Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

This Coming Weekend Trip

17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's amazing how our thoughts work and how ingrained smoking has become in our lives. I love spending time with my family but as I have become more and more addicted to smoking, I have started to dread extended family visits because nobody else smokes and there is always pressure to quit. I am looking forward to being able to spend time with them as a non-smoker. On the other hand, I am sitting here at work long past quitting time because I am dreading going home. The cravings are SOOOO strong today and I find it so hard to get through the evenings. However, I know abit of what you are feeling because I find that I dread doing anything that I associated with smoking and look forward to doing things where it isn't easy to smoke. I won't even DARE try to open up a bottle of wine for a long time!! I hope that you have a good weekend with your family and with your sisters. I imagine the first one will be the hardest. Would you please let me know how things went? Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 54 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
17 years ago 0 583 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stormy, 8 weeks is awsome and something to be proud of. I went to my family house after 2weeks. I can relate to your anxity about it. First I post some mantras about me not losing my quit. I affirmed what I was doing. I packed a nosmoking goody bag. Filled with some of my favorite things. Including music, treats, sodas, a journal and books. I froze some bottles of water noght before. So I had ice cold water on the trip. I beleave you might find yourself to be the envy of your sisters. My hubby still smokes, we used to have "OURTIME" out side smoking. Now I have to find other time for us. You can do that with your sis. What else did you guys enjoy doing together? When she goes outside you can help cleanup,sit in comfy chair and relax for 5min. Or you can get into your goody bag and treat yourself. I really found my promise I made on this site helped so much. You can do it. You have done great so far. Grace [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 711 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $140 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
17 years ago 0 744 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Windy, Yes, I will let you know how it goes. I know what you're feeling. The pressures and the guilty feelings, all very familiar that just leaves you feeling defeated. But I knew that I didn't want to have this battle going on with me forever and just decided to stop putting it off. Time to stop making those lame excuses so I decided It's MY life and I intend to take it back. I was so sick and tired of this addiction being a constant issue and I had to be the one to put a stop to it. I am doing this one day at a time, just like you. You know what.....There really IS life after cigarettes! Just stick to your guns and with the right attitude, we will see this as nothing more than a distant memory. HANG TOUGH, We can do this. :)
Thanks everyone for the vote of confidence. I will certainly let you know how everything went after I get back. Picture this: Lil Stormy inching her way forward with tiny little steps, as she keeps looking timidly back to her SSC friends while they urge her along with shouts of praises, "GO ON STORMY! YOU CAN DO IT! THAT'S THE WAY! ONE FOOT IN FRONT OF THE OTHER! AND DON'T WORRY, WE'LL BE HERE FOR YOU"! Sorry, I let my thoughts take over there. :blush: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 58 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 469 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $217.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
Hi, My husband and I are planning a weekend trip to visit my family. I only get to see them 3-4 times a year and it's always good to see them, however, this trip will be different and I have some concerns. Both my sisters smoke and we were always used to going outside my Mom's house(no smoking allowed inside) for "smoke breaks" together whenever I visited, and to catch up on each others lives. I guess you could say that was our "sister time". Since my quit, I have pretty much stayed home and haven't been exposed to smokers, except for occasionally walking past someone standing outside a public place getting their "fix". Back home is like "land of the smokers", so I feel somewhat weary, instead of the usual excitedness, as I still feel so vulnerable with my quit at this point. It's been tough for me to maintain my quit, and it's even been a bit shaky at times recently, so this has me worried. Also, normally during our drive, we would stop at certain places for a "break" and I always looked forward to them. Now, it's going to feel different, not the normal routine that I got accustomed to and anticipated. Now THERE is going to be some empty feelings. I just can't get into this trip and feel the excitement as I normally do. I guess my concerns outweigh my excitement this time. I actually dread it. My husband says I will be the shining example to my family, but I feel more like I'm trying to be someone I'm not, someone who is just putting up a "front". Does that make sense? I have been doing what I can to avoid any additional anxieties. The doctor says I have GAD and I don't handle medications to treat it very well, so I basically just cope as best I can. I'm not making excuses, but at this point, I REALLY don't need any additional anxieties at this time, as I feel like I am barely hanging on to my quit. I know it's been 8 weeks now, but it isn't necessarily easier for me just yet. I guess everybody handles their own quit in their own way and time frame varies in the amount it can take to get over it. I guess it really is all about attitude, but at this point, my attitude isn't rising forth in a positive way, it's more like cowering in the corner, requesting not to be seen or heard. It's kind of like keeping an old wound covered with a bandage for fear of exposi
Gonnadoit....Thank you :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 59 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 475 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $221.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stormy 8 WEEKS congratulations, You recieved excellent advise here, I know, it's not easy at first seeing people smoke. Just start looking at them I mean really look at them, smoke coming out of their nose, eyes squinting, and oh my god the retched smell when they come back in the house, that was us before...Now you don't need this and don't want this, you want to be healthy, and smell good, don't forget to reward yourself and we're waiting for you to come back and tell us all about it. One day at a time :)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 90 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,363 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $360 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
GO ON STORMY! YOU CAN DO IT! THAT'S THE WAY! ONE FOOT IN FRONT OF THE OTHER! AND DON'T WORRY, WE'LL BE HERE FOR YOU! :)
17 years ago 0 1151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
P.S. [quote] I feel more like I'm trying to be someone I'm not, someone who is just putting up a "front". [/quote] It is someone you are [i]becoming[/i] and these sort of trials are what help you along in the process. Can't wait to hear about the marvelous time you had... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/5/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 767 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 15,353 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3451.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
  • Quit Meter

$37,063.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 641 Hours: 2

Minutes: 3 Seconds: 54

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stormy, It is a bit awkward at first - getting used to your new self in the old places but it is SO worth it. I believe you know that. It really is just a fear of the unknown but something tells me that if you have been strong enough to NOT smoke over 450 cigarettes you can get through this. Strategize. As far as the car ride - sunflower seeds, beef jerky, sour candy and water. Oranges if you need something to do with your hands that will make them smell :) You can still stop for breaks but do something positive like taking pictures or is it possible to try a slightly different route? Maybe get some new stops? When you are around your sisters it may be tough but there are ways around smoking there too. Again, eat an orange. Reward yourself with a new watch, bracelet or ring that you can play with and also remind yourself of your MAJOR accomplishment. They don't have to be expensive. I bought new perfume and would smell my wrist (because I could actually smell it) as a reminder of what I had gained. Maybe you can get them to come into the house to be with you now. Stay close to your mom and hubby and show your sisters what they are missing inside! Review the reasons you had for quitting. The only way you can keep those goals is by not having another cigarette. It wouldn't give you what you would want anyway. Even if you feel a bit uncomfortable while you are going through it for the first time - you will be SO empowered once it is over. And it will get easier. Just like the first couple of days of your quit. It feels weird but you know you are doing the right thing. Great job on nearly TWO MONTHS of being smokefree! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/5/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 767 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 15,353 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3451.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
  • Quit Meter

$37,063.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 641 Hours: 2

Minutes: 3 Seconds: 54

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: