Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,507 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

Quit today, struggling

5 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you very much for your support, Tim, I really appreciate it! I'm pretty sure I've reached the 24 hour smoking-free time milestone already :) I can't recall the exact time I last smoked yesterday but it must be "it" by now!

I felt kind of sick and lethargic for the most part of this day (been thinking almost non-stop about smoking for the first 3-4 hours of this day... reading all I can about quitting smoking kind of helped to get through that), but I've regained some positivity in the last couple of hours and am not so obsessed about wanting to smoke as before... A bit of working out helped...

I was not a heavy smoker, and had reduced the amount of cigarettes I smoked to around 9 per day in the last year or so. But I'd been smoking for about 17 years now. I've not attempted to quit for years...

Thanks for the tip about setting up my quit-meter :) I have one on an app on my phone too. 
  • Quit Meter

$3,026.88

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 171 Hours: 0

Minutes: 37 Seconds: 42

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bibeh36,
 Welcome to the site. The first thing you should do is go through the "my program" at the top of the page. It can help you on your quit journey. Another thing you need to do is read, read, read and learn all you can about what to expect and how to deal with it. Maybe while reading you will run across a thread that just seems to click, and gives you the strength to say, okay I've had enough of this nasty chemical. I want to control my life from here on out, not that da*m cigarette. I know that actually making the commitment to choose a day to quit can be a little scary.  It's good to hear that you know that only YOU can do this too. That's a start.  How long were your previous quits? 
I wish you the best on your journey, and remember, you CAN do this.  

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,189.65

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 771 Hours: 16

Minutes: 6 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi Gimli,
  How is your 1st day going so far? It helps to keep changing your normal routines in the beginning of your quit. Just take it one day at a time or one hour at a time and don't think too much on the long term. Concentrate on the present and do whatever you have to do to NOT cave in and have a cigarette. Keep yourself busy if at all possible. 
 Your body is going to be throwing all kinds of fits trying to make you give it its fix. Nicotine is terrible and so is that Nico-Demon. How long have you smoked? Have you tried to quit before? Get and keep a positive mind set, it really helps. It's also normal to not feel well in the beginning of your quit. 
Stay strong and keep us posted on your progress. You can get your quit meter running by going into your settings at the top of the page. That way you can "strut your stuff" to the rest of the world to see.  Even a few hours smoke free is an accomplishment for some people trying to quit. 
I wish you the best on your journey! 

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,189.65

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi I'm so desperate to quit, but can't seem to be able to. I just joined this forum and familiarzing myself. I have quit two times in the past, each time due to health scare. Now that doesn't even motivate me. Only I can help myself, I realize, but help!
  • Quit Meter

$340,567.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9141 Hours: 1

Minutes: 7 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi! Its my Day 1 of quitting. Thanks for all the replies on this thread, its helpful... And good luck to all other newbie-quitters... Its been around 17 hours since my last smoke yesterday evening and I don't feel very good, haha. I would really appreciate some support. 
  • Quit Meter

$3,026.88

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 171 Hours: 0

Minutes: 37 Seconds: 42

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 180 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi cani513, good luck with your quit (although luck has nothing to do with it.... maybe I should wish "good mental space"?).  I am finding that posting here daily helps me remember what I'm doing and gives me some accountability as well as a space to talk about the process.  I look forward to your posts :)
I'm quitting as well.  Cut back for the last two days and will quit tomorrow.  Would like to stay in touch since we will be going through it at the same time.

5 years ago 0 180 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome back - it's not how many times you fall but how many times you get back up that determines success :)  I haven't been around here long, and I haven't been quit long, but I already see the trend of first-time posters making a declaration and then disappearing (presumably to relapse).  I think it's a majorly good sign that you have come right back here, been humble and honest, and are willing to try again. What fantastic character traits :) Re: the pack at home - I highly recommend flushing or throwing them out in a public garbage can.  I have fished more than one pack out of my household trash in a moment of weakness or apathy. And I truly believe there is no such thing as a wasted effort.  There is always something to be learned - and you just learned that smoking at night doesn't work for you.  Just please be smarter than me and accept the truth of it now, instead of "trying it out" 20 times before confirming that nope, I can't just smoke at night.
5 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, I dabbled and relapsed - full time smoking yesterday. So today is hard quit day.  It's five months to my 40th birthday, and I do NOT want to see 40 as a smoker. I also want to drop about 20 lbs by then, and no way can I accomplish the workouts needed for that until I'm off the d*mn cigarettes for good!  So I've got my trusty nico-gum, I wore good perfume today, and those cigarettes I forgot to toss this morning are going straight into the trash when I get home!  Maybe I'll break them and flush them down the toilet just to be sure...
  • Quit Meter

$14,749.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 210 Hours: 17

Minutes: 42 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi Sm20,
 Congratulations on quitting for 4 days already. It's a big life changer isn't it?  There is no time limit on how long your insomnia will last.  Could just be a few days, or maybe a month or longer. It's different for everyone. You can try and getting some exercise before bedtime, you know, wear yourself out. It won't get rid of the insomnia, but you might sleep a little better when you do drift off. Drink plenty of fluids to help clean your system out. 
 Whatever you do don't "think" you can have "just one". It doesn't work like that. That one will lead to another and another and before you know you're a full blown smoker again. There is no such thing as "just one". Fight the urge with whatever ammunition you can find. 
 Like I told WillowMama, your answers are here in the forums somewhere, you just have to find them. Read read read. The more you know that easier it will be for you. No two quitters are the same and no two quits are the same. Something is always different. I see that you have went through part of the "my program". You might want to complete it since it does have some tips on what to expect and how to cope with them.  Stay strong and keep us posted on your journey.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,189.65

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked