Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Tips for therapist.

12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Anerol:  so nice to hear from you and glad you are thinking of seeking a therapist to help you on your path to wellness.  I found a therapist through the hospital.  I didn't care for the first one so asked for another and though put on a waiting list, did get another and was much better.  Good luck in your search.  I wouldn't worry about asking what you think are stupid questions.  We are not experts in everything.  When your car is broken who do you go to? a mechanic.  When your teeth need some work, who do you go to?  a dentist.  There are so many specialized professions in the world now, we can't possibly know everything.  Even your therapist-to-be doesn't know everything. Bet you know more about art than he/she will and they'd have to ask you questions, they're not artists.  See what I mean?  Therapists love it when you ask lots of questions, usually means you are very interested and motivated to get well, a real positive.

Your friend, Sunny
12 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anerol,

Thanks for checking in.  Do ask your doctor for a referral or who they would recommend.  You can also go on line and read through a therapists site to gain better information to see if they are the "one" for you.

Don't forget to check with your local clinic and hospital too!

Josie, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
anerol

Good to see you again. I was refered to my thereapist by my GP. In BC it is part of the public health system and we do not pay for it.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone. I am an old member here, but haven't been on for over 6 months. For those who used to be on here with me, hope you are doing great. I'm doing ok. I was wondering if someone can give me some tips on starting with a therapist. I've been researching therapists in my era.. but there isn't much info about them online. Does everyone just call and ask questions on their first call or... how does this work? I've been agoraphobic for so long that I don't really know how to start this. I am still afraid to just make that first call. I'm afraid of sounding stupid by asking weird questions and I'm nervous about talking to someone about my problems because I don't want to cry or be embarrassed. But I am also very eager to change my life and this feeling has grown more and more bigger that I am willing to just close my eyes and jump. Thank you for your help.

Reading this thread: