Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Facing the fear!!

17 years ago 0 204 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Penguin, Let me put my 2 cents in! You have to get mad, plum mean dog mad! You have to hate what these things did to us! You have to want to destroy any thoughts and wants that you have. This addiction is like no other in the world. So you have to hate them and ever thing they did to you! I read something recently and I want to cut and paste it here. I dont know who wrote it, but I love it!!!!! 1. My cigarettes are my friend Friend or master? What kind of "friend" would deprive you of oxygen, take away your ability to smell, burn your clothes, destroy your teeth, harden your arteries, elevate your blood pressure, daily feed you 4,000+ chemical compounds that include arsenic, ammonia, acetone, formaldehyde, butane, massive doses of carbon monoxide, hydrogen cyanide, methane, stearic acid, vinyl chloride, mercury, and lead, together with 43 known cancer causing agents (one of which is created when nicotine breaks down -NNK), before finally killing you with cancer, a stroke, a heart attack or emphysema? Imagine seeing your executioner as a friend. Such protective denial thinking shows the amazing grip that nicotine imposes upon the mind. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 56 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $11 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
17 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was just searching posts this morning to keep me inspired and I just finished reading this one. I'm so proud that you are sticking with it. Knowing others are going through the same as me helps so much. Its funny how a complete stranger can be so inspiring!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 44 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $16 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
17 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Penguin! I'm so inspired by you and completely identify with what you're saying. I failed so many times that I decided not to quit because I didn't want to fail again. Now isn't that stupid? What would you say to me? So, I have learned to fail joyfully and then to recommit myself. Because I didn't get the intended outcome....doesn't mean that I'm a failure. Embrace yourself and acknowledge what you have accomplished. NEVER give up. You're not a failure. No point in hating yourself. Loving yourself in the face of failure will have you succeed. You're doing it. Thank you for introducing yourself. I would love to stay in touch with you. I am on my second day. I have quit many times. I smoked for 25 years. We are doing it this time...once and for all. Thanks for the post...Linda [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 23 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What fantastic support you all are! I only came into this forum late last night so didn't really have a good read then. I know where I'm going to come when I'm feeling low. Penguin - I know what you mean about the Demon. We tend to make the need big and huge and evil in our minds, maybe we ought to try to shrink it make it smaller and inconsequential, like an annoying little fly buzzing round our heads, rather than give it more importance than it deserves. I hope that makes sense and isn't too far out. :) It helps me by trying to change the way I think of it.
17 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Penguin I`m still in hell week and I`m crawling the walls same as yourself. Self talk got me thro` hell day yesterday and the demon is constantly there. Beware and fight. The add on TV in the UK is where the big Cig is behind you and the non smoker is doing Karate kicks beating up the big Cig-thats my head;constantly beating up the demon. Jan 1st is my 1st goal-that would do me for starters as then Xmas is gone and pressure is off(4 kids 1 grandkid) and then I can relax. Be Strong Tony [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 245 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There is no failure, just bumps in the road. ;)
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't get it. It's seems to be a good post, but I'm not really grasping what you mean - and I want to, b/c I think it's not far off from others of us (possibly me). Part of the quiting is to detest ourselves and our actions. You're wasting money you don't have (and hurting yourself in other ways that you did not write). What I want to know more about is where you said "I'm afraid, so very very afraid"- not only afraid, but very afraid, I felt it. But I don't know if it's failure that you fear. Maybe I could buy that if you elaborated, but my thought (maybe I'm only seeing this in myself)is that I don't think it's fear of failure. It may be. I know that I used to not want to tell anyone if I was trying for something, b/c I didn't want others to know if I didn't get it. Repeatedly knocking your head against a brick wall doesn't sound easy. Your example of your head meeting the brick wall is I guess what really makes me feel that it is more. What else does it for me is when you talk about being mad at yourself, hating yourself and detesting yourself for always taking the easy way out. You're right,this forum is great. I'm new to it myself. Please forgive me if I have offended you, but your post struck a cord with me and I think it is a valuable concept to share with others and hopefully you will get some valuable feedback. Five minutes at a time is do-able. Sometimes all we can ask is one minute at a time and before we know it, it adds up to five minutes. Thanks for sharing and hang in there with us. I fear failure. But if I don't quit, then I have failed right! I fear giving in - I've done it so many times now. Don't know why I should fear continually knocking my head against a brick wall? Come to think of it - that seems to be the easy way - the way I have always gone...and then get mad and start hating myself because I did that. [u]Text[/u]
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
penguin, If you ever feel like sharing: I was thinking about anger and cigarettes today. I have anger. If you ever wanted to explore and/or share - I was wondering what role the DEMON plays in your cigarette addiction. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/19/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, Penguin, I'm impressed. You got a heck of a nerve there, and I admire your spunk. I guess you've thought through medical aids (drugs, patches, gum, etc.) and made some decisions? Me, I couldn't do it without all of the above, and even then, there's hope. I'm stepping down to 14mg patches tomorrow. Hang out with us, and we'll all get through it together. peteg [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 13 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 681 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $71.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
17 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Penguin -- Been a couple of days since you posted -- how's it going for you? peteg

Reading this thread: