Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Advice anyone?

16 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Angela, sorry you are having a hard time, but quitting is hard. Now with that said, you can quit. It is hard, but you are stronger than you realize at this moment. I smoked for 45 yrs. 3 packs a day at the end, and I managed. You can also... With each crave that you get through, the easier they become. As far as driving, I had some fake little cigs from many years ago, I kept one in the car and at red lights I would pick it up and play and suck on it. You might try a peppermint stick or something similiar. I was never big on candy but used lifesavers(not as sweet as I remembered) some. You need to change the routine until you find something that helps you... You can do everything without a cigerette. They do not help in situation. Hang in, you can do it.... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 116 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,983 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1392 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
16 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you everyone for your encouragement and help. My cravings have subsided a little. I don't have them constantly just occasionally (like every couple hours). I plan on going to the health food store this weekend to check on those tea tree sticks. I bought some twizzlers and bit off the ends and "smoked" :) them like a cig. My boyfriend started to laugh, but then realized that it actually helped my craves. I must admit, I'm sure I looked quite funny holding a twizzler like it was a cig. I've been reading alot of other threads and I plan on getting a "nozzly thing" LOL this weekend as well. You all are so awesome! Thanks again for these tips! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/7/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 49 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $22 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
16 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Angela I know it is hard now and my heart goes out to you. We are all stone cold addicts and changing that can be painful. The good news is that it is not terminal...Smoking sadly is...Dom't fight this thing, I know that is easy for me to say, but I am telling you from my own experience...Your body and mind and you are in a way being born again. Yhis will not be without turmoil and pain, but the end is well worth the temporary state in which you find yourself at this moment. I promise you it will get better... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 136 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,283 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $952 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 25 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
16 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
... Hmmm and I have a no slip quit (look at my meter) COLD TURKEY. You can do this! Just hold on tight. I say don't go backwards, move forward! I didn't plan on quitting either (read enough here and you'll find all my posts!) My friend was diagnosed w/lung cancer (she has since passed) and that is what motivated me. And I have not looked back since! YOU keep going:) Healer [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 431 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 15,105 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2004.15 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
16 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Angela, More power to you not using the patch BUT, Ive tried to quit cold trukey before. I always relapsed eventually, whether it was 1 day 5 days or even 7+ days. The patch is the ONLY thing that has ever enabled me to quit this long. Im over 2 weeks now for the first time in 15 years. The patch is easing me off the nicotine gradually, and also reminds me that even if I wanted to I cant smoke. Everyone is different, this is just my take on it from my personal experience.
16 years ago 0 519 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
If the cravings are that bad, you might need to give your willpower a little boost, the patch or the gum. I chose the gum. Frankly my willpower is pretty non-existent. If it were not for the gum, I wouldn't have made it through the first day. I had really intense cravings that seemed to last without a break for days on end even with the gum. Keep in mind that it does get better. It really does. I smoked for almost 50 years. It will take a while, but you will win.
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Angela, Nice to see you on day 3! Congrats! Please take the time to work through our online quit program. It is a great ressource for tips & tricks on how to cope with cravings. Danielle _____________________ The SSC Support Team
16 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm not using anything to help curb the cravings, just my willpower. I wasn't really prepared to quit, I just decided on Monday that I was done. My grandpa died of emphysema(sp?) several years ago, so I started thinking, "What am I doing!" Had I set a quit date and prepared myself, I probably would've taken some meds or gotten the patch or gum. I'm almost at my 3 day mark so I'd really like to keep progressing instead of putting nicotine(patches, gum) back into my body. Everytime I get a craving, I try to get on here and read things that other people have written. Needless to say, I've been on here almost all day! LOL :) I am definitely going to look into trying all of these great natural ideas that people keep throwing at me. I really like the twizzler idea! I can totally see myself throwing it out the window as if it were a cig! :) I knew from the beginning that this wasn't going to be easy, but at least I know that I'm not alone at that there are others out there who are being tempted just like me who are NOT giving in to something as small as a cigarette. Thanks everyone! Keep these ideas coming! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/7/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 44 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $11 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
16 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Are you using anything to help? I reccomend the Haiboitrol patch. Especially if your a heavy smoker. Not only does it help, it reminds you that if you smoke on the patch, you could die really soon. I know thats sounds crazy but its helped me a lot. Also I cant reccomend the Austrailian Tea Tree Chewing sticks enough. You can find them at all naturaul health food places. They are toothpicks made for chewing that have all naturaul tewa tree oils that are very strong menthol and even give your mouth a little naturaul buzz. Stay Strong! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 318 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $82.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
16 years ago 0 156 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Angela, After eating was really hard for me so was going for a drive. I drank alot of water would eat licorice. You don't have a sweet tooth you can try licorice root which could be purchased at a health food store. Many quitters here have use pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds in the shell. This keeps your hand and mouth busy to get past those urges. I would have strawberry twizzlers in the car to give me something to reach for. I would bite off the ends and inhale during the drive but don't be surprised if you find yourself laughing after chewing it down a bit an rolling down the window to throw it out. I found myself throwing candy out the window like it was a cigarette. You can do this!!! Stay close, post often and ask for help any time you need!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 54 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,919 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $594 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40

Reading this thread: