Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,509 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

Hypnotism

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
No worries there, buddy!!!

It's almost time to head home for a reward as I speak!  My daily reward for not smoking is an ice-cold beer!  Looking forward to receiving my daily reward has kept me smober for the long run!  I've been a good boy today and I have not smoked...  so.... reward time!   

Happy Thanksgiving!

Clink!!! 

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,250.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 0

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 4

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 86 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Atta Boy to you!  Keep rewarding yourself too...thanks for all your support!
Hey Shannon!!!

I'll give you an "atta girl"  for that!  Also, I'm happy that you were able to consult with your physician about your anxieties.  After reading all of your recent posts it appears that the wellbutrin seems to be helping you.  Now it's just a matter of taking it one day at a time and fight those battles with the nico-demon as they arise!  Another battle... another demon ash-kicking!  Soon you will be laughing in the demon's face!   

You also seem to have a real positive attitude about quitting now!  Maintaining that Positive Mental Attitude about quitting is sort of like self-hypnosis, so try to practice that when ever you think about it, too!  Things like reviewing your reasons for quitting and the benefits you will glean from quitting help to build your confidence and increase your desire to beat this addiction! 

You know what else is positive???  Rewards!!!   Keep them coming daily!  You deserve it!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,250.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Lolly and Jim -

Thanks for the reminders....Don't analyze too much, funny I've been told that before.  And, slow and steady does win the race.  I need to take my time with this one, I think you are absolutely right Jim

Working on it - Thanks so much for all the great advice.  I tend to get ahead of myself and you warned me of some things that may risk my quit.  I really appreciate.  As far as a plan, I was put on Wellbutrin about a week ago.  I plan to allow this to run it's course and then hopefully plan to be off the gum in 4-6wks.  But, I will take it slow and steady...

You guys are the best of the best!!!
11 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Shannon,

You are doing so well!  Do take on board the advice everyone gives...it's all meant really well.  Use it or ignore it, just focus hard on not smoking and don't analyse too much.

I'm so glad your hypnotism worked!  Now keep on keeping on!

Whatever it takes, just don't smoke!

Love Lolly.  
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi hopeful2,

You might want to talk to a health care professional about a reasonable plan for weaning off the gum.  

Right now, your primary focus should be dealing with life without cigarettes. Even with the nicotine to relieve the cravings, you are dealing with a major behavioral change. That desire to fire one up doesn't necessarily go away in two weeks. To be honest, I still have that behavioral desire from time to time. When you pair that with a real physical craving, things can get out of hand. 

Another factor is that, unless you are chomping gum all day long, you are most likely getting less nicotine than when you smoked. So you are already experiencing some physical withdrawal. You might want to assess your own reaction to that before deciding on a next step. If you are feeling ready for a decrease in 2 weeks, go for it. But if you start having some of those edgy internal cries for a cigarette that you feel you can't resist, have a piece of gum and regroup.

One of my pitfalls was trying to go too long between lozenges. Since the nicotine is absorbed more slowly than with a cigarette, I would get pretty cranky over not getting the "hit" that my body was craving.  Those were the moments in which I wanted to just light up a smoke and give the whole thing up altogether.  If I made sure to take a lozenge at the first sign of craving, that didn't happen. And I could always spit it out if I got what I needed and decided I didn't need any more. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,531.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 6

Minutes: 30 Seconds: 7

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hey Shannon!!!

Congrats on your 3 days!  Awesome!    Keep on doing what you are doing and don't worry too much about trying to wean off from the NRT too fast!  Take a page from Working on It... slow and steady wins the race!  Remember to reward yourself often and be especially kind to yourself when ever possible!  You deserve it!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,250.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi guys -

Yeah, I think that once I identified the smoking as an enemy within myself...I couldn't stand myself when I smoked.  So, I was feeling the normal anxiety when I didn't smoke.  But, then I would feel a different anxiety, when I did.  Anyhow, that is passed me.  I made the decision to quit and here I am 3 days later alive and kicking.

I got hypnotized and have not had a cigarette since.  I am not saying that I am not smoking solely because of the hypnotism, but do I think that it helped?  Yes, I do.

There were statements about negatives of smoking and viewing life through the eyes of a non-smoker that were imprinted on my subconcious mind.  When I left there, I felt a peace in the present that I hadn't felt since I recognized the nico-demon inside of me.

As for the gum, I am on the real strong stuff now (4mg), but plan to reduce to the (2mg) in a couple of days....

Shannon

11 years ago 0 153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Like Lolly said you can always reduce your nicotine intake slowly even by cutting a piece of gum in half.  I also am using the NRT and have the benefit of a smoking cessation counsellor at the local hospital who I can call any time and if I don't, she follows up with me every 2 weeks.  One thing she told me was not to push myself, I can wean myself off the gum as slowly as I need to.  We all want to get over the addiction part, but it's not worth the risk of relapsing with a cigarette.  Afterall, as long as you're not smoking you're not getting the thousands of other harmful chemicals that are in cigarettes.  Also, she told me that you are only actually absorbing a percentage (forgot the exact number) of the dosage of nicotine indicated on the gum, which is a lower percentage than what you absorb from a cigarette..
11 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Shannon,

Like Jim, every day I went into battle against the Nico-demon.  I can't tell you the number of looney things I did  to help me through each crave...I was so glad no one else witnessed them! LOL.

I'm glad you are using gum....Nicotine replacement therapy of any kind does help with the physical withdrawal and allows you a bit of time to get used to the absence of psychological and habitual cigarettes.  It's also easier to cut in halves an quarters to withdraw than cutting up cigarettes!

Have you used Hypnotism to help with relaxation?

Whatever it takes...just don't smoke!  You are doing so well!

Love Lolly.  

Reading this thread: