Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,509 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

It said to introduce myself

13 years ago 0 41 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,

I have been quit for 70 days, still miss smoking on the weekends when I am cleaning the house. I used it as a break. Miss it at family functions, when some of these folks are just plain driving me nuts.  What I don't miss is that awful smell.  I can smell that smoke on so many people and it stinks, so yes, when you go to the doctor appts and that suff it is embarassing.  I love not being embarassed around my grandkids.  I also love that my kids keep looking at me to fail.  If I don't fail, they have no excuse to fail on some of the things that they need to not fail on!
13 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow nice to know I'm not the only one!  I forgot about the crying too, though it has become quite comical that I cry at some of the stupidest stuff.  I feel much better knowing all of this will go away eventually.  I know all too well about the NOPE.  The first time I quit 20 years ago I was quit for a year, got over confident at a wedding and thought I could smoke "just one."  Well you guessed it that one turned into I'll quit again after this pack, this carton, etc....Now 20 years later I finally quit.  And the thing was,  that one puff I took tasted like crap!
13 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello campnfish; Your gum chewing sounds like it's filling the void for now; Good for you for sticking out those first 40 days! Yay! :) I found raw cinnamon sticks are working for me lately.   I quit in February and was pretty discouraged (like you) after about 6 weeks when all I was doing was crying, wanting to smoke and eating Rocky Road ice cream!  But I started coming out of the funk after the second month, and have been doing really well with my work outs and less craving/missing smoking since then.  So hang in there; you can do it!  
Your motivation to be in shape to walk the 3 day walk with your sweet & brave daughter is great! Go for it!  You will have so many rewards for your continued effort and committment to Quit! For each craving bombarding me, I have learned to simply say NOPE (Not One Puff Ever)!  This acronym and many kind words from fellow quitters on this forum have saved my quit butt everytime so far!  I wish you great success with you walk - and some good quality camp 'n fishin'  time with that lovely daughter of yours too! 
Well I chew a lot of gum.  This really works for me replacing my after meal cigarette and really those are not the ones that bother me the most.  I have also started training for the Susan G. Komen 3 Day walk in August, so I also have been walking.  The 3 day has been my biggest motivator for quitting smoking.  I have a 26 year old daughter who has been battling breast caner for the last year.  I did not smoke around her, and I went threw the shame and embarrassment of going to all of her surgeries, dr. appointments, and chemo treatments knowing I smelled like smoke.  I have watched my brave daughter  battle and survive this disease and decided I had enough and was going to train to walk the 60 miles over 3 days.   I was going to quit on March 24 for her birthday, but got overly enthusiastic and quit on March 10.  My darling daughter is walking by my side. Thank you so much for the encouragement and information, it does make sense now that something that was by my side for so long will take more than a month to get used to being gone. 
13 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Campnfish,

First of all congratulations on 39 days.  You are doing amazing!

What you are experiencing is completely normal. Beating the physical addiction is tough but many individuals have even more trouble with the behavioural addiction.   How can you say goodbye to a behaviour that you have had for over 40 years!?  Many smokers have used cigarettes to help them cope with stress, anger, hunger etc.; some have used cigarettes to celebrate, to have a break etc., etc.  For some losing cigarettes is like losing a best friend.  They can have an emptiness even loneliness without having their companion (cigarettes) with them. So remember you are not alone, every successful quitter has had to face this predicament.

How do you do it?  It depends on the individual.  Use the program to help you cope and adjust, use the support group for tips and support.  Also, focus on reframing your thinking.  Smoking is not a companion, it's the Nicodemon. Smoking is not a break and doesn't help you relax; it destroys your health. Also, find replacements.  Quitting can leave a void, fill it with different activities, rewards and coping strategies.  Quitting takes a lot of work and planning but you can do it.

To start what are some things you have already done to help distract yourself?

How else can you fill the void?

Ashley, Health Educator
So here I am.  I quit smoking 39 days ago and am still struggling with wanting to smoke.  I thought I would be over it by now.  I smoked almost 2 packs a day for 40 years, but know nicotine only stays in your system for about 72 hours.  I quit once before cold turkey about 20 years ago for 1 year and went back and haven't been able to quit longer than a couple of months.  I quit cold turkey again this time but it's much harder.  Will I EVER stop wanting to smoke?  It doesn't seem to be so much of a craving as it is a wanting, or feeling like I'm missing something.  Is this normal?  Does it go away?

Reading this thread: