Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,509 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

Panic attack, hands tingling

16 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cornish-Dee All I can say is Wow... You have been through a lot of things.. Many more than myself.. and you should be proud of yourself as you are here..putting yourself out there and trying to work through it (on top of all the other stuff).. It's very inspiring. All of the things you have mentioned are HUGE stressors.. and to have them happen one after another would be too much for anyone.. let alone someone with a predisposition to anxiety. I too believe my anxiety has always been there.. Typical Type A personality I am.. a control freak and all.. The desire or need to be "perfect" overwhelming at times.. I still haven't figured out how to "let go" yet.. lol.. Although my hubby keeps encouraging me... I like my life orderly though.. just like my house etc. My kids have taught me a lot as their joy for each moment lived is often contagious. They know what's going on... :) They have the secret... giggles and hugs and all. Those moments often give me the inner strength to pick myself up and fight this thing even more... You have 5 so along with the "stress" I'm sure there is a lot of joy... try to focus on that "in the moment"... I just bought a workbook that seems to have a lot of great information in it. Very similiear to this Free program but I like being able to flip through it at night or read it on a whim without being at the computer ... "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook" by Edmund J. Bourne... Just an idea... Be sure to keep talking to your doctor.. And I'm sorry for the losses in your life... give yourself time to process it.. it's a lot... Talk soon... and sorry if I rambled.. I tend to do that..lol...
16 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Dazed Mommy , thankyou for the lovely reply :) . Means alot . My history , ive sat back anf thought about this so hard to pin point when ! I guess ive always been an anxious person . Do everything at break neck speed ( you never seen anyone peel spuds so fast in your life lol) . I cant do things slowly whats-so-ever . If i try to relax or go to bed then im planning tomorrows dinner , thinking what kid needs what and when ( i have 5 , although 2 are grown up i have 3 littlies). My first panic attack happened May 2006 . I was sacked from a job where i couldnt phychially do it anyone because of my back problem . My youngest girl broke her arm falling out of bed . Then my alcoholic Aunt and Uncle who i was trying to help and very close to died within 7 days of each other . They were only early fifties . It was awful police involved both times because it was at home . Then bam a panic attack . Well i didnt know it was one at the time i thought it was a heart attack with the pain , tingles etc even called an ambulance !!! I was so bad for months i went to stay with my parents so i didnt detress the kids seeing me like that . My doctors were a joke just wanted me on anti ds . Said to relax !!!! My mums doctor fantastic , they set me up with a mentle health nurse who talked to me everyday on the phone . (espically when my baby bro tried to commit suicide, i was just starting to feel better then too ) I eventually got better but still lived in everyday fear that it would happen again . And so it did this Feb , so thats why im here . I lost my 3yr old cousin, i had a miscarriage in December a week later my nan died . Thought i was coping but couldnt have been . Hey im stopping this is kinder long sorry !!! I dont know how you use the message thingy on here will try nd figure it out . Take care now and thanks again :)
Cornish-dee Don't be gutted... it happens to the best of us..lol... and what you are dealing with is two-fold. You have yourself to look out for as well as your husband. That's a lot to ask of one person. The panic attack was a definate result of the "row" you had. Your adrenaline was pumping (as it does when we fight) and your body had a perfectly normal response. It was your mind that "read it wrong". During a fight we all have anxiety of some sort..and your body read it as a trigger. It's ok.. and it is just another starting point. I'm not sure of your history but I've been battling this since I was 19ish...and am now 34. I've had many years panic free and a few setbacks along the way. Right now is one of them.. It's been two years since my last baby and it's right on schedule..lol. Same thing with my daughter.. 2 years exactly... This time though I'm hoping the coping mechanisms and stuff that I've learned in the past will make this setback shorter and easier. Personally I'm my worst enemy... I get frustrated.. and it seems you do too.. We have to believe in ourselves and be forgiving when it doesn't go the way we want. We learn from each experience even though it doesn't feel like it at the time. If you ever want to chat let me know... we could use the online chat thingy.. lol.. since we can't put email addresses on here. Be strong.. and you just have to pick yourself up again and give it another try.. no matter how hard it is.. You can do it!! and you'll be celebrating another victory before you know it :)
16 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members, Make sure you are journaling your days events. Keep track of what set off your panic attack or what you did on the days that you don't experience any. Keeping track of your symptoms will help prepare you for the next attack or better yet, help you avoid it if you feel one coming on. Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
Hello there DazedMommy . Nice to see you again so to speak lol . Well just had a huge panic attack . BUT an its a big BUT . Reason being is my hubby . He suffers from majour depression and had been so bad for over a week . We had a huge row then bam , back came the panic attack . Im so gutted :(
Cornish-Dee That's awesome!...way to go.. I'm sure it's taken a lot of work on your part! Thanks for letting us know there is light at the end of the tunnel..lol.. I know there is too. I'm coping with a bit of a setback so I'm just plugging along. Enjoy you day!!
Whooooooooooo two days without a panic attack finally !!! Finally light at the end of a very long tunnel :)
Hello Madara . I know where you are coming from . I feel exatly what you have said that something must be wrong etc . Even though you KNOW its the anxiety you still doubt it . Im at the moment constantly 'fuzzing' in my hands , espically arms , legs face and lips . I hate it . It gets to the point where i cant even feel things properly because my hands are that numb . This happened to me two years ago and it went away , so deep down i know it can again . Hope you are feeling better
16 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for sharing that with us:) It is very comforting to hear :) -Diva
16 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, I can relate to the hands tingling. Sometimes my hands and arms would go numb and I would even lose feeling in my hands completely (it's like they would just freeze). It was SO terrifying and I was, of course, sure that this was really bad and that there was something genuinely physically wrong with me. But, as others have said, this really was a symptom of panic. I wish I knew how it all worked because (for me) there was such a strong physical component to panic attacks. Hopefully someday we'll know why this happens and where in the brain it happens. But as terrifying as it is, it is not dangerous. I went through that many times and I am OK. In fact I haven't had a panic attack in 6 years. There is hope! There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Reading this thread: