Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,503 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr

Over this habit

5 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Nathan,

Congratulations on well over 17 days now! It sounds like you are determined and motivated  to be rid of this addiction. 

How are you doing today?

Ashley, Health Educator
5 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi NJT,
 Welcome to the site. "Day three came and sweet Jesus, that day was just living hell. Ain't it the truth! I got a good chuckle out of that one. "I barely get cravings and when I do they seem to be a habitual times, such as after dinner, or with my morning coffee." These too will pass in time, after we reprogram our brain to live WITHOUT  those darned cigarettes. Sounds like you have your quit pretty well under control. Drinking lots of fluids, eating fruits and getting exercise. It's a whole new life style compared to what it used to be like. Just be sure and watch out for all those triggers that are everywhere. They will sneak up on you when you least expect it, and your guard is down.
Stay strong.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,183.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 771 Hours: 13

Minutes: 52 Seconds: 24

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello community. Here's my introduction:

On Oct 10 2018, I awoke at night hacking and starving for air. Never had anything like that before in my life. Same thing occurred the following night. On the 12th, I went to Doctors, where I was told I had Acute Bronchitis, due to smoking. As I walked back to my truck, I thought it's either I breathe or I smoke, I chose the previous. I started smoking lightly around age 15 and here I was at 40, dreading the worse, carrying around a tank at 50, dead by 60. Funny, I never thought my habit was out of control, at around 30 per day and up until my late 30's, I actually enjoyed it.

I made the call to stop smoking right then and there, in my truck, in a parking lot. I grabbed my smokes walked over to the nearest garbage bin and tossed them out. Here I am, 17 days later and still haven't had a smoke. I barely get cravings and when I do they seem to be a habitual times, such as after dinner, or with my morning coffee. Honestly, I was unaware of what the withdrawal would be like, I just thought I'd be fighting cravings all day long for weeks. Within 1 day, I could breath a lot better ( I do work manual labour and I'm pretty active outdoors), day 2 even better. I thought "Wow, this is gunna be real easy". Day three came and sweet Jesus, that day was just living hell. The insomnia kicked in, sleep 20 mins, stay awake for 5 hours, rinse and repeat. Day 4 same thing, but now the lack of sleep was really catching up. Felt like I wasn't even on this planet, almost like a zombie, but yet no serious cravings. By the end of the 7-8th day, i was getting at least 5 hours of sleep a night, plus grabbing cat naps if I could. The Bronchitis seems to have slowly cleared up, but now I'm into smokers cough, which isn't bad and some days worse then others. There was also the mild cold/flu feeling of malaise, the zero patience for anything. Sitting at a red light any longer than 20 seconds, I just wanted to run the light. Turns out this is a time when I'd usually light up. As the days turned into the second week and into the third, it's getting easier, I think. I still don't have strong cravings and I can be around smokers without losing it. In fact I look at them smoking and think "They're digusting".

Day 17 is today. I don't get winded out, I drink a lot of water, eating fruits and getting plenty of exercise. I started running as well and can run roughly 300 meters with ease. All I have is a sore throat, put on a few pounds and I'm still battling what I suspect to be smokers cough, I wish it was far more productive, IE: where is this black stuff I hear people coughing up? lol.  I'm also a tad paranoid on how much damage I have done, will this cough go away etc. All I can say for anyone struggling is to just keep at it and power through. When I get the odd craving or question if this is worth it, I just watch videos of people dying of cancer due to smoking or read stories of the same effect. If that doesn't scare you off, what will, really?

I've spent over half my life smoking and plan on spending the other half not.

Nathan
  • Quit Meter

$572,140.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6985 Hours: 23

Minutes: 41 Seconds: 50

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked