Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

relapse

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hang in there Sparky!

Welcome to the SSC!  The nico-demon had his strangle hold on all of us here and I'm here to tell you that you CAN break it's grasp on your throat!    Really!!!

If you haven't already done so, you might want to go through the Program.  It has some great information to help you on the path towards freedom.  Stick close, read and learn from all the quitters here now and those that have been here before you.  Knowledge is power and it helps to have as much as you can get to break this addiction!

Yell if you need us!

Jim 
  • Quit Meter

$44,227.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 13

Minutes: 20 Seconds: 21

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 76 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good luck to you, Sparky! I am on day 4 and it is tough but talking to others here really helps! It keeps me going to see how many people have quit for good and makes me more determined to do it for myself---hopefully we can all get through this together!
11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Sparky!

Smoking may have a strangle hold on your life now but you are stronger than this addiction. You will fight back and win!  Use the program and this support group to arm yourself. It sounds like you really want this. This is so important. You can get there and we will help you every step of the way.

I encourage you to post an introductory thread about yourself and share a bit more about you. 

Looking forward to reading more from you,

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i have tried to quit so many times and failed as many.Use every trick there is even zyban and chantix,these drugs have scary side effect which i want nothing to do with.I would like to quit and get nicotine out my system as quikly as possible.started smoking at a early age finding it impossible to live without smoking.Seems like smoking has a strangle hold on my life.
11 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Relapsing can be a terrifying experience...all that work of quitting goes down the drain!

Everyone here makes really valid points about starting over, cravings and requitting.  Jeniwho, Twiggie - do not let your relapse get you down.  It is what it is....a slip...HOWEVER, don't think you can start over and slip again and repeat that cycle without some hard work.

Prepare yourself well for your start over.  Read about relapsing.  Make yourself really aware that NOTHING improves by having a cigarette.  Be prepared to fight through the difficulties in your life without relapsing.  Most of us have tried and failed a few times. 

Only when you are ready to fight the battle with the Nicodemon and to WIN, will you quit.  Nicodemon/the addiction is always lurking in the background of your quit, and it does take quite a long time for you to be able to get through emotional events in your life yet still be able to turn your back on smoking.

We old timers keep saying that the odd crave arrives and we can laugh it off...indeed we can, but we still went through times when it was very hard indeed.  Don't set yourself a goal - for example - 'Once I've been quit for 2 or 3 months/years I'll be a non-smoker.
Just take one day at a time and be proud of yourself for that day.  Always remember the possibility of relapse and fight it with all your life.

It is your life you are fighting for!   Whatever it takes, just don't smoke!

Love Lolly.  

11 years ago 0 649 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can say when I started this journey that it was hard to believe the long timers when they said the day will come when the urges are more like a passing thought than a strong craving.  But now I can say it too.  You'll get the occasional craving but it passes so quickly you forget you had it.   Keep on truckin' forward...Good wishes.

With Gratitude,

Moss 
11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Twiggie!!!

This is your "Smokers Anonymous"!!!  All you have to do is post!!  Check back often, continue to read previous posts, do a search on topics that are on your mind.  There is wealth of information here and you are bound to find something within these archives that will be helpful to you on this journey!  Also, I've notice that quite a few new quitters have posted in the last few days...  I am in hopes that the trend continues and that y'all jump on board here on the forums and really help your new quit buddies out!

One thing about nicotine, I've been told that it is one of the MOST addictive drugs out there!  This journey is one of the hardest things that you will ever do in your life, but if you want your quit more than anything else in the world, you will achieve your goal!

Nehe and Tired Mommy...  Hang in there and keep on kicking that demon's ash!!!  Keep your eyes on the prize... Freedom!!!  It is sooooo worth it!!!

Jim 
  • Quit Meter

$44,227.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 13

Minutes: 20 Seconds: 22

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 76 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nehe--I feel your pain! I am on day 2 and going a little crazy. It helps to read about others going through the same thing. But there is a part of me that keeps hoping there will be a breaking news report on TV that says smoking isn't bad for you afterall and I can start back at it....but I don't think that will happen so here I am, hopeful but a bit cranky.
11 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Having a hard time with withdrawal, if i can get 3 or 4 days behind me that will encourage me some...It helps to read about others who are struggling and trying to quit smoking because i am in that group..We can do it with each others support...thank you
11 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My resolve is plenty strengthened. There are no reasons; and like an good addict I can find a million excuses. Not going to worry about a slip, just going to keep trudging forward on the recovery. I can and will do this once and for all. N.O.P.E.

Reading this thread: