Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Here we go again

17 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi.I've been smoking full time since i was 20,i'm now 59.so Christmas day i decided to give the quitting scenario another try as i retire in 1 more year my pension just wont be able to handle the additional cost of a cigarette habit and i also want to live longer to enjoy that retirement.As i have tried to quit on numerous occasions in the past and failed i always learned something from the experience that i could use for the next time i quit.The last time i quit some 4 years ago i learned to never let my guard down when it came to smoking just one cigarette some months after quiting.Another bit of logic i've come up with is the fact that i only get really focused on quitting every 3-4yrs so if i smoke another cigarette its going to cost me close to $10,000 before i get focused enough in the future to give cessation another try,definitely a sobering financial motivation when looking at another cigarette.So far so good as i,m not having the mental battles i've had in the past,its almost like my subconscious is saying "its over" Jim [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 116 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $32 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
This is a great site that i would love to share with my friends,trouble is that none of my friends smoke any more,why am i the last one of the smoking dinosaurs in my social circles? I'm already feeling good about the fact that i dont have to go out on the balcony every couple of hours to smoke as its darn cold out there. I'm also noticing that my change jar is filling up fast as i dont really need to go to the store every day.
Thanks for the support.i'm feeling really committed to this non smoking life style,modeling my measure of success on my Mom and Dad who both packed in the habit when they turned 60 after smoking for close to 50yrs,today they are healthy 80 olds and are living a very active retirement in Florida like a couple of 20yr olds.
17 years ago 0 77 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Please hang in there. Life would be so great in retirement smoke-free! Just imagine all the extra's you could do not having to worry about trying to find a place to smoke and all the extra money in the one year till then if you saved all of it. What a great trip you could take. Good luck and my thoughts are with you....
17 years ago 0 449 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Jambo, I love your calculations and logic! Sounds like you know that it's time to say goodbye to smoking. Congrats to you! And those four days look great on you! Stay strong and that quit meter will spiral upward quicker than you ever dreamed! Debbie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 65 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,308 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $243.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
17 years ago 0 85 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
And ain't that what it's all about..to be living till you're 80 plus, and still enjoying life..we've all seen the folks with the oxygen tanks..I started when I was 15, and I turn 55 tomorrow. I consider myself lucky to not have been brought down by tobacco yet. I know many of my generation who have been. I am so lucky to still be here. I want to be here longer. I think I'm going to get a N.O.P.E. tattoo! Welcome, Jim, to our fantastic group. Visit often, read lots, post and vent, there will be lots of encouragement and advice from people who know what they are talking about. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 87 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,639 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $717.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jim - Welcome to SCC. I'd say listen to that voice that's telling you "it's over". This is your last quit. You are a non-smoker. You already have many skills from your previous quits and most likely you can remember why you chose to smoke in the past. Remember what these triggers were and be prepared when the emerge in the future. Take a look at the Quit Program Tools offered on this site. Read lots, post lots - There will always be lots of support and advice for you here. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 109 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,194 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $545 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jambo101, Welcome to the SSC and congratulations on quitting! Be sure to take advantage of our quit program and all of the helpful advice on our forums. If you have any questions, just ask. We are always here to help! We hope to hear from you again soon. Congrats on day 4! Danielle _______________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jambo, Yes, smoking is fast becoming one of the most socially unaccepted behaviors out there. Glad to hear your finding the support you need on our site and already reaping the benefits of your quit! Keep persevering! Danielle _________________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome, you have found and great souce of help and support. I am like your parents, I started at 12 and smoke for 50 years. It is nice to now they are doing so well. How about when you think of a smoke you through a five dollar bill into a jar. ;p You will be surprised at how fast that will grow. Welcome and Happy New Year [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 194 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $57 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55

Reading this thread: