought. i would also like to go to a local support group in my area for social phobia etc i know it will help just have to get myself in the door and not panic. thanks again, maria d.
Hi. If you don't mind, I'll start a new thread just for this, ok? -- Anne-Marie, Site Administrator
21 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
going to my evening job now... will check in later or tomorrow. p.s. will take my panic manual on bus to read!!! Trains don't run on my line at this time. Gads!!! another glitch. :mad:
21 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,Anne-Marie: Thank you for the opportunity to get help with setting my goals. Basically, in 12 weeks (and especially for March 19, the day of my next G2 driving exit exam) are: 1) to be able to get up that morning and not feel "sick" with flu-like symptoms; 2) to have full presence of mind re getting ready and getting there. My husband will have to drive me as my licence has expired (5 years) and I will have a licence for that day only (get it at the MOT desk for test only). So this will have to be a real cognitive headspace only training making more difficult to "practice". 3) to be able to "get over" the fear of being evaluated negatively; i.e. to be confident to perform successfully. 4) to not rush through the various tasks in order to "get through this"; i.e., I see my unsuccesful tests (2 prior failures here in Ontario -- got the licence successfully in Quebec in Frency mind you -- not my first language!!! Go figure??) 5) to understand why I am so unsuccessful here and to fix that however. I have read the Ministry of Transport book several times!!!! but continue to forget some stuff -- again do figure as I have been tested and have a very high IQ -- it is like someone else takes over my body and mind and this person is a nimble-brain. It is maddening. I want to fully possess my real self. H E L P!!!!! and Thanks in Advance "TIA"!!! JitteryMom :blush:
Hey wow. You have identified an event and then a 'what if' thought as part of a panic cycle, see? Don't hesitate to start a discussion in that forum about it, ok? This message was edited by am on 8-30-02 @ 11:42 AM

Reading this thread: