Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,537 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Did any one else have a driving phobia?

10 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'll check it out. :) 

When my parents aren't on my back and constantly focusing on the future that really helps.

I'm not new to this. Been doing techniques for many, many years. My anxiety is formed from environment and rumination. 
10 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Megski84,

How do you think you go about learning coping skills Megski? I have a  hunch you can answer your own question.

You learn coping skills through working the  program,  searching the forums,  talking  to a counsellor, reading, researching practicing,  etc. Overcoming anxiety does take  quite a bit of work. But  like with any skill and any type of learning, practice makes perfect. Search for coping mechnisms that work for you. For starters,  check out the sections on  Relaxation tecniques and Worry. I'd be interested in  hearing  about anything you find that works for you. Keep us updated.

Ashley, Health Educator
Exposure is futile without coping skills.

How do I obtain coping skills?
Coping skills definitely helps and so does meditation. Makes a difference before I drive. 

Yep I can't drive on 1st day of my period.
Haha I see Davit :) 

Well, it's nice you're here to help people. 
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, they might not have as much time as me. A lot of people leave as soon as they can drive again.

Davit
Coping skills are crucial. that's for sure!

Btw does anyone else post on these? 
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Megski

I answered this but can't find it. So I'll do it again. 
It is about focus. In a snow storm the focus is on two things, the snow and the road. Nothing else matters. On a clear day in traffic there are to many points of focus. When you have another person in the car who can drive you have an escape so you are in control and again the focus is on this other person and the road. Take that person out of the car and you have too many points of focus and have lost your control of the situation. 
Sitting by the side of the road you still have too many points of focus but you are not moving. Driving slow on the shoulder would put the focus on driving and the edge of the road and get you to where you could get off it.  On good days you will find you have fewer points of focus or a distraction that reduces the number. Your period possibly does this or the hormones does. Can't say because I'm male.
The problem is that you try to block all the points of focus instead of accepting them and letting them go to give you control of the situation instead of them controlling you. The more you try to block them the more confused and scared you will get.
Exposure is not the answer with out coping skills. You need to deal with how your mind treats all the points of focus.

Davit
Ok, why can I drive just fine even in bad weather with someone in the car who knows how to drive or a good friend but then I'm totally different when alone?

Why was I able to go farther last week than this week? Is it due to not driving 5 days in a row? My period? Me having a cold? The stress people are placing on me? 

What techniques do you recommend for me to drive comfortably? What do you recommend if I feel an attack coming on? What words do you recommend I tell myself? How long does it take to overcome this extremely annoying phobia? 

Reading this thread: