Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Walking on Eggshells

17 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Phillip, Wow - I agree with Shevie... What was your 100 day reward? And the one before that - when was it and what was it? How did you decide on those rewards and how do you do the reward thing? Do you have a wish list? Do you plan rewards ahead of time...? It feels like part of what is going on is the reward thing, and as said above - the new Phillip is battling the old Phillip... What a war that is, and in that battle where is the junkie thinking and talking... hmmm - perhaps finding more and more clarity with the new Phillip is in order... What does the new Phillip's voice sound like versus old Phillip and the trickster junkie, nick? Stay in the moment, Phillip, try not to get ahead of right this minute, and don't go back... Just stay focused and in your own power in each moment... It's hard to feel overwhelmed when we are focused on and living in the moment. I keep seeing such ups and downs with your Quit, that maybe seeing a counselor and seeking more of a balance would be a good thing right now. We are here so that we can support each other, so post here when you need support. Don't take away our opportunity to support you and to stand with and for you, friend. Your Quit is #1, PERIOD... Wrap yourself tightly right now in your own tenderness, and hold on tight. THERE IS ALWAYS AN ANSWER, Phillip... Always. Blessings and Light- Healer [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 106 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,735 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $492.9 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
17 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
PS: Phillip - I am led to mention a natural supplement that I take from time to time (and many of my clients have taken and found great results with) - 5-HTP (I started taking it again about 3 weeks ago) Google it... again - it's all natural, and it promotes serotonin levels (enhances mood)... Ive seen and experienced some good results w/it... Healer [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 106 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,738 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $492.9 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 60 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Riverdaleman, I Just want to let you know you are not alone with these feelings you are having. I too am going through the same thing. Instead of being proud of my quit and happy for it I am also jealous of the people that are still smoking. I feel sad about not smoking anymore and I still miss it and also feel some sort of depression at times. I hope these feeling pass but I guess we have to look at the good. We dont want to wake up one day and be forced to quit because of some horrible disease. I dont know about you but they say if you do some good excersizes that will help and your mental state because it will raise the endorphins in your body that is the reason they say you feel better after having a cig. Now if only I would do the same and it could help my fat body another thing that depresses me thanks to the quit. But We have to find other things to fill the void. Good luck to you and my prayers are with you. Fran [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 111 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,897 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $555 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
17 years ago 0 962 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Phillip - I read with heartfelt caring this post today - But like the others I don't think that there is anything seriously wrong with you or any of us that are feeling this way other than we are daily, hourly kicking the addiction that lived with us for so long. While it didn't take us long for that addiction to grab us it is taking oh so long for that addiction to stop rearing it's ugly head. This 118 days for me has been a little piece of hell but still I perservere - trudging along, some days are great but most days are not. Still thinking one won't hurt, still watching my husband have his smokes - but all the while knowing that I won't smoke. So...I feel for you my brother in this journey. I wish I had some perfect words of wisdom for you...all I can say that I care for you, I care for your quit and want you to keep it safe. Take Care Island Girl most days are not. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 118 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,186 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $236 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
  • Quit Meter

$1,703,025.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5859 Hours: 23

Minutes: 43 Seconds: 7

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Phillip, [color=Red]FIGHT PHILLIP, FIGHT!!!![/color] You are in my thought and prayers. Be blessed, Sunshine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 163 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,786 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $570.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
  • Quit Meter

$229,908.38

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6396 Hours: 4

Minutes: 36 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Morning all Thank You for all of your responses. You are all kind and caring and giving, and I benefit greatly from the experience and knowledge in all of you replies. I am still examining this. I have made some calls and an appointment with my Doctor. There is a place where I need at this moment to do some pretty intense introspection and I will do this. I will read here and I will not post or reply to others threads until I can sort this out. I will as well post with what it is that I have learned when I have been more able to sort this out to a greater degree of clarity for myself. Thanks Blessings and Peace to you Phillip [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 123 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,468 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $922.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
First, foremost if you are a new quitter please do not take what I am about to say as frightening. My primary concern and commitment is to be free of nicotine and in my case to quit smoking cigarettes. I am one of very very few that has posted with this kind of problem at this stage. The quitting really does get better and things really do change, as so many on this site will tell you. So please do not be demoralized by reading this post. For you long term quitters please be patient and gentle with me as I profit so much from your experience. I am on the 122nd day of this quit. This is more time than I have ever quit and I am very proud of that fact. I have moments when I am happy and this is nothing like the first few days of the quit where I was getting through the physical part of this withdrawl, I was physically shakey and had to take time off of work to get through. Enough of the beginning. Right now I am having a very difficult time and this has gone on for far to long, if I am to judge by the responses and the postings here on this site. I have a great fear that there is something wrong with me. I day dream, crave and want, desire yes fantasize a smoke for a large, large portion of my waking moments. I can get myself worked up to walking into the store and on the edge on buying the smokes, (haven't done that yet). I work at doing all kinds of stuff to avert my mind and I fell like I am loosing this war. This makes me very, very sad. I come here and post and I still am unable to shift the destructive thoughts. I am not sure of what to do. I would dearly love to check myself into a rehab clinic and that is not possible. I feel like I am walking on eggshells, treading a very, very high and very bouncy tight rope. I am afraid now to post all of this here because it is not my intention to harm anyone's quit, in fact it is my intention to be supportive and caring of all of the quitters here. I however need support and I don't understand how to get the support I need without revealing what is going on with me and speaking of it in the way I would speak to anyone. I am stuck and nothing seems to be shifting or changing and this has gone on for weeks. What can I do different? First up, what I will do is go to my doctor and have a little chat. He,
Bump This was so far down because of the time I took to write. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 122 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,448 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $915 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
So once again thank you to everyone who responded. And in the light the absolute brilliance of not giving up on myself, something that I am learning to trust myself with. I have embarked on the following: I have made a Doctors Appointment (first week July) I have made an appointment for an assesment into a nicotine sessation group program and I get to speak to an addictions counsellor, two days from now and I imagine I will start a live group the week following. I have looked out a men's support group other than the ones I facilitate to find a place for my story and life to be held and supported. (not many groups want to take me on because I facilitate support groups) I have changed my diet to be: first, more healthy and second, more regular. I don't think I eat regular enough. I have adjusted and changed some of my rewards, the 1/2 hour and hour kind, no more sweets and lots of fresh fruit an orange, and apple, a banana, strawberries and my favorite cherries. I am drinking more fresh fruit juice and a bit less water. I think my sugar levels and maybe my salt levels were flucuating too much. Looking at and finding more weekly rewards for celebrating and honouring that I am doing this and I am succeeding with this. Making my quit journal even more spectacular, beautiful and more full of my own writtings. Looking into finding a way to publish it. So guys I am not staying stuck, I am not a stick in the mud and I am doing some serious searching to find how to get my brain and my body to really get what a miracle I am creating. You see no matter how much I was telling my brain on thing, my brain simply was not getting it. Kind of like the mom telling the five year old how good broccoli is??!!?? The loving intervention, thats what I a working towards. Smoke free and clearing the haze. I will reply more fully to each of your responses as I can, I have to go back to work now. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 123 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,473 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $922.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
17 years ago 0 68 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think there are probably more things going on than your quit, and the fear and discouragement are probably symptoms of depression, which can be battled through in non-drug ways, so make sure you look for the reasons that you're just generally sad and try to help yourself be happier. Go ahead an bawl, get it out of your system. It's a great thing that you're addressing the way you're feeling now. You may feel like you could to give in because you don't trust that you're strong enough to get through something this hard. If you could find more strength within yourself, I think you'd have an easier time. I'm NOT saying that you're weak because you're craving. I'm saying that you need to locate your inner strength and trust it. You can affirm yourself, and ask for affirmation from the people who love you. Remind yourself of everything you've already accomplished. Flex your mental and emotional muscles and realize yes, you can cope, and yes, you've coped with toughter things and yes, human beings, you included, are capable of coping with harder things than you've ever experienced, if you're lucky. YES, I think you should reward yourself more. Why not? You're not coddling yourself, you're staying quit. I don't think it would be a bad thing to take yourself back to the first stages of the quit, where there was something special about every day of not smoking, where you review "the list" of reasons to quit daily, where you feel proud and happy that you've done it and prepared for it to be difficult. So, somehow, you need to take a little break from the misery and recharge. Hmmm...how to do that? A change of scenery, perhaps? Can you take a long weekend, maybe, from work, and go somewhere you've never been or you've only been as a non-smoker? Go to a non-smoking hotel, with big windows and a nice view. Do some hiking or something, read lots and lots of quit-smoking books, go to the movies, journal, call old friends from the motel room, maybe someone who doesn't know you've quit? And the whole time, just concentrate concentrate on being glad you're not smoking and committing to seeing yourself through this initial quitting stage. Yeah, I think that could help. a mini-retreat just with you, where you can reflect on not smoking the whole time and appreciate being a n

Reading this thread: