Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

11 Days and Fighting Every Hour For Smokbriety

9 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rete,

How do you like all the support and positivity now!

These members are amazing at assisting, supporting and giving kudos!

14 days is a great milestone!

Strive for day by day success, reward yourself and don't forget to post with us.

We are here to help you every step of the way!

Thanks to the members!

Great job!

Josie, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 639 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
One day at a time...you are growing stronger and FREE. This is the greatest gift you can give to yourself. Talk about "paying it forward". Live life on your terms. YOU are worth the effort. Keep the Quit. Dave
  • Quit Meter

$50,480.15

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1124 Hours: 12

Minutes: 53 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 87 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Keep at it , fight the urge every hour . Me I used to fight it every minute I thought believe me it will get better . Best of luck
9 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There you go, Rita!!!

You've made it through Heck Week!!!  Awesome!    Be sure to reward yourself big time for reaching another milestone!!! 

Keep your eyes on the prize, buddy!!!  Freedom from this addiction is priceless!!!  You CAN do this!!!

Have a great smoke-free weekend!!!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,265.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 9

Minutes: 10 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Still handing in and doing okay.  14 days under my belt.  Taking it one day at a time and am starting to reapply old positive habits instead of negatives to my thinking.

You guys are great ... thanks for being here. 
9 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rete,

There was an air of desperation in your post!  It is hard to stay positive all the time, but, for the sake of your quit...if you can't make it, fake it!  Hang in there by the skin of your teeth.

The thing is, you must acknowledge that you cannot have another cigarette...ever!  I imagine the little voices in your head saying that you gave in last time, so what would it hurt to do it again?!  Jim and everyone have given you good advice, so follow it!

All power to you for going cold turkey...I could not do that, and when I decided to have a forever quit, I used everything and anything to make it happen.  It was Hell at the start even with all the NRTs and things, but I was able to hang on.  You are past the nicotine withdrawal stage, and now it's in your head and habits.  Fight the Nicodemon with all you have.  The Freedom is so worth it.

Whatever it takes, just don't smoke! 

Love Lolly.    
9 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rete,

I hope you are still hanging in there.

So, some positives. Actually, I logged on here after 2 days of fairly long bike rides (for me) and I was feeling very good about my overall fitness at this point in life. I wish I could describe to you how much vigor and power I feel these days. I can go faster and further than I ever could when I smoked. And the exercise "highs" are so much better than they were when I smoked. I can feel my lungs expanding and growing stronger all the time. I also feel so much more invigorated after exercise, as oxygen--real, unadulterated by carbon monoxide from smoking, oxygen--has been running through my bloodstream, filling every cell with its life-giving power. It is just such a gift and a pleasure to truly breathe.

It can take a while before you start to really feel the power of your healing lungs. But it is so worth it to pass on the next smoke and let those lungs heal.

Life and being alive is so magical and precious. Why would you want to do something that destroys life? 

• Quit Meter

$22,541.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 12

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rita. Your on day 12 :) Maybe many people think I'm some pompous arse who appeared on this smoking forum out of the blue and started preaching how easy it is for one to quit. But listen your poon day 12 :) If quitting was impossible you would have failed by now, end of story.......... just enjoy your new found freedom and don't look back. if the going gets tough just remember your reasons for quitting.. you can do it or wait you have done it..... Join
9 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Rita!!!

Let's start turning this around!  Take a look at that list of reasons you wrote for wanting to quit.  You do have your list, right?  Every time you get those crazy negative thoughts into your head try to look at your list.  First on my list was Freedom!  I wanted it and I thought about it often.  It actually made my outlook positive knowing that I was actually kicking ol' nic's butt!  I was doing it... finally!  Every crave I fought and won was a moral victory!  Crave after crave I became happier about making it through another day!  I kept thinking about all of the positive things that were happening to me since my last puff!  My health improved, my yellowed fingers disappeared, my car didn't stink anymore and the list just kept growing!

So, don't even think that you "want to smoke"!!!  Write down the reasons you have that negative thought and then compare it to the list of reasons you don't want to smoke!  There's a lot more reasons that are positive!  Embrace those thoughts and crave your freedom!  I promise you that it WILL get better!

Also, keep your list of coping mechanisms handy, too!  Lists are good!  If something isn't working for you go to the next item on the list!  Above all... find distractions and don't forget to reward yourself!  You are going through a lot right now and you need to take care of you!  Those rewards are essential, trust me... I know!   

Positive self talk also helps!  You CAN do this, Rita!  Say it over and over and crave your quit!  

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,265.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 9

Minutes: 10 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

It was not this difficult with my first quit back in February and March.  This time around I am fighting myself each and every hour not to bum a cigarette (shame stops me on that one) and not to buy a pack at a store. 

I've reached the 12th day of my quit and that is good.  No drugs, cold turkey, me, just me, willpower and perseverence

I believe the difficulty this time around is that the first time I celebrated my want to stop and concentrated on the positive.  This time I'm thinking of the negative, such as "I want to smoke".

Any hints for turning it back into a positive attitude? 

Reading this thread: