Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Yikes going to the Dentist!!!

16 years ago 0 165 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lester, Thank you for responding. I thankfully do not have to have a root canal just fillings,cleaning, and a crown. I will do whatever it takes to be calm.
16 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm sorry, my previous message was meant for angiebaby more so than Lorlee, my bad. For both of you though, practice deep breathing and take one of those small CD players with earphones with you, along with a relaxion CD, or a CD of relaxing music. It will help immensly. Good Luck to both of you!! YOU CAN DO IT!!
16 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Lorlee, you do not need to worry about any blood during a root canal. I've had 6 done and have never seen a drop. There is virtually no pain involved either. The dentist will give you novacaine(sp?), then drill a small hole in the center of the tooth (just like a filling). when he/she exposes the nerve of the tooth (don't worry, you can't feel it!) they will use a small file to remove the nerve. You can tell they are filing by the sound and your head bobbing, but you WON'T feel any pain. Once that is done, they will insert the file and do an x-ray to make sure they have enough of the nerve removed. If all is well, they will now fill the hole with small pieces of a special rubber rod until the hole is filled, then put a temporary filling in the tooth. In about a week, they will check for infection (EXTREMELY RARE) and if all is OK, install the crown. I'm sorry for being so graphic with the details, but trust me, it's not bad at all. A fast dentist can do the whole job in about 30 minutes. The only time i have ever felt any pain is when the first piece of rubber rod is pushed in, and that only lasted a couple seconds. I do understand your concern, I hate the dentist more than anything, but the procedure is no worse than having a filling done. I hope this answers your question(s). Good Luck to you, and try not to worry about it!
16 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated. You know, if push come to shove as it were i can cope with pain, i have had three children, lol. But i associate the pain with bleeding and i would feel much better if i know for sure that the work that i will be having, root canal and crown, that there will not be any blood at all. It will hurt when the needles go in, i know that and i will be just about able to cope with that i think because i know that it doesn't bleed. But while he is working and after i need to know that there will not be any blood. Thanks again, Ang.x
Hi Angiebaby, I have no desire to freak you out at all about going to the Dentist. What I plan on doing is what Josie suggested. I am going to make a list of questions and concerns I have and speak to the Dentist first. Maybe you are like me and require extra freezing. Discussing this with the Dentist will help. My daughter takes a pill before she goes and it calms her down quite abit so she can go to her appointments. I will try to find out what they are for you. As for root canals I think if you have enough freezing they don't hurt. For me it is all the sounds that get to me so if they don't have headphones at the office bring an ipod or walkman with you with calming music you like. I would also suggest bringing somebody with you for moral support. Like you I have been unable to smile for a really long time and I am going to focus on how good it will feel at the end of all this to be able to again. I think people like us focus on the fear of the unknown, so if we can let the Dentist know that we might require a little TLC to sit in the chair they will try to accomodate us.
16 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lorlee, i am terrified of dentists since a very traumatic experience at the tender age of 6!! My dentist was always a mad man, terrible and no patience at all. I was always sedated when younger and of course they don't do that know. But since my problems two years ago, i could not have the sedation that they offer now, they do not put you under any more! So i would have to grin and bare it so to speak. My front tooth broke off last year and i had to go then, i went to a private dentist, i was a wreck, he was ok, they are used to scared patients. I went four times to see the dental hygienist and they put a temporary shaped piece of cement onto my broken tooth until i was to go for a crown. Of course i never went back. Then the cement came off, i had to go back and he did the same again. I was supposed to return for the proper root canal work and crown, but never did. I have guarded this cement with my life, cannot bite anything. I have never been able to smile, ever!! And of course since this has happened it is even worse. I hate the way people look at my mouth when i am talking and trying my best not to open my mouth very wide so they can't see. I would love to have a smile, i am 37 now and have never experienced a smile. They said my teeth need some work but they are ok really, just need one possibly two crowns. But another problem i have is the fact that since the problem when i was 6, and i saw blood draining away, i have been scared of my own blood, especially in the mouth and nose region. TERRIFIED!! To the point of cannot cope at all. I am trying to get the money together, private dentist you know, to go as i have lots of lovely lipsticks for one, that i would love to wear and can't at the moment. Then i will HAVE to go and have it done i suppose. Dreading it. Loree, could you please let me know what i will be going through for a root canal, any pain, any blood, as i am so scared, just typing this is sending me off already. Please reply as soon as you can, i'm scared. Thankyou.
16 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I find that imagine or visualising in a positive way how things are going to go helps me out a lot. Also doing breathing and relaxation exercises just before the event helps too I find. Anyway, hope this helps :) You can do this! You go girl! -Diva
16 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lorlee, Prepare for this and begin to challenge that fear! Use the exposure exercises to help you conquer this and perhaps write down a list of questions and concerns for your dentist. We can't wait to see your new smile :) Josie ______________________________ The Panic Center Support Team.
Hi everyone, Well I have not been to the dentist in about a year and a half. The last time I went it was so painful that I have been unable to go back. I usually require extra freezing which my dentist knows but for some reason she ignored at our last appointment. I was so traumatized by the experience I get sick at the thought of going back. The thing is I had a root canal done on a front tooth many years ago but could not afford a crown. Now the tooth has darkened considerably so I try not to smile and cover my mouth alot when talking to people. My boyfriends parents have very generously offered to pay for my crown. I am so overwhelmed by the offer but they have no idea that I am terrified of going to the dentist even if it means I can finally smile again. So not only do I have to go to the dentist, I will have to find a new one and explain what a big chicken I am and that I will sit in the chair crying like a baby. It bugs me that something I have desired for so long is finally going to happen for me ( people have no idea how much you miss smiling until you can't)and I can't even be happy because I am soooo scared. Any ides would help alot.

Reading this thread: