Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,622 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

I quit on Thanksgiving Day 2014

9 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks "Working On It". I see you are now at 2&3/4 years. Best of luck - Caoimh
9 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations, Caoimh on working through some of your triggers. Part of the process of getting free is facing various triggers (like hotel rooms, in your case) and not smoking. What happens each time is that you kind of untie that association between a triggering activity/ setting and smoking. So the next time you are faced with that same triggering activity/ setting, the desire to smoke is weaker and/or eliminated. The process can be exhausting at the beginning because there are so many friggin' triggers in a day.But over time, after you have extinguished many of them, you will rarely feel the desire to smoke. In fact, you will rarely even think about it. 

For me, a big trigger was alcohol. It is, in fact, one of the few I have not totally extinguished. I rarely consume alcohol anymore, and when I do, it is very little.  Even 2 & 1/2 years later, I fear that the combination of trigger and lowered inhibitions might trip me up. I've also found that drinking is just not that pleasurable for me without a cigarette. 

On the other hand, there are folks like you and HotSi02 (an oldie here) who are able to use a beer at the end of the day as a small reinforcer for resisting the urge to smoke. If that's what works for you, more power to ya! Just be careful to not get too heavily into that as a reward. My rewards often consisted of food, and that can get a person into some trouble, too.  

• Quit Meter

$22,613.65

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 604 Hours: 13

Minutes: 34 Seconds: 53

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I am down for most of this week on a big project at work. I go in early and leave late while I am here. This leaves me time to take the boys to school, dentist appointments, and so on when I am at home. It also means getting back to my hotel room which has been the location of some of my most pleasant smoking experiences in solitude after a stressful day.
To offset this I have been going for a beer before coming back to the room and bringing a beer back to the room with me. By the end of the second beer I am tired enough to want to sleep. Another leg on this strategy is that by falling asleep early I can get up early enough to reflect on how the effort to quit went the day before and write for this blog.
It was only now that I realized I was actually through the first two weeks and into the third week. I had meant to celebrate getting through the first two weeks. Now I will still celebrate and it will be with my family instead of alone in a hotel so the day delay is a blessing in disguise.

Thanks for the support Tim, knowing other people are paying attention and care about my struggle makes a huge difference for me.
- Caoimh 
9 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Caoimh,
 I hope you're still smoke free. Your past the physical part of your quit and now it's all mental. It can be very hard at times because in the past you used to give in to the Nico-Demon and now you have to stand up to him and say NO, it's MY life and I'm taking control of it. Don't give in to the urge no matter what. It will get easier with time trust me. It's just you have to learn to adapt to the new you and your new life style. Take a few slow deep breaths and reward yourself for the great accomplishments you have made so far in your journey.
Stay strong my friend! 
  • Quit Meter

$23,292.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 750 Hours: 4

Minutes: 38 Seconds: 40

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Tonight has been a struggle. At different points of the day at work I found myself promising myself the reward of a smoke if I just kept going. I knew this was old behavior rearing tis head but I had nothing to put against it at the time.
I think this might be a good thing, actually, because there was no struggle in the moments, just the behavior arising, a slight flutter of hope from my desire, and then it went away. If I had put something against it I would have made more of it and maybe empowered it. The advice of yield to overcome seems to have served well in this instance.
However, tonight it became more than just a passing voice. It became a pressure inside driving the desire. I did not know what to do. I still do not have the confidence to confront it directly; I have lost too many times in the past by doing that. I kept among people so I would not be alone with it and I drank one beer too many so I could not drive to the store to get a smoke. Then I fell asleep.

Thank you for the supportive words but most of all for noticing. It really does matter that someone else cares enough to comment.

9 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Caoimh,

I don't come here often like I used to, but I have noticed that you have been fighting the good fight for almost 2 weeks now. Congratulations. 

There will be some head trips and mood swings in the first weeks, but they do mellow out with time. Although there are occasional spikes in cravings/ anxiety, they are fewer and less intense as time goes on. I found that keeping track of my craving levels was very helpful in terms of seeing my progress and feeling successful. You may want to check out the cravings diary under the "My Program" tab above. 

In the meantime, it's good that you are blogging and posting. Writing about both the negative feelings and how I overcame them was very helpful for me, too. I was a "heavy user" of this forum for a couple of years. I'm grateful for that, as it kept me from losing it and relapsing. 

So, good luck in your journey. You are done with the hardest 12 days of your quit. It will keep getting easier from here.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,613.65

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 604 Hours: 13

Minutes: 34 Seconds: 53

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

My main reason for wanting to quit is about will-power and personal liberty. If I do not have the inner strength to decide not to smoke then I am a slave to this and who knows what else. And I have not truly tasted what being free is and what that means to me.
Day 11. Maybe I was so exhausted by yesterday’s attempts to remain even-tempered, or at least not to get angry, that today I did not have a thought about smoking. We had a birthday party to go in the late afternoon for friends of our children, two of them in the same family having a joint party. And we wanted to finish cleaning and prepping the house and yard for Christmas. Then I got a message from my son in Europe that he had missed his flight to his next destination.
I spend the morning rearranging a flight for him and being mad with him for not getting to the airport on time. And we spent the day getting the place ready and went across to the party in the evening. It was a fairly subdued party by our group’s standards because it was Sunday night and we had to stop earlier than usual to get to our various Monday morning activities. However, one person that is new said how wonderful it was that we created memories like this for our children, which was a warm-hearted way to end the week.
Day 12 was a Monday. I spend the first hour at my home office desk faffing around, trying not to think about smoking. Then realized I had a whole new life to start – getting registered and then training to attend. I was so busy for the rest of the day that I did not have a chance to think about anything. At night I was preparing for a four day stint away, which I was not looking forward to, so the evening went by smoke-thought free as well.
I do have pangs every now and then, sometimes they are a feeling that I am missing something or something is missing, sometimes they are a desire for the experience. But in general life rolls on and usually over them.

Day 10 was by far the hardest and worst day so far. I was at my worst - volatile, irritable, and angry. I was so angry I forgot why and in my rages did not even think of smoking I was so mad with my wife, my sons, the dog, you name it. I was just on the boil and between trying not to express it, behave decently, and losing control I forgot to remember what was causing it and did not actually have any cravings for a smoke. Somehow I simply forgot about smoking in the anger struggles. - See more at: http://www.stopsmokingcenter.net/program/Blog.aspx#sthash.uZMCfvPx.dpuf

Reading this thread: