Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Made it 2 Weeks

13 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Keep it up Fozzy! It does completely suck when you get the heebie-jeebies. Brenda commented that at about 30 days it got better for her. "They" say it takes about 23 repetitions to make a new habit. On June 1 I quite smoking during the day, and what do you know, about 3 weeks later I didn't miss it at all (of course I still got to smoke at night). My freedometer has vaporized but I'm at 8+ days and the bad times are still there but fewer. Don't give up. If you have to, tell your friends what you're up to and that you can't be around them just now. My smoking buddies are being incredibly supportive - and jealous!
13 years ago 0 206 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You go, Fozzy!!  (I keep thinking of you as "Fonzi" and wondering how your leather jacket has help up over the years!)  How's the self-love thing going??  You being nicer to yourself now that you're so far along??

peteg
13 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you all for your words of encouragement and great advice.

I don't know where I'd be without you all. 
13 years ago 0 639 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations, Fozzy on your two-week anniversary!  You are off to a great start.  I, too, slept alot in the first 30-45 days.  Some was due to adjusting to new changes....mostly just to check out from temptations!!!!!

Dig around in the archives...there are some great posts relating to when the urges will end....and the number of associations to smoking we encounter in a year.

Build up your defenses and continue on your journey to freedom!!!!  You are worth it!

Keep the Quit,

Dave
  • Quit Meter

$50,498.24

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1124 Hours: 22

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 28

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 206 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Go, Fozzy!!  Tons to be proud of!!
If I could maybe offer one tiny suggestion, not as someone a week behind you, but as someone who was probably quitting since before you were born....

You might want to consider replacing "yelling at yourself" with being kinder and gentler with yourself.  Yell one time too many, one time too loudly (even to yourself) and your quit, fragile that it is, may just give up.

Maybe instead try being super nice to yourself?  Try that "self-talk" but maybe without the dose of "tough love?"

The other thing is check your emergency plan.  It will never become obsolete, and you may need to adjust it every day to plan for unforeseen triggers, temptations, and set-backs.

Meanwhile, I hope you made yourself one heck of a Princess Crown to celebrate 14 datys!!

peteg

13 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Fozzy,

I thought about the winter running thing.  But if we can quit smoking, than why not run in the snow 

I also get the urge to yell at myself.....sometimes I do it externally.  I have never accomplished so much than I have in the last 3 days.  I have tried to keep myself super busy, cleaning, cooking, running, walking, etc, etc.  Its exhausting at times.  I have recently started to look at other people's freedometer, which is exceptionally motivating.  I look forward to the day when it gets better.  I am not sure when it will happen but knowing that it does keeps me going.

Be strong.  One day at a time.
~Alice
13 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Go fozzy, go! Glad you are doing it. Yes, it does get better. We can make that promise to you, but  we can't tell you when. When is different for everyone. For me, it was just about at 30 days. Part of it is that you'll just gain a sense of comfort that comes from being more confident (because you've got some well developed tools) and proud. However, never let your guard down. The demon is sneaky.
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Fozzy,

I'm very sorry that you had such a challenging and lonely weekend! But, yes, it does sound like you are doing the 'right thing'- only you would know what that is for you; and yes, it will get better!! The first month is a very tough one, so congratulate yourself for getting to the halfway mark! This might be a good time to go back to the program and review some of the info in the Milestones, esp. 3 and 4.  Are your friends supportive of your quit even though they are smokers? Can you come up with some ideas for socializing where there wouldn't be the opportunity for smoking, such as going for a walk, or having dinner after work with a non-smoker colleague? We all need friends and social time!

Keep logging on to share and seek support- that is why we are here!

Good luck to you!

Tiana, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

$79,474.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5540 Hours: 12

Minutes: 5 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Alice,

I really appreciate you getting back to me.  Congratulations on your quit!  You've been smoke free for less time than me and you are definitely handling it better than I am.

I was actually thinking about joining an aerobic class somewhere.  I was looking into it.  I also have always wanted to start running but because I had the lung capacity of 2 year old I never tried it.  Now that I have stopped smoking I can envision myself running.  Of course my timing is impeccable.  Nothing like starting to run with the winter approaching.

My problem is once I get a craving and I start to have the thoughts of smoking, it's so hard to stop them.  I yell at myself (thankfully I do this all internally or my husband would have me committed), I drink water, I try and keep myself busy but in the back of my head giving in to smoke a cigarette is always there.  I just want to wake up one morning and it not be the first thing that I think of.

I know I'm whining and carrying on, I have just been having a couple of bad days.

Thanks for listening Alice.  Please know I'll be there for you if you start having the same feelings.

Fozzy
13 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Fozzy,

Congrats on making it to the two week mark!  I appreciate your post as it makes me start to prepare myself for the days to come.  I keep thinking that if I just make it past today, it will be easier tomorrow.  So far I have had a gruelling 3 days, filled with ups and downs.

Have you thought about maybe joining a group activity or group class? (e.g. cooking class, fitness class, etc).  I have been looking into joining a running group.  This way I can be surrounded by healthy people.  It may help with the isolation.  Also, keep writing on here.  As a newbie, I really appreciate it

One day at a time, one step closer to freedom.
~Alice

Reading this thread: