Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

How

17 years ago 0 233 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Rick, Yes I know how you feel. But with the tools on the left it can be done. Go through the program and it will help you come up with coping tools and distractions for yourself when an urge hits. And of course always post here if you get a craving. The people here are truely awesome and have been where we are. They really help. Remember N.O.P.E. Not One Puff Ever! You can do it! ~Valic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 48 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $47.7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 351 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Rick, we are here and we love to be used and abused. We can take whatever you send our way. You should be so proud of the decision you have made, keep telling yourself that you will no longer be a slave to that cigarette. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/19/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 32 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 326 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $64 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
17 years ago 0 47 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi: I am cassie and I went 32 days smoke free and just caved at lunch time. I had gone out with a friend this weekend and went to a bar to have ONE drink, that is all I had but it was the first outing of that type since quitting and I saw a woman smoking a tiny cigarette (capris) and it looked so good. I have had a lot of pressure and stress (not to make excuses) at work and at home- heavy pressure, so today I just decided to get some (capris).I had two on the way back to work and now I'm looking at this site and my mileage, etc. and I don't feel bad (yet), but it is so hard to not smoke when the urge gets into your head and just won't go away. Good luck to all of you and stick to your guns. I will try again- I just don't know when. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 795 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $170 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
17 years ago 0 47 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Josie. I know it won't make me feel better if I keep on smoking. I loved looking every day at how many I haven't smoked. I was forced to buy a newer car this week because i got into a bad car accident on Sunday. I think this too, the achiness I still feel, on top of everything else is making me depressed and that's why I caved.Thanks so much for your support and for this site. I will not leave it- I won't cave too long. As Arnold said "I'll be back"
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rick4us2 , well you have done a lot already,use the tools on the left, they really help a lot and if you need more support see your doctor or other health professionnal. And do this one step at a time :)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 37 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 569 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $148 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
17 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How do I deal with something that never goes away? I tried about 17 years ago and for 6 months all's I wanted was a smoke. I do not what to fail again, so how do I stop when the urge never goes away? I beat drugs because the urge goes away. I am not weak but my strenth only goes so far.
  • Quit Meter

$181,824.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9498 Hours: 10

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi rick4us2 & Welcome, Stop thinking that you are giving up something. You aren't. You are giving yourself a wonderful gift. Switch your mind/thoughts to that. Unbrainwash yourself from the lies of society regarding nicotine. Unbrainwash yourself from the lies of smoking. You were not born with a smoke hanging out of your mouth. You do not NEED them. You are ADDICTED to them because one day long ago you 'made' yourself 'like' them. I doubt very seriously if the first cigarette you smoked, you were like 'Wow, this great, I can't wait to smoke another!'. UNaddict your body and your mind. Do not underestimate what you can do if you set your mind to it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 70 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,115 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $280 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
  • Quit Meter

$54,547.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5961 Hours: 2

Minutes: 6 Seconds: 48

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi rick4us2 - You stay focused on your reason(s) for quitting... You may not stop the urge, BUT you can make a very clear choice each moment, urge or not, NOT to smoke... Determination and focus AND coping skills for the very worst times, will support a strong, forever Quit. Stay close and post often. and if you want to light up, make a promise to yourself that you will POST BEFORE YOU LIGHT UP AND WAIT FOR 5 PEOPLE TO RESPOND... Download the SSC messenger and IM me (or Cobenfan) for extra support. I am on the messenger often during the afternoons and evenings... Blessings- Healer [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 138 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,834 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $641.7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
17 years ago 0 62 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Rick -- Hang in there buddy. I tried quitting many times in my 43 years of smoking. The difference with this quit and the others was: All the other times: I let the urges control my thoughts and it was a constant battle to stay quit. The cigarette was constantly in my thoughts, I constantly thought about how 'good' one would taste. THIS QUIT Whenever I had an urge, instead of doing the above I said "stop right now..why are you thinking about how good a cigarette would be, it only serves to sabotage my quit so why would I torment myself further by continually thinking about how nice it would be or how nice it used to be." N.O.P.E. For me that shift from thinking about it all the time TO I will not do this to myself (thinking about it all the time). I am a non smoker and thinking about it all the time only serves to make my quite difficult. We all have our ways and means and I am confident that you will find a way Rick...Cheers [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 379 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,586 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2653 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 49 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
17 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Rick and welcome to the greatest place to quit smoking. To answer your question of how....It's all about choice. Today, right now, I choose not to smoke. If you can stop for 5 minutes then you can quit for good. Take your quit five minutes at a time. When you finish with that, move on to the next five. One step at a time, one day at a time. As long as you don't light that next cigarette you have got it made. You, me and everyone else here are addicts. We are addicted to nicotine. Just as the alcoholic cannot have another drink, we cannot have another puff. N.O.P.E. (Not One Puff Ever). That is how we all quit. Learn all you can about this horrible addiction. There is a lot of information on these boards that can help you win this battle to take your life back from the enslavement of smoking. Congratulations on your decision to quit. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 384 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,699 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1344 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 33 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39

Reading this thread: