Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Am hoping it works this time

5 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This really resonated with me - the mental health aspect of a quit. If anything, I found that smoking made my agitation levels even worse... and then I would smoke even more to try combat that. Idiotic I know but its what I used to do. Then you have the argument and feel so pumped up after it, you needed to smoke again. Just shows how powerful a drug nicotine can be. Now I picture it this way... as a child and for the first 16 years of my life I didn't smoke. Even though my life tests in those 16 years are very different to what I face now at 36, I didn't need nicotine back then to see myself through whatever came up. What makes me think now that I need it now at 38. Ive lost many people in my life because of arguments and I don't want to chase people away anymore. The only one being chased from my life is that recurrent saying 'a pack of Marlboro lights please' every day! no one no more! not one puff ever.
  • Quit Meter

$513,166.90

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6704 Hours: 12

Minutes: 29 Seconds: 18

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Red Ryder,
 Welcome to the stop smoking center. Sorry to hear that you have absolutely NO support at home for your quit journey. That's going to make it harder on you, especially since he still smokes. You've quit before though and you can do it again I'm sure.  As you know, there is no such thing as "just one", no matter what your brain tells you. "My relapses are a combination of stress triggers and lack of support from my husband". You can't really do much about the latter, but you can do something about the stress triggers. Best thing I can think of is, if you can find the time, read through these forums for some helpful hints and tricks. There is all kinds of good information buried in here. What worked for one person may not work for you but a variation of it might help you out. 
Like you, one of the best things I've found for dealing with stress is deep breathing. Slowly inhale through the nose, hold a few seconds, slowly exhale through the mouth like you're blowing out candles. Four or five times and it really helps calm the nerves. 
 "Looking forward to having an outlet like this forum". It's a great place to vent too when the urges get overwhelming. By the time you are done posting, the urge should be gone.  Hope you are still on your quit journey. Keep us posted on your progress okay?
Stay strong.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,213.85

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 772 Hours: 13

Minutes: 42 Seconds: 3

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 180 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome!  Your post really resonated with me.  I found posting here a lot really helped me to stay accountable, stay in the right mindset, and celebrate the process.  I hope the same for you :)
5 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello, I smoked for 4 years when I was 18. One cigarette led to a pack a day. Quit, using exercise to curb my cravings. Fast forward 40 years! 4 years ago my now husband smoked. I had one cigarette and, yes, it turned into a pack a day. He smoked a pack a day for 41 years until a bladder cancer diagnosis last year. We both quit. He smokes a pipe now. My relapses are a combination of stress triggers and lack of support from my husband. The longest I've stopped smoking was 2 months, twice. The latest attempt started last week and after my fourth day I mentioned how I was craving a cigarette. His response was "then just smoke". Which I did. I smoked my last cigarette last night. The first few days are actually the easiest because I'm determined. And I've never gotten cranky. A lot of deep breathing and snacks though. I know that in order to be successful I can't say anything to him about it. Up until January this year I went to the gym 2-3 times a week (low cardio...lol). Just tired of being embarrassed by it and living a double life. I would time my cigarettes so I could brush my teeth, etc. for fear that someone at the gym would smell it on me. It controls me and I can't stand it. Looking forward to having an outlet like this forum. This is a first for me. Thanks for listening.
  • Quit Meter

$17,964.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 285 Hours: 10

Minutes: 25 Seconds: 14

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: