Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

I Quit Smoking This Morning

9 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So finally your smoke free journey has begun..Congratulations and hope you have endless more days without smoking
9 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Blackhawk,

I was like you....I loved smoking, the taste and smell of a freshly lit cigarette!  Thank Goodness!  like yourself, I came to my senses, and realised I had to quit, but I waited 40 years to make that decision....not ideal!

Just remain strong and, above all, determined that you will win this battle.  Everyone has given advice, do follow it!  I will just say....

Whatever it takes, just don't smoke!!! 

Love Lolly.    
9 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Blackhawks16,

I don't have much to add, as much good advice has already been given here. So I'll just say I hope it's going well for you at this point. Hope you check in to let us know how it's going.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,541.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 12

Minutes: 3 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Blackhawks16,

Welcome and as you can see the members are usually the first to lend support, knowledge and experience!  Take it slow, use the program, the tips and tools and most of post with questions and concerns!

We are here to support and provide knowledge you will be great!

Josie, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Blackhawks16,
 As Jim already said, welcome to the SSC. There's lots of good reading, hints and tips here, and the people on here are great at helping motivate you on your quit journey. We are good listeners too. This is also a good place to blow off steam when you're having a bad day. We do understand what you're going through. Been there done that.  If you get the urge to light one up, stop in here first and leave a message. Hopefully by the time you're done the urge will have went away. 
I wish you the best on your journey to freedom.  
  • Quit Meter

$23,207.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 772 Hours: 4

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi "J"!!!

You're right!  Your lifestyle will definitely change and you will also find that you will have more time to devote to something other than smoking.  If you think of all of those 5 - 10 minute breaks you took throughout the day that spare time really adds up!  For me, it was a 5 minute smoke break X 25 times a day... like 2 extra hours a day!  The trouble many have had with that extra time is what to do with it.  I spent my extra time here, interacting with my new quit buddies for the first few months!  (I needed the distraction!)  I would also take a quick walk to a different building on campus and explore a bit while at work and while at home, many extra "honey-dos" were completed .  You'll be surprised at what you can accomplish with that extra time.  My advice is to always try to keep busy and have distractions to help keep the nico-demon at bay!

Also, be sure to think about a reward program!  I'm a big proponent of rewards!  If you think about it, when we quit, we're sometimes constantly fighting a battle and it is tough!  That's why we need to be kind to ourselves and reward ourselves for a job well done!  Some rewards every day keep the nico-demon away!!! 

Day 2 tomorrow!  Hang tough, buddy!  We're all rooting for you!!!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,265.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 8

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to me I recently lost a family member due to breast cancer and it hit home pretty hard.  However, I do not know if the cause was from smoking, but it was definitely something to think about. I am pretty sure the next couple of days are going to be extremely hard for me.  I smoke on break at work, in the car, at home, after every meal, after my coffee, and even if I have a couple of drinks. Oh and of course it is always a great friend when stressed out My whole lifestyle is going to change and I am okay with that.  I just have to get through it. Thank you for your words of kindness and encouragement...it means a lot!!!

J

10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Blackhawks!!!

Welcome to the SSC and congrats on your decision to quit and regain your freedom!!!  It looks like you have prepared well by going through the Program, which in my opinion is a great place to start!  Also, it's great to hear that you are going to hang out here and continue to learn how to beat this addiction.  I've been saying for years that there is a wealth of information here on the Forums from a bunch a great quitters!  If there's a certain topic you want to learn more about, try using the search button on the Forum main page or just ask!  There are so many helpful members that really want to help everyone who is wandering down their path towards freedom.

I'm also one of those who actually loved to smoke and that is why I continued smoking for over 37 years!  I knew taAfter seeing family members go through agonizing lung cancer  due to smoking, I knew I would probably be facing the same torture if I didn't quit!  That scared the bejeezers out of me and I finally did what it took to quit!  I could never have done it without finding this site and finding the NRT that was right for me.  One thing that did help was changing my attitude towards cigarettes and smoking.  Besides reducing the stimulant effect of the nicotine, Chantix also seemed to affect the flavor and smell of the smoke.  It began tasting and smelling worse to me and now the smell of cigarette smoke almost makes me gag!    Consequently, it didn't take me long to turn that nico-demon into my #1 enemy and I vowed to never let that sucker win even 1 battle in my war against it!

Last but not least, remember N.O.P.E.,  Not One Puff Ever!  That's how we quit!  Realize that and rejoice in the fact that you aren't ever going to smoke another nasty cancer stick again!  Feel that freedom and empowerment!  In a few days your breathing trouble will be a thing of the past and you will really start feeling a LOT better!

Hang in there Blackhawks!  You CAN do this!!!

Jim

• Quit Meter

$44,265.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 8

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yay Blackhawks16, way to go! Here's to staying strong and kicking smoking to the curb :)
10 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I decided to quit smoking this morning. I have been having trouble breathing lately and I figured this would be where to start. Good luck to me I am one of those people that love to smoke, not so much because of the the habit part.  I actually like the taste and smell.

J

Reading this thread: