Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

help me

7 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Prayer,

I am sorry to hear you have been feeling this way. When it comes to shortness of breath it is best to be assessed by a doctor. Have you had panic attacks in the past? If so, how did you cope then? Anxiety can increase when quitting smoking - remember this is temporary. Once you are through withdrawal your anxiety will actually be lessened. 

When it comes to the panic attacks you may want to check out our sister site paniccenter.net. Check out the section on relaxation techniques. Also, practice grounding and deep, slow breathing when you are having an attack.

Grounding is very focused on the senses. When you are practicing the activity try to really immerse yourself in your sense.

Look for 5 things of different colours in your area
Listen for 4 different sounds
Touch 3 different touch sensations and be mindful of the feeling (cold, hard, soft, rough, etc)
Smell tow different smells
Taste on thing and really savor it

I hope this helps! How are you feeling now?

Ashley, Health Educator
7 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
stopped smoking 4 days ago. mostly cold turkey. Have acute bronchitis that would not resolve and doctor told me I had to quit smoking. now I am having panic attacks, shortness of breath and coughing. please help

Reading this thread: