Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

Just a thought

10 years ago 0 1095 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Defeat doesn't finish a man, quit does. A man is not finished when he's defeated. He's finished when he quits. Richard M. Nixon Duffis
There are only two things a child will share willingly; communicable diseases and its mother's age. Benjamin Spock Duffis
Creativity is merely a plus name for regular activity. Any activity becomes creative when the doer cares about doing it right, or better. John Updike Duffis
Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant. Robert Louis Stevenson Duffis
The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it. John Ruskin Duffis
Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable. George S. Patton Duffis
Thank you Pen and I hope your turkey and mash turn out great. Duffis
10 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Duffis, 

I’m glad to hear that you are well. Your sudden departures always get me thinking – I should know better! 

I was saddened last January to read of Roxie’s passing. It must have left a huge hole in your life after so long together. I’m not sure I’d know where to begin but I also guess that the life of the one left behind must carry on. Your life carries on. 

As my quit lengthens I sometimes wonder what state I would be in now if I had carried on with the smokes and the booze. I was 47 going on 67 back in 2004, now I’m 57 feeling like 37. It’s a funny old world. 

Thanksgiving isn’t celebrated over here but as an adopted New England Yankee I do my own little thing with Turkey and Mash but I have to tell you I can’t get on with Pumpkin Pie! It must be hard for you at this time of year, for us also but as Clare (aka Luna) said on the telephone only this morning, one day we will spend Thanksgiving together. Not tomorrow but 2014? Who knows?! 

What I do know is that quitting smoking was one of the best things I have ever done in my life. I have done myself a huge favour and met some wonderful people in the process! 

Try to enjoy the holiday - and just keep on keeping on!!

Best, Pen 

• Quit Meter

$56,969.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1128 Hours: 10

Minutes: 39 Seconds: 21

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Thank you Pen for I always appreciate your wit and concerns. I am alive and well these days enjoying retirement, although I do teach seniors computer skills at the local senior center. The bones are old but still get me around the golf course on occasion. My life has been turned upside down with the loss of my wife Roxie aka Pete; I had to take her off life support after complications from open heart surgery. It is pure hell to loose a life long partner and I am facing the one year anniversary next month of her death. I never thought once about smoking during this time of pain. When I quit smoking 8 years or so ago I really did not understand what it would or could do for me. After smoking for 60 years I thought for sure that I would be doomed to lung cancer or heart disease but I skated and today do not have either. You are never too old to quit and add life to your system. You also save money, enjoy food better along with new friends and family. Quitting can be a pain in the rear, it turns your life around and upside down yet as each day goes by it does get easier. I have said for ever "have a plan and work your plan" Quitting can be done and as you have always said Pen "when the desire to quit overcomes the desire to smoke you will be quit not until" Hope you and yours have a great holiday and stay well my friend. Duffis
10 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
BTW - Duffis, are you OK?

Best Regards,
Pen 
  • Quit Meter

$56,969.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1128 Hours: 10

Minutes: 39 Seconds: 21

Life Gained

• Quit Meter