Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

I messed up, disgusted with myself

11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the description of an "air smoke," Eyja. That's hilarious! ....And I bet I'll be doing that at some point....probably someday when I'm sitting outside in my old favorite smoking chair.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,551.85

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 21

Minutes: 31 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Vinceza : ) Thanks for your support and fun comment : ) 
Oh Ya!  I am a rock star for sure LOL!  And now that I don't smoke any more, I can dance all night too : ) NOPE works! And all this great support here is sure nice too : )  
11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Eyja,

Sounds like you are quite the rockstar! 
Great, fun way to stay smoke-free.  Keep it up! Vincenza, Health Educator
Hi again Snice!  
Hope you are doing well.  How are you coping now?  Did you find any other good reasons to kick that Nicodemon's butt??  I hope you pop back in and let us know how your journey is coming along.  Slips happen!  So don't be shy or feel like you have to beat yourself up up over this - we're here for support where ever you are on the Quit Meter!  

Hi Workin' : ) 
My 'air smoke' is a figment of my imagination - it's just like playing an 'air guitar'.  I just pretend I have a smoke - so a plastic straw or cinnamon stick works good; even a pencil or completely pretend smoke works.  Then I puff away on that - I even blow virtual smoke rings LOL - then I play a smokin' riff on my 'air guitar'  because I get a lot of nice oxygen in my lungs after all that deep puffing, but still remain smoke free and maintain my quit!  It's entertaining enough that by the time I finish playing 'Smoke on the Water' on my air guitar- the craving is all gone and I'm glad I remembered NOPE after all   

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Snice!!!

I hope all has gone well for you this week and so glad that you got back onto the road to freedom!!!  You are absolutely correct... you DID do it for 5 weeks and you CAN do it again!!!  Keep a Positive Mental Attitude and remember  NOPE!!!  And remember, we're here for you so yell if you need a hand!  

Jim 
  • Quit Meter

$44,280.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 20

Minutes: 21 Seconds: 32

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Eyja,

I have to ask: What is an "air smoke"? Is it when you find yourself trying to catch a secondhand hit off someone else's cig?  Or is it simulating the action, like when I was a kid with candy cigarettes in cold weather? Or is it something else? 
  • Quit Meter

$22,551.85

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 21

Minutes: 31 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi Snice; You have done so well over the past 5 weeks; look at all the ways you learned to cope without smoking through your journey so far  : ) The little cigars may not trigger a full blown craving to start smoking again - after all, that's not your usual smoke of choice . . .
But those 'slips' are so depressing!  As you can see from the replies; many of us have been there!  I know what it's like to be in that moment when you just want to throw in the towel and have that One Puff - I've even caught myself having an 'air smoke'!  It's ridiculous! But whatever tactic you can find to ward off that One Puff will take you to another level of strength.  NOPE works best; you just have to find your own way.  You've done it for 5 weeks; so you know you can!  
11 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi snice, I would consider it a valuble lesson learned. Now you know for sure that lighting up won't help the situation at all and it won't even taste good. We all need to learn that lesson first hand so consider it another step toward freedom.   
11 years ago 0 187 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you all so much for your kind words.  I sat here debating for quite a while whether or not to post that I had slipped.  As for how to handle the kind of stress I had on the weekend, I'm not sure quite how to cope with it yet.  I'm going to chalk it up to a bad weekend and start fresh and go with the mindset that nothing is going to make me smoke, it doesn't make anything easier to deal with, just makes my breath stink! lol  I have re-set my quit meter, almost one day in.  If I can make it 5 weeks, I can do it again.  I don't need cigarettes, and I know I feel so much better without them!
11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Snice,

Thank you for your honesty. Slips happen. They can be quite discouraging but the important thing as that you still sound to be strong in your quit. That's good. Try not to be too hard on yourself. Learn from this. What would you do differently next time to manage your stress without smoking? How can you prevent a slip like this from happening again?

In regards to resetting your quit meter that is completely up to you. Some people have reset their quit meter after a slip; others have not. Whatever you feel will work for you go with.

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: