Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

What?s your favorite method?

11 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Original Post by: Vincenza - Health Educator
Members,

With so many options available today, it can be hard for a new quitter to decide on one. Let’s help them along!

What is your favorite quitting method and why?
My Favorite would have to be going Cold Turkey...
This way I can put a stop to the cycle of nicotine use and quit feeding the addiction sooner...

Red
d 83

11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I chose nicotine lozenges for a few reasons: 
1) I could control the amount of nicotine by sucking on more or less, in a similar way that I had with cigarettes.  
2) It was something I could put in my mouth instead of a cigarette.
3) I don't like gum (always have disliked the mess that goes with it), so the lozenges seemed better.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,567.30

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 603 Hours: 7

Minutes: 51 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Sonia ! We can always count on you to respond and to offer encouragement every step of the way.
11 years ago 0 270 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
willisv56,

Thanks for sharing! Glad to learn that you also found a coping aid that worked for you.

Sonia
11 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well Vincenza I went with the patch. I was a heavy smoker and so started with the strongest dose 21mgs. I followed the directions precisely and read the little instruction sheet over and over again every night. I went to progressively lower and lower doses as directed and stopped completely after 2 months. I found that for me following the directions of the quit method was something I could hold on to. Something tangible to replace that pack that I always had with me night and day and wherever I went. I ,like Island would pat the patch when an urge arrived as if I were pushing more nicotine into my system.

William - Free and Healing for One Year, Four Months, Twenty Five Days, 10 Hours and 5 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 62 Days and 9 Hours, by avoiding the use of 17970 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $8,259.42.
island,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience with us again. I'm glad to hear that the cravings are dying down and that you're able to focus on exercise and journalling, as both of these activities will also be super helpful in maintaining your quit!

Please keep us posted about your progress. 

Sonia
11 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I went off the patch a little too soon it turned out because as soon as I did my anxiety levels went up and I started bumming smokes here and there.  So I set a new quit date and started all over again, at first without the patch, but when things got stressful, I put the lowest dose patch on.  

The patch in general allowed me to step down from being a regular smoker to not smoking right away.  Because I was still getting nicotine, I didn't have all of the symptoms to deal with so I could relax and concentrate on building strength about other things, like an exercise routine, journal writing, and other things that would support me as I weaned myself off the nicotine all together.

I'm almost there too.  I only have cravings in the morning which is pretty typical.  And occasionally when something happens.  But I just give my arm a little rub to remind myself that I have the patch and I don't need to smoke.   
island,

Thanks for your feedback about using a NRT. Sounds like the convenience was a deciding factor for you to use this coping aid.

How did having a convenient coping aid make a difference in your day to day quit experience?

Sonia
11 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think it was easiest to quit using Chantix.  I started with that, but the side effects worried my therapist so I went to the patch instead.  I like the patch because it is so easy.  You just put it on in the morning and forget all about it.  It gives slow, continuous nicotine, unlike the other methods and unlike smoking for that matter.  The problem with it is that there's no oral gratification as is there is with gum and lozenges so I can see that if you want that, you should go with those methods instead.
11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

With so many options available today, it can be hard for a new quitter to decide on one. Let’s help them along!

What is your favorite quitting method and why?

Reading this thread: