Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Wish me luck

17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Al...I absolutely HATE to fail at things (which is a major character defect as far as I'm concerned...but hey - that's me) I have only ever tried to quit once before and that was 17 years ago. Last week, I quit for 4 days and then caved but I decided it was a success because at least I had tried. So for me...each day I don't smoke is a success. I have to be honest, there are so many times that I don't think that I am going to make it. I hope that doesn't happen but, if it does, I figure I am learning how to quit. We'll be there for you when you are ready and we'll be there for you until you are! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 116 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
Hey Al! How's it going? I'm watching you! I know you're gonna do it! Go Al Go! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 79 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $15 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
Hi Al I'm a new quitter too so I've been watching your posts. Boy this quitting business is a roller coaster rider. You sound so motivated, I know that you are going to do this! All the best to you and your wife! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 66 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $15 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
Hi Al This is day 2 for me. I did three days last week and blew it on the weekend. (I had no plan and was going nuts by Saturday night). I've been smoking for 26 years and the last time I tried to quit was 17 years ago. I'd read that people often have to quit 5 to 7 times before they succeed and I honestly didn't think I could go through that 5 - 7 times. Right now I am so sick and tired of planning my life around cigarettes. I hate the fact that I avoid social situations because I can't smoke. I hate going outside by myself in the winter. I hate the fact that my health is deteriorating despite the fact that I go to the gym. Last week was mostly hell but I had one amazing day. We went to ball game in Toronto and I didn't get home until 2 in the morning. It was the first time that I didn't worry about when I was going to get my next cigarette, how long till I could get home, etc. etc. I am using the patch which helps alot with the physical withdrawal. (I figure that I am going deal with one thing at a time and giving up the habit is enough for me right now) I'm afraid that I haven't planned my quits that well but I am just doing one day at a time. I hope that each day will turn into a week and each week will turn into a month etc etc. But...one day is far enough for me to think about right now. If I fail, I will be one step closer to quitting for good because THEN I will get all those supposed fails out of the way. I can hardly wait for the day when I can plan my life around ME and not around cigarettes! Don't give up! Wishing you all the best!
17 years ago 0 44 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Marie, 1438 cigs not smoked, WOW, your lungs must be throwin a party. ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIC. WELL DONE MARIE, AL
Hi Tresa, Good to hear from you, to be honest with you, that last attempt completely demoralised me, and im findin it difficult to even steer my thoughts towards another possible fail. Sometimes i think it would be easier just to carry on smoking, its a lot easier, i know that sounds defeatest but im only bein honest with you. My wife and I still havent agreed a quit and im not bothered too much. As for all you guys I salute you all. you are an inspiration to new quitters. Keep up the good work. GOOD WORK are the right words because it IS good but its HARD work. I know if i try again and fail i will never try again. So i dont wanna try... if you know what i mean. Still poppin in every day though to see whats happenin with you all, an amazing site. Love comin here. See ya later TRESA. AL
Hi Windy, Thanks for droppin by, today i smoked 4 cigs. Yesterday i smoked 4 day before that 5. im tryin to widen the gap between each cigarette. What ive noticed is when i do light up now, within 30 seconds im dizzy, my legs tighten up and i begin to stagger and they are painful. Yesterday i passed some neighbours after i had lit up 5 mins earlier and i began to stagger with the dizziness and i think they thought i was drunk. I had a smoke around 25 minutes ago and had a sharp pain in my chest. So on this little voyage of discovery i am noticing things i was never aware of before because i smoked around 50 to 60 day, and never noticed what i was doin to my body, lungs, respiratory system. etc,. But now that ive given my body a little breather so to speak, im more aware of the actual physical damage im doin. Tomorrow i hope to smoke 3 cigs, so ill light up every 5 hours or so. Its kinda like re-training my brain to disconnect from the so called pleasure of smoking. Well thats my theory anyhow... Good to hear from you Windy... speak soon, AL
Hi Gonna, Good to hear from you as usual, regarding the lighter under the couch, all I can say is OOPS !! ha ha. Keep up the good work, You are all doin so well. AL
Hi Danielle, Didnt even get thru the first day. But gonna try again soon, double effort with my wife,.... fingers crossed eh? speak soon AL
Thanks for lettin me know how you got on, Day one done, yahooooo. You say day 4 seems to give you problems, I always began to wobble around day 10 or 11 for some phycological reason. no Jan ,not usin nrt goin turkey. Congrats on day one under your belt. Joinin you tomorrow.. WE can DO this. Yeah!!! Speak to you soon. AL.

Reading this thread: