Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,507 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

This stinks!!!

14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Carrie,

You did great last night! We are so proud of you!

Bobinsc! HAHA I can picture it! What a great coping strategy too!

As a side note, it would be great if others could do what PB does as buggerdb suggested.  Documenting your quit in your blogs would be a great way to vent and for others to see how you are doing.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Went to bed at 7:30 after a hot bath.  Just wanted to be unconscious after a tough day! Felt really good when I woke up at 5:30 this morning.  I can't beleive how much better I feel upon wakening now that I'm not smoking.  My breathing has already improved a lot.  No headaches.  I decided to let my son's dad keep him one more day so that I have 4 days under my belt before caring for my 3yr old!  I'd hate to be cranky with him.  Planning on an active, smoke-free weekend!  So it's going pretty well so far today.  I am definately feeling better physically! Yey!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 3
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 60
Amount Saved: $18.75
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 7 Mins: 25 Seconds: 37

14 years ago 0 625 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I yelled at my addict, threw pillows at it, cussed it........Thankfully none of the neighbors saw me.......

Coming here and posting will help.  Get a pillow and beat on it, scream, cry.........it all helps.
You're halfway through Hell Week and understand why it's named that.........
 You're doing GREAT...............Keep kicking ASH...........

Keeping the Quit
huggggggs and cooookies
Bob

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 128
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,840
Amount Saved: $537.60
Life Gained:
Days: 26 Hrs: 19 Mins: 38 Seconds: 41

14 years ago 0 278 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Carrie,

I posted in another thread, but I forgot to mention to read PB's journal in his blog.  He has it broken down day by day, and a lot of us newbies (including myself since I quit around the same time) are looking to see what you go through on a certain day.  This sort of helped in my rough patches as well, just to know others are going through what you are going through.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/3/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 61
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 915
Amount Saved: $457.50
Life Gained:
Days: 6 Hrs: 17 Mins: 59 Seconds: 13

14 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Carrie, my mantra is temporary inconvenience yields permanent improvement.  You'll get through this "Week of Hell", just take it one day at a time.  And you are right, you need to treat yourself like royalty.  Pamper yourself as much as possible!  I remember going through this.  I was upset at everybody.  Nobody could do anything right.  Everybody was wrong.  I got through it, had to offer a few white flags and apologies, but once people knew the reason, they understood.  One of the things I've heard some quitters say is that they never want to experience Hell Week again.  We forget about our first Hell Week, but we never forget our second Hell Week!  Keep plugging away, you're doing awesome!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 287
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 11,480
Amount Saved: $2,870.00
Life Gained:
Days: 42 Hrs: 21 Mins: 55 Seconds: 3

14 years ago 0 377 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Carrie,
Faryal is right that the dopamine receptors not activating are one of the biggest reasons why we feel down and depressed at the beginning of our quits. The good news is if you go on a long walk it will actually help to release those neuroreceptors also.   I always would take a walk when I was depressed and by the time I got back I would feel much better.  Last time you quit I remembered you felt a little down and then went out and did a little shopping and came back refreshed to make yourself a great meal and you felt much better. The key is to take your mind off of the situation (I'm depressed, lonely etc) and do something that will take you away from those thoughts. I know it's hard to do when you also have to work but it's very important in the beginning of your quit. You might also write a list of things you are going to do if you get depressed again.  Finally take note of all of this when you ever want to reach for another cigarette and ask yourself  "Do I want to go through this again??".  It does get better over time so it's not worth having to repeat Hell and Heck weeks again.  Stay Strong! Ron

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/17/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 351
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,318
Amount Saved: $1,895.40
Life Gained:
Days: 54 Hrs: 3 Mins: 12 Seconds: 45

14 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Carrie  So your on day 3. Well I'm sure glad I'm not you right now. I didn't have a real problem for the first couple of days although I thought I would but that day 3 was a mean one. Anyway I spent day 3 hurting curled up in the fetal position. Of course this is hard but could very well be the best thing you've ever done. Most of us have to keep practicing our quits until we get it right. At the start I decided that whatever I had to go through that I'd go through it. It was quite the ride on fly by the seat of my pants airlines. View your craves as your body healing itself. Be kind to yourself emotionally and in every way. I'm learning how to live again without smoking after over 40 years as a constant smoker. I like me a lot better as a non smoker, It takes time to unlearn a behaviour. Replace bad moments with good ones. It's all written in stone here if you look through the older posts. I wanted my recovery more than I wanted my addiction and still do. You're the most important person here. Thanks for helping me stay smoke free. Excellent  breather 204 Addict 0
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/11/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 204
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 10,200
Amount Saved: $4,896.00
Life Gained:
Days: 37 Hrs: 12 Mins: 13 Seconds: 32

14 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yep, you are normal.  Some of us cry, some of us explode, some of us sleep.  Your body is healing and you are in a morning crisis.  You are walking away from the monster and you have been comfortable with it so long.  Change doesn't come easy, I do promise you it will get better as long as you don't smoke.  Enjoy the cries, it is cleansing the soul.

Keep the Quit
Sparky

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 68
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 680
Amount Saved: $136.00
Life Gained:
Days: 9 Hrs: 21 Mins: 21 Seconds: 22

14 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Carrie,

What you are experiencing emotionally is very common early on in the quit. Nicotine acted similarly to other "feel good" chemicals or neurotransmitters in the body and now that it has pretty much cleared from your body, you are feeling the absence of this feeling.

You have received some great advice from your fellow quitters who have also been through this. There are many adjustments to get used to in your new non-smoking lifestyle. Listen to your body and be kind  to yourself.  Try to engage in activities that give you a pleasant feeling such as watching a funny movie, taking a nice warm bath, taking a walk or even going shopping with some of the money you are saving from not smoking!

As the week progresses you will feel less sad and cranky. Take it one hour at a time and post here as often as you need to.

Stay strong,

Faryal, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks PB.  Actually, I did expect this to happen again, but what can one do to prepare for sadness and lonliness? Last time I just muddled through, which is exactly what I plan to do this time as well.   All the while treating myself with kindness and spoiling myself rotten! 

Congrats to you on a great quit! You've come far!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 2
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 40
Amount Saved: $12.50
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 6 Mins: 5 Seconds: 43

Reading this thread: