Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,671 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

NRT

15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Karren,

Major congratulations on your stats and on the Access work for the BA ... motivated and happy to create new neurons! Yay! make sure to walk/exercise a lot ... it helps make the neurons multiply more than just study...  ( saw it on the TV last night)...

Patrick

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 138
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,450
Amount Saved: $1,552.50
Life Gained:
Days: 25 Hrs: 16 Mins: 3 Seconds: 15

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone and thanks so much for the confirmation that those awful symptoms were most probably an overdose of Nicotine!
I am feeling so much better on the 14 mg patch, and can honestly say my only change has been, like Jan said, is a teeny bit of short temper syndrome. However, I am aware I am a little 'snappy' and have so far managed to keep it to myself! I still have no desire to smoke or any increased cravings which was my main concern when reducing strengths.
Hey Nissala look at you too! with your quit meter going up and up I am so proud of you! and Patrick to answer your question I am about to do a joint honours BA in History and American Studies after completing an Access to Higher Education course at the ripe old age of 50-foolish woman :)
Thanks again everyone!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 24
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 600
Amount Saved: $360.00
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 21 Mins: 17 Seconds: 11

16 years ago 0 289 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Nissala
    So sorry to hear about your son, losing a child is the worst pain there is in life. I lost my 2yr old daughter 24 yrs ago, time will make your pain become more bareable.
    I used the patch, the itching for me normally only lasted about 30 minutes when I would put a new one on.
    Ice water and chewing gum have been my best friends through this quit. Ive caught myself pulling into a stores parking lot to go buy a pack for just that 1 cigarrette I have saved my quit by telling myself if that 1cigarrette would be so great right now that in 2 or 3 days another "1 cigarrette" would be great and in a few more days my quit would be over that thinking has helped me to leave that parking lot with NO cigarrettes. Just keep telling yourself whatever works for you to get you through those rough times.
    We can do this with patience and support from this site.
Lisa

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 47
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,880
Amount Saved: $206.80
Life Gained:
Days: 5 Hrs: 4 Mins: 18 Seconds: 33

16 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Patrick. It has been very rough as my son and I were always close.
I have sought help, am in psychotherapy and see a psychiatrist once a month. 
Living without him is hard, but I know he would want me to be healthy  and as happy as possible
he always worried about my health.  Thank you again for your condolences. *hugs*

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/12/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 4
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 80
Amount Saved: $17.16
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 10 Mins: 23 Seconds: 13

16 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was so sorry for you to hear that your son took his life at such an age... but i can see that you are strong and able to deal with stress and this will be your Big Final Quit!!

"Hang tough" as Tresa says

Patrick

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 118
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,950
Amount Saved: $1,327.50
Life Gained:
Days: 22 Hrs: 0 Mins: 23 Seconds: 32

16 years ago 0 229 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have become a non smoker using the patch as well.  My experience with the patch re irritation
etc. has been zero.. however, if you are using the patch follow the program to a 'T'. I stepped
down from the 21 mg to the 14mg too early and it was horrible.  I just stepped down to the
7 mg on May 6th.. takes some time to get used to the drop but it's all doable

This is my 6th attempt at quitting and this is by far the furthest I've ever gotten ! YAY !
With the use of the patch, my crave basket, my positive mental attitude, hobbies (distractions)
and this wonderful site I am succeeding ! ! !

You guys are doing a great job.. keep the quit and when you need help you know we're
here for you !  One big extended family !

Peace

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 71
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,420
Amount Saved: $639.00
Life Gained:
Days: 8 Hrs: 3 Mins: 6 Seconds: 47

16 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nisalla and Danielle,

You two are doing just great!!!    With the great positive attitude you have had going into your quits, you CAN successfully make this your FINAL QUIT!!!   It will be the hardest thing you will ever do, but it will be the most rewarding!!!    Keep up the great quit!!!!

Jim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 71
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,775
Amount Saved: $292.88
Life Gained:
Days: 11 Hrs: 15 Mins: 38 Seconds: 17

• Quit Meter

$44,430.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1063 Hours: 9

Minutes: 29 Seconds: 39

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 901 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
nissala
you are doing great , the first 3 days were the toughest for me , after that it got a lot easier.

god bless you , you can and will do this.

mike/astrofan

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/12/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 64
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,920
Amount Saved: $576.00
Life Gained:
Days: 10 Hrs: 11 Mins: 43 Seconds: 23

16 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Danielle,

Thank you for the suggestions. I moved the patch to my hip area this morning and so far so good.  I made it through the rest of the evening and early morning cravings.  I took off work early yesterday due to feeling bad, and slept most of the afternoon  away.  Today I feel better and have an appt with my doc just to get checked out. 

Congratulations to you for not giving up and giving the patches another shot!   I may not have chosen the best time to try and quit as my youngest sons second angel date is coming up next month.  He took his life in June 2006 at the age of 19.  His birthday is in July, so there will be some tough times ahead to get through for us both. I'm sure we  can get through them smoke free with the help of this group, I am new here but reading through the threads at the support that is given to each and every member..gives me hope and confidence that this time, I'll make the quit stick and will be on the N.O.P.E. list :-) 

Take care and have a wonderful day, 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/12/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 3
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 60
Amount Saved: $12.87
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 7 Mins: 58 Seconds: 54

16 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nissala,

I am also using the patch, and this is my 2nd time going through this process.  The first time, I started with the patch on my arm, and it did make my arm ache.  I learned then that if I put the patch on my rib cage, stomache, or back, it doesn't bother me at all, not even skin irritation.  Try moving it to one of those locations tomorrow and see if that helps.

This time I've started with the 2 step on the patch program, b/c I was upto about 8 cigarettes a day (doesn't seem like a lot to some, but after quitting the first time, it was too much).  I'm debating whether or not to stay on the 2nd step for 2 weeks, then move down to the 3rd step.  Currently, in the afternoon, I heart will start beating hard and my chest ache, like a power surge of nicotine hitting my body.  But at the same time I don't want to jeopordize my quit and step down to early, I'm coming up to some very stressul times in the next couple of weeks, and I may need that nicotine surge!  Decision decisions...

Any how, keep us posted how you are doing.  Good job so far!
Danielle

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/4/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 10
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 100
Amount Saved: $17.50
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 18 Mins: 33 Seconds: 39

Reading this thread: