Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,671 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

NO OFFENSE NOTHING PERSONAL

17 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
PeterPan, If that's the case, then allow me to rephrase my post. Whenever you get sad, then you need to find other ways to deal with your sadness, other than smoking. Sadness and depression can be HUGE problems for many people when quitting smoking and it's nothing to scoff at. If you think you might have a problem with depression, then the best thing you can do is talk to your doctor. You don't have to deal with depression by yourself. And it's not wrong or bad for you to feel this way... you're not crazy, in fact I would guess that more people have problems with depression while quitting smoking than those who don't, because the dopamine centers in the brain get deprived when you quit (for more on this, read Shevie's Rewards, Nicotine and the Brain in the General Forum... it was bumped today). So if this is something that you are dealing with, then I would suggest talking to your doctor about it. No matter what though, smoking won't solve any of your problems. Please, please, please, please, PLEASE! Come here and post first! Nobody will judge you for smoking because we've all been there and know how hard it is to quit. I know sometimes, it's hard to come here and admit that you've messed up. Believe me, I KNOW!!! But truly, it IS for the best because everybody here will do whatever they can to help you back up because we all want to see you succeed. So please, make a promise that BEFORE you smoke again, you will come here and post so that we can help you! That's what we're here for! Congrats on getting back up and welcome back! Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 640 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 16,020 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2643.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 45 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
17 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Butterfly swimmer Thanks for the advice. It's wierd but I wasn't actually mad, I was so so sad and thought that if I post about slipping and it stopped somebody elses quit I would feel worse. I hardly ever lose my rag and normally cope ok with things, just fell to pieces yesterday. I know it's my fault for letting it get to me and I guess anything would have triggered me , so I blame myself, but I know I can do this again. I lst a family member recently thanks to the big C and she was only 6 years older than me. I am still trying to come to terms with that too and its a moronic thing but every time I think' What if I get it,' I get so scared I want to smoke. It's crazy isn't it? But thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your support. I just wish now that I had posted yesterday. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 475 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �130.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
17 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
PeterPan, It's ironic that the main point of this thread (even if I don't agree with it) was that seeing people slip could possibly discourage others to not continue in their quits. And then you come here and say that you smoked because this post discouraged you enough to make you smoke. From one "slipper" to another, let me say this from the bottom of my heart, and I really do mean this to help you. If reading this post made you so mad that you went out and bought a pack and smoked it, then you need to figure out another way of dealing with your anger. Believe me, if I went out and smoked a pack everytime I read a post on this board that I didn't like, I'd be smoking more than I did before I quit!!!! :) There are LOTS of posts on this board that drive me to WANT to smoke sometimes (not so much anymore, but it's happened in the past), but if I did, [b]I[/b] would be responsible for doing that. [b]The person who upset you is not going to die if you smoke because he/she upset you... but you might![/b] It's not going to hurt ANYONE else if you smoke... but you and the people that you love. Remember that. There will be LOTS of times when you will get upset, whether you smoke or not. And if you're going to continue with this quit, then you need to find other ways of dealing with that anger, otherwise, you're NOT going to be able to stay quit at all. If you get to a point where you want to smoke, then post. We're here to help you. But we can't help you unless you post! I completely agree with you that this post was not helpful to anyone and that it goes against the entire purpose of this site, which is to help ALL people quit smoking, but you still can't blame your actions on this post or anyone or anything else. I do hope that you will get back up and keep going with your quit, and if you want to do that, then we're definitely here to help you do that. Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 640 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 16,018 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2643.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 45 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
17 years ago 0 2257 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Awesome , welcome back! Dig deep and know you want this quit more than anything. Sometimes strength is hard to find - sendign some prayers up for you.... Login to the IM and search for who is "On" and add them to your buddy list. You will get the hang of it. I am not sure that it works with all operating systems tho. CobenFan
Thanks Penguin, I just wish somebody could tell me how to use IM. I've never used it and don't know how. Peterpan ( but I'm actually a Tinkerbell) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 475 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �130.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
Cobenfan, You're right I only read the first few posts then left . I was so disheartened and yes, I agree, it's me that's important, but sometimes things happen that we have no control over, things that shatter our lives and make us weak.Sometimes after you have been thru it and weathered the storm and think you're ok, it sneaks back up on you and before you know it, you reach for the one thing that was always the same in the past-whether it be good or bad. That was me, yesterday. I was desperately trying to get through a day of awful memories and reminders, and the last straw was the original post on this thread. So yes, I was a fool and totally rash and yes I am kicking myself today, but I WILL do this. I am going to reset my meter tonight and start again. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 475 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �130.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
17 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
PeterPan I am sorry you are feeling so bad right now, but that is part of this addiction. I have been there - banging my head against the wall wishing I wasn't smoking and finding someway to justify why I did it.(Other than the obvious - I'm an addict). There is a lot of posts on this site that have made me angry...almost boiling....maybe even quit busters. This thread is one of those that gets my blood boiling. The majority of the posts on this thread are supportive of this site and the people who use it - slippers included. I am not quite sure how you concluded that you would not be supported if you posted you had slipped? Sure, you may have had someone give you a swift kick in the rear, hoping to motivate you to get back to your quit. I myself am a recurring slipper, and I have never been made to feel I couldn't come here and tell it. This is a support site...PERIOD. Instead of logging out yesterday, you should have asked for help, logged in to IM to get a buddy, or asked for help from the moderators. At 29 days, you had a great quit going and you can still keep going. Everyone here wants to see you beat this...we are all in this together. Next time let us help with the Junkie thinking and the 30 day pit. Sorry if I offend, but one of the saying on this site...."take what you want and leave the rest." [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/10/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 68 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,373 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $782 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
  • Quit Meter

$330,539.63

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6029 Hours: 7

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 5

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2257 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
PeterPan ~ [quote] After reading all the responses on this thread I logged out and went and bought a pack of cigs [/quote] Evidently you did not read what I wrote. There are too many people here extending their hand out to you for you react as you said above YOU make your quit happen, WE support you no matter what happens. You take responsibility for your quit. C'mon and get back on the quit wagon, we have all felt bad at one time or another, just tough it out and don't take everyone's opinions and internalize them. YOU are what matters right now, do what is best for you and read only what is going to make you forge ahead and succeed! Best, CobenFan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 359 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,193 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1256.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 34 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
17 years ago 0 1155 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Peterpan - I'm sorry that you're having a hard time and I'm sorry that this thread made you feel unwelcome/unsupported. You had almost a month of healthy smoke-free living; and I genuinely hope you decide to add more such days to your life. Maybe you did use this thread as an excuse - but that's the nature of addiction - the Nicodemon will use anything/everything to get you back - it will find one "excuse" or another. The point is, each day we are given the chance to try again. I sincerely hope that you'll decide to do just that. You deserve it. And, there IS support here for you --- we're all in this together! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 23 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 827 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $149.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
  • Quit Meter

$1,135,875.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5543 Hours: 1

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 24

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I came onto the site yesterday because I had a slip and was feeling really bad. I read this post and felt even worse, like I was going to be responsible for other people starting again. I wanted some advice because I was feeling really wobbly. After reading all the responses on this thread I logged out and went and bought a pack of cigs. I had gone to the 'coping with cravings' thread hoping to get some help, not expecting to be made to feel unwelcome. I am not proud of smoking again, but you know what, we are all different and have different triggers. I was really sad after logging out yesterday, like I had lost a bunch of friends. I sat and thought about this today and decided to say my bit. I usually post very little, but read for inspiration. I don't even know how IM works, but hey, I felt like I was amongst friends. Not everyone is successful when they quit- at least I had been trying. I know you will probably say I used this as an excuse to start again and maybe you're right, but it was like the final straw. Sorry if I have offended anybody, but I really wanted to let off some steam. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 474 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �130.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11

Reading this thread: