Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Hi my name is Laurie

12 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Laurie!!!

Welcome to the club!!!  So sorry to hear about your mom, but I am happy to hear that you are going to give it a go!!!  I lost my father, brother and grandmother to lung cancer.  Many of us here have lost loved ones to the deadly effects of smoking!  It took a couple of tries after my dad passed before I found this site and began my journey to freedom!  Just keep telling yourself that you want this more than anything and it will happen!

Follow the Program, check with your doctor about using an NRT, pick a quit day and just yell when you need us!  Stick close and read and learn!!   The support and words of wisdom from everyone here is what helped me the most!  So, start psyching yourself up for the journey to freedom!!  It is sooo worth it!

Jim 

• Quit Meter

$44,280.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 20

Minutes: 36 Seconds: 54

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

12 years ago 0 74 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Laurie, I too have quit multiple times only to go buy that next pack. One puff leads to a pack a day, I know that. So I know where you are, so torn by wanting to quit and not doing it. Here's the deal, though. You have to want to quit more than you want to smoke. I know that's weird, but it's true. And the other thing is that we don't really want to smoke, right? We are always quitting, so we obviously don't want to smoke. I tell myself that I'm just accustomed to smoking in whatever situation I'm in, not that I want a smoke, and that seems to help the mind set. And here I am, 38 days quit! I think that you CAN do this, you just have to make up your mind you WILL. It's amazing how the mind works! Do keep posting, do read everything you can here, and whatever happens, don't take that one puff! Hugs, DeniseK
12 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Laurie.  I know how it feels to want to quit soooo badly, yet feel like you're unable to do it or that you're up against a hugely formidable enemy.  I've been there.  I've cried, I've thrown cigarettes down the toilet only to go back out and buy another pack.  Sometimes it seemed like there was no hope.  And I wanted desperately to quit, because my mother was a smoker all  her life and died of cancer.  Older than your mother was, but it was cancer just the same.  I was a  pack a day smoker, and perhaps more if I got stressed!!!!

I can tell you that there IS hope, because I have been quit for nearly 4 years now, and NEVER think about smoking anymore.  I don't come here as often anymore, but boy, I can tell you that this site is Godsend.

This is what I did...I went to my doctor first, desperate!  and he set up a plan for me.  Everyone is different in the method they choose, but my doctor put me on the patch as well as Zyban.  And the two worked for me.  Sure I had my moments but I began to live one craving at a time.  I couldn't look any further ahead than that, because it would have done my quit in.  Then I sipped ice water, walked, napped when possible(because I sure was tired in the beginning), and watch a LOT of detective shows, just to take my mind off it.  And then I wished for the day when I wouldn't think about smoking anymore...and wished....and one day, without even thinking about...that day came!!!!  I would never go back to smoking again. 
Yes, it certainly is a journey, but it must be done in baby steps, one crave, no more!!

Good luck to you on your non smoking journey!  And remember to post often.  It really helps.

Cheers,  Jan
12 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Laurie! How your first day of quit? 
  • Quit Meter

$2,712.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 565 Hours: 9

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 30

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Laurie,

Welcome to our support community!  The site can be very beneficial to your quit.  Our program offers tips and tools to help you prepare for your journey.  Take the time to read through and let us guide you. Work through the online program it has helped so many here.

Our online support group is amazing with support and knowledge and can be of great assistance to you.  These individuals have been where you are and can really help.

Sending you much strength to make this quit stick! Post often.

Samantha, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi MamaBear,

Your message really touched me. I'm so sorry about your Dad.
thank you for your support. I hope to hear from you again.
And good luck on your journey. :)

12 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello,
 Reading your post bout made me cry. I feel your pain, I really do. I lost my Daddy to lung cancer last month. It was sooo hard watching him go that way. Ok, now I am crying. I don't want to go into all that right now.
I do want to wish you luck today! Oh, and I am 38, it's a great age to quit!! 
12 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone,

Where to begin.... I'm 37 turning 38 in February. I have smoked since 18- on and off and became a full time smoker at 20 years old.
I quit smoking when I was pregnant with my son in 2002 and then went back to it at the first moment of stress just after he was born.
I hate cigarettes- they killed my Mom at the age of 58.  My Mom died from pancreatic cancer. It was hell. I lost my best friend. A beautiful passionate caring woman, loved by everyone who ever knew her. It was devestating and it all happened so fast. Angeocarcinoma cell- 3 months my Mom was gone.  She was everything to me, my son and my sisters.

I hate smoking and I have tried to quit so many many times. I have thrown cigarettes out the car window. I sit and curse and cry and smoke. I am an addict. I hate cigarettes and I at times hate myself because I know others quit and yet I always start back up. I want to be like others who stay quit!

What saddens and terrifies me is that my life is an intergenerational cycle of addiction.  My son begs me to quit just as I remember begging my Mom to quit. I wish I never started. Im sitting here crying as I type this message.  Im so afraid that I am going to die from these damned cigarettes too! I want to see my son grow up. :)  I at times become so afraid because I have smoked for half of my life and wonder if I'm going to get cancer soon and die anyway. But I tell myself how maybe if my Mom had quit at 38 maybe she would not have died 20 years later!  It's all so horrible.

When I wake up in the morning, I hate the first cigarette that I have. Hate it! and some times I even cry.
I cough.. I have asthma.  I had a health scare last year and as a result had a chest  x-ray and gastro scope- everything turned out ok. And I remember crying waiting for the results and promising myself that smoking was done! and I tried to quit and then started again. Can you believe that? Isnt that sick? 

My doctor just keeps telling me that "its all in my head" and that the solution is not in a drug.

It does not help that I live with a smoker who has no intention of quitting and additional to that is not supportive because he has no intention of quitting smoking.

I need help and I so badly need support.

Ok so this message was written while in crisis mode. Sorry that I have rambled but I am just not in a very good place right now.

Laurie

Reading this thread: