Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,531 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Feel Pretty Good !

10 years ago 0 85 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit
I think what is helping me is knowing that eventually these sensations will fade. I have read some distressing things about anxiety that caused me to wonder if I would ever feel "normal". (I dont mean to offend anyone) It was all doom and gloom but I feel encouraged/hopeful here.

I am still working on the breathing techniques. For some reason they make me a little anxious. I think there is definitely a negative attached to the breathing thing for me. I am so so familiar with both cousins...

Wishing you a good one
Naa

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Naa

Thank you.

That is definitely progress in my book. More so for the attitude that will cause you to reach for the negative that causes these symptoms less and less till they are gone. For now, since you know one day they will be gone are they tolerable?
Acceptance is a key to displacing negatives.
Have you tried the progressive muscle relaxation or is there a negative attached to it from it possibly not working before.

This happens, it just has to be proved wrong. It is easier to do because it is only an assumption or thought not an actual core belief although it can be from one. The core belief that says nothing I try works. Cousin to the core belief, I'm not good enough. 

Davit.
Your words give great comfort and hope Davit. Thank you. Hope you've had a great day.

Chest still tight, upper back is still stiff and sore, tummy still knotted, head still aches, fear still present but it all feels a little less intense than it was yesterday. That's progress in my book.
Cbt is the hardest simple thing you will do but. Like doing anything the first time you have to go slow and follow the instructions. Part way through you might find you know what you are doing. Still it is best to follow the instructions. Just to be sure. Especially as I'm sure you will find, things are not always as they seemed at first glance. Why things happen is complicated and everyone of these complications has to be dealt with even if all we are trying to do is this simple in principal thing, "change negative thought to positive",
The mind is fascinating, it can do anything you ask it to at incredible speed. But you must ask it. It can do some things in what seems to be "on it's own". But only as long as they are related. In truth it is saying is this what you want. And memory says this is what we did last time or these are the possibilities. Hopefully it is looking at "possibilities" instead of "last time" if last time is negative. Especially if you are still getting attacks. At some point the possibilities will almost all be positive and memory will be positive so it won't matter if it uses "last time or "possibilities". At this point life smooths out and panic stops becoming attacks and becomes normal anxiety about doing something new. Life becomes yours to control again. At this point "last time" becomes "habit" or "routine" and "possibility" become creativity or imagination. There is one benefit to having learned to look for positive possibilities. You find solutions to problems faster and worry less. 
I've spotted some of you doing this already.

Davit
Maddferit
These words are really encouraging " But it's good to know that life does continue and that panic is only a temporary thing."

I am trying very hard to see it this way too - Well more like waiting to get to the point where I am not afraid if I panic because I know what to do to bring it down - dont add the thoughts and that panic in itself is not harmful.

My problem stems mostly from feeling the sensations and then adding to the sensations with negative thoughts.  As Davit says and Im finding that this is true - cbt is the hardest simplest thing there is!

In a normal world people get sick, physically. In a normal world this hectic, people panic at new things. Some people actually enjoy it.

How many times do you mistake one for the other? How many times does one contribute to the other? 

Removing just one stressor can increase your physical well being. And vice versa. This is a fact proven out by me and others.

maddferit, anything feels better than uncontrolled panic. And I've been through some pretty bad physical stuff.

There is no guaranty that panic won't come back under the right conditions, the guaranty is that you have the right stuff to make it go away again. Like riding a bike, you never forget how and you never forget falling off.

Davit
10 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It feels pretty good to be back to normal. I never really have panic attacks anymore, maybe only one every few months but its only ever minor and it feels nothing like it used to. I hope that's normal ! But it's good to know that life does continue and that panic is only a temporary thing.

But I definitely agree with you Naa, the condition teaches you so much more about yourself. I also think it makes you far more humble and makes you appreciate things more when you have your good days.

D
Thanks for posting what helps you. I have started drinking chamomille tea and I find it relaxing. If anyone had told me a year ago that I would enjoy drinking straight herbal tea I would not have believed it... This condition is teaching me so much about myself and helping me to treat me better... there is a silver lining of sorts right? ;-)
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi D,
Thanks so much for posting and sharing your success and what worked for you with us..I think yours and others experiences and stories shared here helps each of us in many ways. It also helps us know that we are not alone in this and that we can get better..

Red..
Hi maddferit

Thank you for the compliment. I'm glad I helped. I also think Steven Fry said it right. Well worth reading.

And you are right about attitude. You really do have to want to get better. It seems to have worked for us.

Davit.

Reading this thread: