Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

If i cant..i cant.

11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bren

I don't do gifts any more as a special occasion and it doesn't bother me. People who matter know what shape I'm in. I do give things but not as any special occasion, just because I have it and they might like it.
There is too much emphasis on giving rather than sharing. If someone can afford to share with you then enjoy it and don't worry about not giving back. Often "Thank You" is the best gift. 

Davit.
11 years ago 0 424 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Hugs...but i was talking about Christmas gifts and giving....i am not sure what your discussing,i am not dying...so for those who may not understand...its about Giving gifts for Christmas...
Bren
11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi bren67, 

I think it's good that you stuck to your own rule since that is an easy one that quickly gets out of hand.
Instead of going out to buy something for your friends in return, can you take a creative route and make something?  Perhaps invite them over for a dinner together?  Even simply calling them to thank them  - making a human connection makes a huge impact and is extra special at this time of year.  Please don't be too hard on yourself for this.  I'm sure your friends will be understanding - maybe not even expecting anything in return.

Thinking of you!
Vincenza, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bren,
There's a saying which goes "you do what you have to do".  In your case, you've drawn the line.

Very often, though, there's stuff which you're going to give away for your estate.  If the friend is close enough, and there's something that you would will to him/her anyway, it's better to send that goodwill, and declutter now, than to burden the executor.  It might have been better to give the grandchildren keepsakes now, and use the spending for the non-family friend.

Now I understand what the elders were doing being so generous with young people!  I had to start thinking about end of life recently, after a talk by a hospice organization, which recommended the "talk" with family, as early as possible.

Look at what happened in Connecticut.  Coincidently, mom wishes to pray with a rosary, and asked about repairing one for herself.

I've got far too much stuff, and could regift a lot, too...hope this doesn't get you down, Bren, since you've had a tough year  Personally, I don't want to leave anyone a mess of things to do....
11 years ago 0 424 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I got a nice gift from some friends a couple days ago....but i had made rules this year..i could not afford to buy anything for other than the grand children...so today,i was headed out to get my last gift card,for the last grand child,and was feeling that i need to send the friend some kind of gift...but,i did send a nice card,and thank them for the gift..but i stuck to my own rule,and did not send them a gift,it hurts me that the times are very hard on many this year..and on us aswell,so cut backs are nessesary..i feel badly about it..and angry too..how would you handle this situation??
Bren

Reading this thread: