Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

hello quitters--I need help

5 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hola Carlos,
 How are doing now, are you better or about the same? It's been a whole month now, I hope you are still a quitter. Are you feeling more confident with yourself about being a quitter now?
 Stay strong and watch out for all those triggers.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,219.90

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 772 Hours: 16

Minutes: 40 Seconds: 18

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 124 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Thanks for your support and still keeping my quit

5 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Carlos-Alberto,

Your English seems perfect to me. Congrats on over 21 days now! You are almost through the toughest month of your quit. The hard part is almost over! 

It is very common for people to have a depressed mood and feel more angry during a quit. Check out the Session on withdrawal symptoms for more information on why this is happening and what you can do to help yourself feel better. I think it is a very good idea that you are going to see your counsellor or doctor. 

Also, search for anger in our forums. I know there are lots of discussions where members discuss this very topic. There are lots of helpful strategies you could try.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing and please stay strong! You are off to a great start.

Ashley, Health Educator
5 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hola Carlos,
 Being depressed and angry are both normal responses you can experience when you give up smoking. There are more and you might experience them as time goes on, or you may get lucky and just have to deal with the two you are experiencing now. Time heals all wounds they say, and unfortunately there is no magic pill you can take that will make you happier and less angry, well there is but it's usually illegal.  You have to give yourself time to relearn how to deal with all kinds of emotions again without a cigarette. I used the patch too to help me quit and it did work for me. 
 Sleeplessness and a short fuse are also common side effects of the withdraw from nicotine. It's a VERY nasty drug like you said. Deep breathing seems to help on the anger part. Slowly inhale through the nose, hold for a short time, then slowly exhale through the mouth. Do this 5-10 times and your anger should have subsided by then. Don't do it fast though or you might pass out!  As for the depression, don't look at it like you've lost your best friend, the cigarettes, look at it as now you are back in control of your life instead of that drug. Look for the good in everything you do now, it's a whole new life for you. It just takes time for your body and brain to adjust to the changes. I wish you the best!
Stay strong.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,219.90

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 772 Hours: 16

Minutes: 40 Seconds: 18

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 124 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

My name is Carlos, I was born and live in Bolivia, South America, mid 50's, got my BS at the U of Fl  some 30 years ago so my English is a bit rusty, so please bear with me.

I am smoke free for 21 days and change and today I switched to 14 mg patches because they are not available in my country and just bought 2 boxes, 1 21 mg and 1 14 mg.

I am feeling depressed, angry all the time and with a very short fuse, cannot sleep at night and am taking a sleeping aid that can buy over the counter at any drugstore here (zopiclone), bit it's required a prescription in the US .
I understood early on, during my past quits  that nicotine withdrawal is hard, painful and messes up the brain, but I have never had the symptoms I'm experiencing today. I have made am appointment with my head shrink next week and the wait is hard on me.

Thanks for listening and letting me express  my feelings,  wishing all of you a NOPE day

Reading this thread: