Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,511 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

How´s it going?

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The sun is trying to shine through a thin layer of cloud. I slept in a bit after being up for part of the night. Well that doesn't much matter. I can always have a nap. It looks like the cloud may come down as snow. 
I have the residual foggy feeling this morning from last night, but that is all, it will pass. I have things to do once I wake up. 
Wow, the sun has come through and is bright. Now this does feel nice. 
I hope everyone is having a nice day, it is just starting here.

Davit
Another fine day full of positive thought. Mostly anyway. Well maybe ten to one but that is enough to keep panic at bay. 
Depending on how many negative thoughts you have in memory as little as three positives for each negative can be enough but the more the better. So ten to one, that is pretty good. Another day farther away from the black hole and it is getting harder to remember the panic attacks in detail. I will never forget I had them but that thought triggers nothing but a smile now. Panic situations trigger answers not questions. A much better way to be.

I'm getting more done now also and doing it with ease. And I'm doing things because I want to. Truth of the matter is I ache a lot and the weather sucks but I don't care. Besides tomorrow is another chance to make it better. Just had a Beatles song go through my head :-) yes I am that old. Hey Jude :-)  Associated memory and that is what comes up. Well it could have been worse. In the past it would have been.

Davit

Days are getting longer. The sun is rising and so am I. 

Warm and windy. Some snow will disappear today. Into my well I hope. The aquifer is quite low. Too many hot dry summers. Not enough snow in winter. I hope this summer is different. A little more rain would be nice.
What will be will be. There are worse things.
Time to get some seeds ordered.

Davit

Oh and happy Valentines day to all who have one.
So here we are ten days later and it is melting again. It even rained a bit.
I Wish I could change my physical condition as easy as the weather.
I wish I could change it as easy as my mental condition.

Once I set my mind to it and once I accepted that it was going to be a whole different way of thinking than what the world requires I was on the road to recovery. Of course since with my physical disability I had to live a whole different way than I was used to so it wasn't that hard to adapt a different way of thinking. Still accepting that the mind works faster than this computer I'm typing on was a bit tough. But once I thought about it, it became obvious that with all the changes the body makes every second the mind had to just to survive. Conscious thought is just a fraction of it's capability. All movement just a fraction. Sorting all that is happening around me just a fraction. The memory bank used to make decisions alone had to be huge and fast to make split second decisions.
So where did it go wrong. It didn't. It used the information over a life time to make decisions. And those decisions led to an anxiety disorder and once the flood gates were open there was no stopping it. All this information stored for years was suddenly available. A forbidden door was open. All others were closed. Like trying to close the doors on a closet when the shelves collapse. You can't, first you need to rebuild the shelves stronger than they ever were and then you have to put every thing back. Only this time you have to put what you want at eye level and what you don't want but may need in the back. Not gone just not handy.
Pills are just like taping the door half shut. Nothing can get out but you can't take anything out either. Rebuilding the storage is still the answer. And that takes time. No light weight shelving and braces just waiting for a collapse but steady rebuilding with the right material. And proper sorting, get it right the first time.
I learned the hard way there are no short cuts. Change really means change. Permanent change not just for today and tomorrow we can go back. There is no going back. You can remember and you can look back but your feet have to keep moving forward. And if it is too hard then go back or take the pills but you will be missing out on all you could be.  It at least can be fixed unlike my Arthritis, but I'm working on it and if nothing else fixing the mental side has made the physical side a whole lot easier to live with.
Do I ever think it isn't worth it?  Yes probably some time every day, difference is I know that it is wrong. I believe it is worth it and that is the key to happiness. I didn't always understand and I didn't always believe.
Davit.

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow that's cold! I need to go for a walk. My neck has been bothering me, but I went for a workout. Maybe I can skip going to a chiropractor, since he's moved on. Tomorrow I've got to get a doc in for mom.
Wow.
Minus 31 Celsius this morning. You don't want to be out there long. Seems it is going to be like this all week. At least I don't have to go anywhere. I need eggs but it can wait. I can hear things pop in the cold as they shrink in the cold. It is a strange phenomena. When water freezes it expands till a certain temp then shrinks again. Lake Athabaska where I lived in my younger days would get a huge pressure ridge when the ice would push up thirty feet in the air for miles. The sun would shine on it and it would be a pale blue. Some times the ice would be six feet thick. I've been out on the lake when it was forming and it feels like an earthquake. Then there would be a temp change and it would go back down. If it was a big change the lake would open up. It was exciting and scary at the same time. My heart would race with anxiety, but never once did it cause a panic attack. Once I was off the ice it would go away. I never have panic dreams about that. I figure because it was a time I really enjoyed. There is probably a connection between being unhappy and panic attacks. Or at least a remembrance of unhappy. Maybe just wasted years. 
Time to put more wood in the stove. I think I will make chicken noodle soup for lunch. probably fish for supper. Fish as a reminder of the good days living on the shore of Lake Athabasca and temperatures a lot colder than this.

Davit
Well my air card fell apart today and I patched it up again but it may not last. I will be ordering a new one to run on the new system but it might not be available till March 31 or my system might not work after that date. So if I'm gone it won't be for long. 

Davit
I'm having a good day and it is early yet. The sun is shining but it is cold.

My guest has extended her stay a few more days but it is too cold to do anything outside. Yesterday we had Irish stew made out of the left over lamb. That and the last of the raspberry pie and whipped cream. Sour cherry wine and chocolate eclairs from England. Not exactly helping with the weight loss.

Making French bread today and bagels.

I need to make an appointment  for my car to check out a rattle I think is in the exhaust.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Davit
The key board on my bigger laptop failed so I bought a microsoft key board that plugs into the USB port. I was surprised that it was only 20 dollars Canadian. Probably cheaper in the States. It works well. Lap tops are okay if you type one finger as I do but the keyboard is in the wrong place for two hand. You can buy velcro and elastic braces for the wrist too that might help. I wear the numbers and letters off because I'm such a blabber mouth. Only thing I miss on the plug in key board is that it isn't lighted like my lap top key board.
I'm an information junky, never more happy than when I'm learning something new. You can never know too much. It can be a bit of a strain though. I've had so many different jobs and so many experiences. Saved me a lot of time and money not having to hire someone. And I have made mistakes but that is part of learning. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Look only half a page, I must be tired.

Davit.

Ps, it seems that if I push myself one day I lose it the next so it sort of evens out so now I just do what I can and settle for that. If my friend decides to stay it will reduce the load and things will get easier while she is here. It is not uncommon for friends to live together just to lessen the physical and financial load. I've done this more than once and always parted friends. It works best if a person takes it for what it is and doesn't get silly expectations. Life is an experience and should be treated as that. 
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit, I never miss a post you write(unless it's over a page and a half). You're inspiring! I used a book called "Mind Over Mood", which has a worksheet which allows you to compare what you get done compared to your plans, and expectations. This was something I wished to do since I have this nagging feeling of just not doing enough, although I was out of it up to today. Today was the first normal day after a couple of weeks, and I seem "productive", and surprised myself. I think I need to get an ergonomic keyboard, instead of using this laptop. This was suggested years ago, and it's overdue, since I'll need surgery otherwise. it might be too late anyway. There are so many things to resume, with feeling better.

Reading this thread: