Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

New guy

17 years ago 0 156 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bear I'm so proud of your quit!!! You sound so much happier even though your birds are annoying the landlady.. As for your previous question about addictive personality. I have heard once an addict always an addict, which is why we have to teach ourselves not to put ourselves in places or situations that can trigger us to go back to our old ways. Many people say "oh he or she will never change" That's total Bull. People do change if they really want to. Therapy helps to find out why we need to use drugs, drink, or even smoke etc... Most of the time it is to fill a void other times it starts with doing these things to make us feel better after something has happened in our lives and we used it to mask our feelings and after the situation past we realize it felt good and continue to turn to that choice of whatever to make us feel good. I'll use my smoking as an example. I started to catch that high with smoking after arguing with my parents as a kid to numb out. After a little while I no longer got that first (buzz) but kept smoking trying to get it and eventually became addicted. I reached for a smoke when I was happy, sad, angry, after eating, after sex. etc.....I know for me I have a very addictive personality and have quit sucessfully on many things and smoking is the last addiction for me. I've gone the therapy route and I found out alot about myself and why I become addicted to many things so it does help. There's nothing to lose about improving ones self so... See there's one more addiction I never know when to clamp up LOL Anyway glad to see your still here and I look forward to reading your post it brightens my day!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 906 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $275 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
17 years ago 0 56 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bear - way to go on 3 weeks - awesome stuff - seems like yesterday you were here worrying about getting through day 3. As far ast the addictive tendencies are concerned, I am a firm believer that these are genetic - you are either born this way or not. All of us on this msg board naturally have more addictive tendencies than those not on - i think its simple as that. I too used to drink quite a lot, gamble more than i needed to, and smoked. it seems like the 3 came in a package for me - now i dont smoke, drink very little, and have not gambled since i stopped smoking (although i do intend to get back to vegas - just a lot less often then i did before) To look for too deep an explanation to why we do all this at this point is probably not going to yield the answers we may want - but it is good to talk it through - the bottom line is for me is to take this one day at a time - 1 hour at a time if necessary, and just know, whatever happens, you cannot smoke. Bear, for me if I had one cigarette, I would be back on full time, and with that the 3 to 4 bourbons a night (or more) would follow - and before you know it - its just a series of bad judgement calls all round. reading back over my post, i think i wrote this to myself more than anything else - i see how now how posting helps - hope it helped someone else. Well done to all [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/2/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 98 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,978 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $357.7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
17 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just one question Bear, about the things you are buying now. Are these things REWARDS??? If so, great because rewards are important when you quit smoking. Happy to hear that you are having an easier time with your quit. How many days now? You forgot your meter. Sunshine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 458 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,801 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1603 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 67 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
  • Quit Meter

$229,984.31

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6398 Hours: 6

Minutes: 8 Seconds: 43

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1698 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Guys What a case eh.Can you imagine what people are thinking when they arrive at this page??? But Sunshine I have a perfect reason for for buying stuff now I quite smoking !!! Impulse control. Changing ??? Instant gratification yes !!! Man I think I,ll will this brain to medical science but they would probably send it back collect.. Well enough of me hows everbody doing with their quit I,m starting to feel pretty good about mine if I had any doubts in the past their long gone !!! :)Bear
17 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bear, I have a suggestion, when you are tempted to buy something STOP, think about it. Go home and write it down and put in on the ref. Every time you go by the ref look at it, evaluate it. Nine times out of ten I don't need what ever it is. Works for me!!! Hope it works for you. :) Sunshine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 458 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,798 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1603 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 67 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
  • Quit Meter

$229,984.31

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6398 Hours: 6

Minutes: 8 Seconds: 43

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1155 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JJoy - I really liked your post! Bear - Sounds like impulse control & immediate gratification are not your friends! So, be careful about and leary of anything that you haven't thought through and/or provides an instant rush (booze, smokes, gambling, etc). Now, put one paw infront of another and take yourself to a therapist - I think it would be a helpful and interesting experience for you! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 45 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,598 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $292.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
  • Quit Meter

$1,135,725.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5542 Hours: 8

Minutes: 36 Seconds: 53

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Thanks for the tip Josie. But I,m afraid the reason for starting to smoke has long been forgotten rember I,m 68 and started this habit when I,was 16. I have also had a problem with gambling on the horses this one cost me a job and several thousands of dollars but I loved the rush of picking a winner and cashing a ticket. I don,t go very often anymore but every time I go I know it could be a potential problem. Alcohol abuse and beleive it or not buying things that I realy don,t need have also gotten me in a lot of trouble. So as you can see theirs a lot going on here that I would like to resolve once and forall.... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 371 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $200 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
17 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Bear - I saw the quote from the poem Invictus - once I quoted to someone - My head is bloody but unbowed. This person looked at me and said -Duck! What a concept - I can duck the pain by letting go?? Not something I do easily. I have 4 weeks and 10 hours without a cigarette after smoking for 38 years and most of the time 3 packs a day. I, too, thought my health was good until I ended up in the ER with no breath sounds at all. Then four more days in critical care on telemetry to see if there had been damage to my heart from being cut off from oxygen for a while. I watched people struggle far more than me - on respirators, oxygen, coughing so badly every step, even dying. Each day was a nightmare - but one I badly needed. Now I know the damage I inflicted on myself and have truly quit, I pray - for me - alot more reasons, living with a non-smoking son, smelling "the smell" all the time, and justifying every puff I took. I do disagree about being strong in a way. I think about being smart - want a smoke, go for a walk, call someone even a hotline for smoking quitters, and mostly hold on to a group who are trying to do the same as you. Even unknown people on the Internet. When I am weak, someone else can be my strength until I am calm enough once again to go on. I can try to be a help to someone else not on the same journey. Ok, I'll hush now and not make this a book, smile. A hand to hold and somewhere to duck!! Joyce [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,427 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $126 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bear, The addiction has taken a hold of you for many years and it is a long tough journey to be released from its claws. Some find it easier than others and some create a complete change to rid themselves of this addiction. Why did you start? This may be the root of the issue and worth looking into. Talk to your doctor and see if they can shed some light for you :) Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.
By the way whose the wise guy that suggested I feed the birds ??? I,ve had as many as 10 pr,s of goldfinches at 2 feeder,s. They,ve eaten 10 lb,s of niger seed in 2 day,s and my landlady,s on my case about the amount of bird poop their depositing in HER backyard..Presure Presure LOL ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 368 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $200 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12

Reading this thread: