Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

My Second Attempt

7 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hope you were successful in your second attempt..Can you provide bit more details here.
7 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Original Post by: diablobunny
Hi everyone :) I've been reading through a few of the other posts and it's been really inspiring and comforting to hear about others' experience, so I thought I would share my own.

My quit date is tomorrow. This is my second serious attempt at quitting. My first was just over a year ago. I managed 3 weeks without smoking, although I was using an e-cig (nicotine inhaler). It's been useful going through the program and looking at my previous attempt more critically to see where I might have done things a little better, and why I eventually slipped up. I've had a few snags this time around (washer broke so couldn't wash my smoky clothes, a big pile of stress at work) but I've put this off a few months running now and I decided there will always be some reason not to, so why not just try it? 

This time, I'm trying to go cold turkey. I've thought long and hard about the alternatives, but I suppose in the end it depends whether you like your pain in small doses or all at once. For me, I think I'm a 'pull the plaster off fast' kind of person, and that's why I'm trying cold turkey this time. When I used an e-cig, I think this gave me the false impression that quitting would be easier than it was, because I wasn't really letting go of nicotine at all. In fact, I was likely getting more of it, as I was using it in places I wouldn't normally smoke, and I've been smoking more since I went back to it as a result. I also feel that going through full-frontal withdrawal and, hopefully, making it through to the other side, will make me think more than twice about slipping back into old habits, knowing just how hard it was to do the first time around. 

I'm hoping to provide an update tomorrow to see how my first day went, and whether I'm crazy for trying cold turkey! Hope you're all doing well on your respective journeys :) 

It is tough for sure to quit..I hope you are doing well in your second attempt..
8 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Original Post by: Ashley, Health Educator
Welcome!

Congrats on getting started. Going Cold Turkey is a great goal. I think letting go of the ecig was a good choice. There is currently no research indicating that the ecig helps people quit. In fact, some research suggests it can reinforce the habit - like you experienced.

It has been a few days since you posted. How are you doing today?

Ashley, Health Educator
Not that much great! Cold turkey is a ever hardest way of quitting as i know. I tried a couple of time and went off in a couple of days itself. So now i decided to set a goal date for quitting and travel on that meanwhile reducing myself to the use of cig's...Love to get an update on your case ---OP
8 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
well i had to go cold turkey cause anything i used just made me want to smoke even more. hang in there.
8 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome!

Congrats on getting started. Going Cold Turkey is a great goal. I think letting go of the ecig was a good choice. There is currently no research indicating that the ecig helps people quit. In fact, some research suggests it can reinforce the habit - like you experienced.

It has been a few days since you posted. How are you doing today?

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone :) I've been reading through a few of the other posts and it's been really inspiring and comforting to hear about others' experience, so I thought I would share my own.

My quit date is tomorrow. This is my second serious attempt at quitting. My first was just over a year ago. I managed 3 weeks without smoking, although I was using an e-cig (nicotine inhaler). It's been useful going through the program and looking at my previous attempt more critically to see where I might have done things a little better, and why I eventually slipped up. I've had a few snags this time around (washer broke so couldn't wash my smoky clothes, a big pile of stress at work) but I've put this off a few months running now and I decided there will always be some reason not to, so why not just try it? 

This time, I'm trying to go cold turkey. I've thought long and hard about the alternatives, but I suppose in the end it depends whether you like your pain in small doses or all at once. For me, I think I'm a 'pull the plaster off fast' kind of person, and that's why I'm trying cold turkey this time. When I used an e-cig, I think this gave me the false impression that quitting would be easier than it was, because I wasn't really letting go of nicotine at all. In fact, I was likely getting more of it, as I was using it in places I wouldn't normally smoke, and I've been smoking more since I went back to it as a result. I also feel that going through full-frontal withdrawal and, hopefully, making it through to the other side, will make me think more than twice about slipping back into old habits, knowing just how hard it was to do the first time around. 

I'm hoping to provide an update tomorrow to see how my first day went, and whether I'm crazy for trying cold turkey! Hope you're all doing well on your respective journeys :) 

Reading this thread: