Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Social anxiety disorder

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.756 posts in 47.057 threads.

160,719 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ktktindy1, Julesy, grames, rainyjade, AJ8142

i'm quitting monday

17 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hello again. thanks to everyone for the advice and words of encouragement! i've decided not to cut back much before the big day, but i have been keeping the smoking log, which had made me much more conscience of my triggers. my husband has agreed to stop smoking in the house, and he even said something like, "i'm getting kind of tired of smoking." so i think there's a good chance he'll do it. i just know it has to be his decision, not mine. so i'm not going to pressure him. i've ordered the book and it should arrive tomorrow. i'm going to try cold turkey (no NRT's). i also think it would be a truly awesome acomplishment to quit the first time trying, which is giving me tons of motivation. plus i think i may be getting bronchitis again (i've had chronic bronchitis since i was a baby-- what a good candidate for chain smoking!), which should provide additional umph for quitting. i've had this really aweful strategy when im sick-- i take a hit off my inhaler, spray my throat with chloraseptic and then smoke. gross!! i don't ever want to do that again!! anyway, i am really enjoying this forum, thanks to all of you!!
thanks everybody-- this forum is great. i'm going to buy that book tomorrow. what were your experiences with cutting back before the big day? i have to admit i feel rather tempted to smoke like crazy before the last one. it seems like its going to be painful enough when i actually stop, why start the pain early? thoughts?
hello! i just decided today that i'm going to quit for new year's. i've never tried to quit before, i've been smoking for 8 years, and i smoke about 2 pack per day. has anyone tried "the easy way to quit smoking" book? also, my husband smokes a ton. any pointers from the spouse who quit? i would love for him to quit, but i'm not going to force him. i'm hoping maybe he'll follow my lead. anyway, hello everyone. any pointers would be greatly appreciated!
17 years ago 0 175 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey everyone - The Carr book is a great start! Even though I quit yesterday, I read the book in about 5 hours. It's an easy book to read and understand...it makes you wonder why anyone smokes at all! Good luck to you. My (final) quit has been a breeze... Peace. 2tone :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 43 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
  • Quit Meter

$357,863.63

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9156 Hours: 2

Minutes: 41 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 613 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Suzers: Welcome aboard! Allen Carr's book is wonderful -- I agree that its real value is in how you change your attitude toward smoking BEFORE you quit. It is like a light dawned for me and I was able to see how horrendous smoking has been for me, also how ridiculous and just plain disgusting. Most importantly, I finally realized that I'm a drug addict, addicted to nicotine. Once I "got" that, it has made quitting much easier. I will NOT let the addiction have one more day -- 35 years is more than enough! Also, my husband is still smoking and I will tell you that it has NOT made quitting more difficult. In fact, watching him smoke has helped my resolve because I can see (and SMELL) from a non-smoker's perspective that I have absolutely made the right decision. I'm not tempted in the least. While I wish he would also quit, I know it has to be his decision. I'm just hoping he'll follow my lead. I know he's surprised that I'm doing so well. Please do get the Allen Carr book and refer to it often. It will help cement your resolve and point you on the right path as a non-smoker. Congratulations on a wonderful decision! Let us help you in any way we can. Keep the faith. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 79 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,195 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $632 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
17 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations on your decision to quit. When I quit my sweetie still smoked and still does eventhough he has reduced his smoking alot. I am currently on the patch. Aside from that I found since I couldn't get him to go outside to smoke that an exhaust fan, air purifier and scented candles were super important. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 45 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,363 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $292.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
17 years ago 0 100 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi suzers :) Congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking. If you have thought this through completely and made your Public Pledge, you might already have gotten through some of the most difficult part. It is your determination that will be the deciding factor to your success. You've come to the right place and I think you'll find that posting daily to get advice and help and to help and support others will go a long way toward getting you over the rough spots. I wish you great success and hope to see more of your posts soon. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,240 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $205 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
17 years ago 0 738 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome and Well met! Your quit date approaches quickly, and you really do have to be prepared. I personally used the patch, but it's a personal choice, as is smoking or not. Really. It's a choice. Each and every time. Even with a smoking spouse. The major factor is that your determination to quit MUST be stronger than your desire to smoke. And remember NOPE = Not One Puff Ever. Congratulations on your decision to quit. You do soooo deserve the freedom! Denise [IMG]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p300/DeeKaySss/helloparrot.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 72 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,165 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $540 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
17 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello...my name's Soolin and I've used the book "Easy Way to Quit Smoking" by Allen Carr. Are you going to read it too? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 103 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,114 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $824 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Suzers - Welcome to SCC! There are tons of ideas and lots of support here. You may wish to use the Program tools offered on this site. You also mentioned a book by Alan Carr which many of us have found to be extremely helpful (especially in changing how we think about smoking) He recommends that you read it while you are still smoking. You may also wish to consult with your doctor and/or Pharmacist. I quit using the patch. Others use medications such as Zyban, Wellbutrin and Chantix. Many believe that cold turkey is the best method to use. Choose what is best for you. You are so right about trying to force someone else to quit....it just can't be done. You may ask your spouse if he will smoke outside as it would be very hard to quit otherwise (although not impossible). Next, plan your distractions - what are you going to do when you feel a crave coming on (walk, deep breaths, go to the gym, drink tea, drink lots of water, chew gum, do crosswords, etc) You also need to plan lots of rewards into your day (little breaks, special coffees or teas, a good book, a nap, etc) and plenty of great rewards for along the way. Post often and read often - there is tons of support here and there will always be someone who has an answer for your questions. All the best with a great decision! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 106 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,136 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $530 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42

Reading this thread: