Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Struggling

14 years ago 0 382 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Steelroots, 
Brenda is so right in all she says......below, please find an article I printed out from the site when I was quitting........

Relapsing

Hi.  We all know about the first week and the next one, but after that, many people expect that it's all over.  Well it just isn't.  Nicotine metabolites can hang around for three weeks in your system, for instance, and those toxic additives in cigarettes have been affecting your body too.

The entire body goes through major changes. It's in serious recovery mode.  In every single cell, from your lungs, your brain, your skin, to every part of you, everything is affected when you stop feeding it nicotine and its accompanying toxins.  That requires a lot of cellular energy, a whole lot of adjustment.  It's no wonder people are tired or feel spacey at certain moments.  Those recovery changes do not end for a while.  They are quite intensive in the beginning.  

The brain undergoes physical and neurological changes too.  Things start to even out or dampen at around 17 weeks, though the changes and the recovery still keep happening in a less obvious and perceptible way, except perhaps for a few cluster days every month.  

Now while it's true that some people feel a whole lot better after the second month, many don't think they have it under control until the fourth month, though they have had increasingly good moments in between.  
This does not mean that there can't be tough moments in the months that follow, but by the end of the fourth, if your skills have been developed, you have enough time in, determination and confidence to get through those moments.

If people know that they can feel depressed around 10 weeks and have lots of junkie thinking in the third month (inability to feel pleasure while the neurotransmitters are "realigning" so the question comes up "Is it all worth it?" (Along with a bargaining stage where they toy with the notion of having "just one", they will be better prepared to handle the quit.) Thus it's wise to have a reward plan.
                                                                           _______________________
Many problems about relapsing occur around weeks 12-16.  People inevitably say "I thought I could have just one" to get through a stressful moment, or test the quit, or "I expected it to be all over by now."   

Steelroots.....you need to maintain just that.....strength and very steely roots right into your core to fight this stage of your quit.  Be assured it is only a stage and, like everything else, it will pass.  You will be so glad you hung in there,  used your coping skills from the beginning of your quit and refuse to have this discussion with the demon.  You will be so glad you did and the freedom you will feel in the end will be so worth it!

Love Lolly.  

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 11/25/2004
Smoke-Free Days: 2018
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 70,630
Amount Saved: �10,090.00
Life Gained:
Days: 267 Hrs: 19 Mins: 43 Seconds: 15

• Quit Meter

$11,168.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 698 Hours: 20

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That demon wants all of your attention. Don't give it to him. Fear tightens his hold. Try not to be scared. Seriously. Try not to be. Not being afraid loosens the obsession.  Just treat him like he's a minor annoyance, a fly buzzing around your ear. He's losing the battle and he knows it. I had a mild cravings almost everyday from about Christmas until about the end of February. I was aware of them, but let them roll off of me. I knew that I really didn't want to smoke and refused to go there and to even let it take over my thinking. There is a chance that on and off  for the rest of your nonsmoking life that the demon will try to rekindle the friendship. Make it clear that that ship has sailed and go on with living your life.
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 399
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 11,172
Amount Saved: $4,748.10
Life Gained:
Days: 44 Hrs: 23 Mins: 9 Seconds: 17

14 years ago 0 109 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Struggling my 7th and 8th week - I did better hell week and getting very discouraged!  Thought I was doing well until 2 weeks ago and it's been down hill.  I need to get "myself together" but don't know what else to do to fight the nico-demon.  Part of me wants to smoke but part of me keeps saying but you quit.  I know if I smoke I'm going to feel really bad and regrets but still feel like giving in.  Why do I feel like part of me has died - I don't feel like myself or what I thought "myself" is or was when I was smoking?  Lots of "mind chatter" - going crazy with a zillion thoughts and trying to stop or fight the thoughts.
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 4/10/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 55
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 825
Amount Saved: $206.25
Life Gained:
Days: 7 Hrs: 21 Mins: 20 Seconds: 3

Reading this thread: