Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,512 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

How to let go of the NRTs???

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Dori!!!

We ALL get it!!!  Congrats on your 6 smoke-free weeks!!  Another reason to celebrate and reward yourself this weekend! 

CLINK! 

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,257.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 5

Minutes: 1 Seconds: 25

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks everyone.  It's your suuport and great tips that are the biggest help in pushing me forward on this journey.  Sometimes the people you're closest to who have never smoked or dealt with any type of addiction just don't get it. 
11 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dory!

It was hard for me to quit at first also...I had been smoking for  almost 40 years. YEP. LOTS OF YEARS! I started as a kid being "COOL"...and then I was HOOKED!  You are doing WONDERFUL!  I have been put to the test with the NOT SMOKING with many issues that have gone on in my life this past year...But I told myself I would NOT give in to a material item that had such control over me...I was in bondage to the cigarettes.  I am glad to say that I have NOT smoked since I quit in June 2011!  

YEAY for you exercising! I have gained weight and NEED to get back to the gym...but I am having health issues and can't go back just yet.  

YOU ARE DOING SO WELL!  

Stay STRONG and when the feeling comes try to count it out in seconds and REALLY CONSINTRATE on the numbers. That was what helped me and sometimes I still need to do it...then it passes VERY FAST. The numbers will get less and less.

HANG TOUGH!!!  You will be GLAD YOU DID!

I am here for support as well as everyone on this board. THEY HELPED ME SO MUCH!

Debby

"Clean of Nicotine" 
11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great to hear dori!!  So exciting to hear the you are seeing the benefits - even despite having a cold.
Hope the rush continues!
Vincenza, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, dori,

It sounds like you are already experiencing some noticeably positive health effects. I also noticed those very early on. One of the first things was that my skin got more oily and soft (a good thing in middle age).

I'm sure you will get well soon.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,536.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 9

Minutes: 45 Seconds: 57

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hey Dori!

Just like Working on It says... Slow and steady!  It's great that you have been able to cut down consistently over the one month plus!  Sounds like you have a good plan and you can always modify it to meet YOUR needs!  This is your quit and you get to do it your way and as long as you are not smoking, WOOO HOOO!!!

As for the cold, I've found out that those zinc remedies really do the trick in shortening the length of a cold!  We use Zycam with great results!  And of course not smoking also reduces you recovery time!

Way to go!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,257.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Well I went down another 2mg. this weekend and it wasn't so bad.  The smoking cessation counsellor who has been helping me along suggested I do it slow and easy too because of the amount and number of years I've been smoking.  She suggested I reduce one of my 4 mg. gums to 2mg. for a week and then reduce another one the next week.  Once all 8 a day I am currently using are down to 2 mg. pieces I can replace one at a time once a week with ordinary gum until I'm down to no nicotine.  She planned it so that it takes about another 3 months.  That seems like forever but then again it's been over a month with no cigarettes and not one puff and it's getting tolerable.  I have a nasty cold right now but amazingly it doesn't feel like I'm going to cough a lung out.  I've had it for 3 days and it's already taking a turn for the better.  When I smoked it a cold would last at least a week and I'd be coughing for a month or two afterward.  So having this cold is actually another positive in encouraging me to continue to stay smoke free.  Cold or not I still did my training at the gym this morning.  There is absolutely no way I would have or could have done that when I smoked.  I can now run 7 km. and my muscles tire out long before my lungs feel it.  What a rush!!!

The fog is still there some days but I'm just going to try to be patient and wait for it to lift once all the junk is out of my system.
Hey Dori!!!

It really looks like you are "getting it"!!!  It's all about mindset... staying psyched up, totally committed, wanting this quit more than anything and not taking any crap from the nico-demon!  Just keep taking it one day at a time, continue to reward yourself in some small way for each smoke-free day and really celebrate when achieving significant milestones!   You'll be in that "fog" for a while, but it won't last long! You're doing great!

Jim 
  • Quit Meter

$44,257.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I can so relate to everything you're saying especially the part about the sense of disorientation because of not knowing what exactly is causing the bouts of sadness and irritability.  By 2010 I was up to 1 1/2 large packs a day and then I quit for 3 months in January 2011 using the gum but unfortunatley I couldn't give up the gum and then one day I just gave in to the craving and bought a pack.  I have smoked on and off since then continuing to use the gum.  This is th first serious attempt to stop since last year but I think I have a more committed mindset now and am very hopeful that this will be the last and final quit.  I'm looking forward to the day when I set my mind to the complete detox. I admire your courage and determination in sticking through the hell days. 
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey dori,

I do understand the mood swings in relation to nicotine levels. My "weaning off" was kind of backwards, as I reduced my nicotine levels by replacing specific sets of cigarettes with a nicotine lozenge, a step at a time. Since a single lozenge every 2 hours had way less nicotine than the cigarettes I would have smoked in that time, each shift in behavior was also a reduction in nicotine. By the time, I was only using the lozenges, I had already reduced my nicotine levels several times.

Believe me, I felt each drop. I would be kind of depressive--overly sensitive and kind of weepy sometimes--for a few days after each successive shift. Then there would be the internal questions: Am I feeling this way because of nicotine withdrawal or because of what is actually happening here? Also, am I feeling this way because of the nicotine withdrawal or am I just screwy? I found some of that to be very disorienting. 

So, by the time, I went "cold turkey," I was sick and tired of the mood swings and just wanted to get it over with. I was tired of questioning what was me, the nicotine, or the environment around me. I feel a lot more stable and sane now that the nicotine is out of my system.

...So, yes, I think you will feel better once you get this all over with. I just don't want you to do it if there is some medical danger to going cold turkey when nicotine levels are high. I also don't know how high your levels are. That's why I said to check with your doctor.

As for giving into the cravings, I can attest that the really intense, demanding, screaming addict will give you release within 3 days. If you can hold out long enough to detox, it all calms down. I literally had a sense of "ah" at some point. It was as if I had been exorcised. While I may think about and even desire a cigarette these days, it is nothing like the addict's craves that I had going on for about a quarter century. Detox really is a big step towards freedom. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,536.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 9

Minutes: 45 Seconds: 57

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: