Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

THANK YOU

15 years ago 0 58 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi there Miss Marple,

After reading Mr CT's information, I looked into this KUDZU stuff - it is available in health food stores - I think in both tablet and tincture form, however, most of the info was in relation to alcohol addiction/binge drinking ... and this does not apply to me ... I do drink ... but it is the cigarettes that I am addicted to ... not the alcohol.  There seems to be some conflicting research regarding the actual value of the tablets (as in ... is there enough actual kudzu in them for them to be considered beneficial ... quantities appear to vary depending upon manufacturer, although it seems that the U.S.A has the best!!)  The tincture appears to be considered as being more useful ... however ... one snag ... the tincture is alcohol based .... Hmm!

Anyway, it does appear that this little herbal marvel is used widely by those with alcohol dependency ... does it work ... who knows?  It is claimed that it also has other beneficial properties for migraine and for menopausal symptoms ... the former applies to me ... the latter can wait a while yet !!  

Can you believe that I only went into the shop for cinnamon sticks ... now I am starting to wonder what kind of vibe I am generating .... do I look like someone with multiple addictions???  more scarily ... did I behave like someone with multiple addictions? (probably!)  or maybe she noted my gritted teeth, my erratic behaviour, clenched fists and wild eyes ... and thought ... oh yeah! it's gotta be the menopause!!!  

Lil xx

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/19/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 11
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 165
Amount Saved: �48.68
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 1 Mins: 25 Seconds: 46

15 years ago 0 135 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello MissMarple :)
Please, dont start making tea of the stuff  (KUDZU) , it might be poison innatura !

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/8/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 114
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,280
Amount Saved: $174.42
Life Gained:
Days: 16 Hrs: 20 Mins: 56 Seconds: 58

15 years ago 0 597 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was reading, Cold Turkey, your post about Kudzu.  In Tennesse, where I live, Kudzu was introduced as a fix for erosion on hillsides.  Unfortunately, the stuff has gone WILD and has taken over. It is, frankly, a nuisance!  I never realized it actually has some positive aspects to it.  So, just how do you prepare this weed for consumption?  Steep it like a tea or what?
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/22/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 8
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 320
Amount Saved: $64.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 23 Mins: 11 Seconds: 20

• Quit Meter

$52,380.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 740 Hours: 20

Minutes: 20 Seconds: 52

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hello Lil,
Thanks for the comment in my blog about the paintings. I asked you to let me know what you think of them because I thought you would understand them better as you are a Mental Health Worker 

My grandmothers sister is a very very old nun (97 years old!) and she just hates my paintings LOL  Once I asked her for a job as an exorcist because I can trap demons and ghosts in my paintings. She did not want to speak with me for one month... then I just took her a wonderful box of chocolates and she did forgive me !!

The KEY in the paintings is a strange thing, all my paintings have a KEY and a CROSS. I don't know why, they just don't seem finished with out these symbols... the answer for the question is trapped in my subconscious.
Thanks again for the comment Lil and keep up smoke free

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 114
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,280
Amount Saved: $174.42
Life Gained:
Days: 16 Hrs: 20 Mins: 28 Seconds: 7

15 years ago 0 303 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Lil,

Congrats on all your success and don't worry your secret is safe with us.  I'm happy that you've come so far.  Keep up the great work.

Mr Q

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/4/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 87
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,088
Amount Saved: $652.50
Life Gained:
Days: 9 Hrs: 8 Mins: 47 Seconds: 37

• Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Lil, I too would never have believed a web site and its members would be so instrumental in my quit, but the first few days/weeks (maybe even now) I used to drive these guys crazy, posting like a demon!!!
I read somewhere too that studies have shown that the support of a group in quitting ensures far more success than those who quit alone.
I think its great to have you on board, you're such a good member already and look at your stats how they are going up eh?? it doesnt seem a minute since you came on here and now you're 11 days in- well good on you, heres to the next!!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 173
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,325
Amount Saved: $2,595.00
Life Gained:
Days: 20 Hrs: 8 Mins: 13 Seconds: 44

15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Fag Ash Lil,

Cold Turkey, No Smokin Tresa, and Ros have given you alot of information that I hope you find helpful...great advice everyone.  We are all here to support one another!

Keep it going, 

Karen, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 112 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations in making it through last night Lil!

Now about that 10 day reward...? Seriously, do not neglect the rewards side of quitting, not if you want to get your brain chemistry back to normal as quickly as possible. The science is out there, as well as the testimonials of millions of succesful quitters. Nicotine used to occupy your dopamine receptors, therefore your body produced less dopamine, now you need to boost it up again, the simplest way is by rewarding yourself often.

A few natural things that help with boosting dopamine - broad beans (fava beans in US) contain L-dopa. Also foods high in Tyramine will probably help too - aged cheeses and meats (like cured ham) red wine, in moderation  soy sauce, chocolate, also in moderation

As to your severe niceness symptoms, sorry, nothing we can do about that, one of the side effects of this web site I'm afraid!

Keep up the good work, you've done hell week, you are half way through heck week (when craves aren't continuous, but come out of nowhere when they hit) next week is blah week when you'll probably feel very flat and a bit miserable (you might be verging on that now, these 'weeks' aren't exact for everyone) then after that most people have a period of temptation, where the worst seems to be over and they wonder if they couldn't have "just one" - the answer is that they can't, otherwise they'll be back to square one again!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/16/2004
Smoke-Free Days: 1413
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 45,216
Amount Saved: �8,478.00
Life Gained:
Days: 196 Hrs: 22 Mins: 51 Seconds: 9

• Quit Meter

$32,250.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 688 Hours: 0

Minutes: 28 Seconds: 32

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 855 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Hi LIL, hey thats why were here, i know for a fact without this site and The people i would have never made it, stay here and just give back what you feel you were givin, its very rewarding :) iam glad you are hanging in there .  stay in here  You are doing a good Job Tresa
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/8/2002
Smoke-Free Days: 2274
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 54,576
Amount Saved: $9,550.80
Life Gained:
Days: 325 Hrs: 2 Mins: 58 Seconds: 46

Hello Fag Ash Lil 
You are doing great, I promise it will get easier soon, trust me 

From WIKIPEDIA :)

Medicine

Studies have shown that kudzu can reduce both hangovers and alcohol cravings.[5][6][7] Persons who take kudzu will still drink alcohol; however, they will consume less than if they had not taken kudzu.[8] The mechanism for this is not yet established, but it may have to do with both alcohol metabolism and the reward circuits in the brain. The Harvard Medical School is studying kudzu as a possible way to treat alcoholic cravings, by turning an extracted compound from the herb into a medical drug.[9]

Kudzu also contains a number of useful isoflavones, including daidzein (an anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial agent), daidzin (a cancer preventive) and genistein (an antileukemic agent). Kudzu is a unique source of the isoflavone puerarin. Kudzu root compounds can affect neurotransmitters (including serotonin, GABA, and glutamate) and it has shown value in treating migraine and cluster headache.[10] It is recommended for allergies and diarrhea.[11]

Research in mice models suggests that Kudzu is beneficial for control of some post-menopausal symptoms such as hypertension and diabetes type II.[12]

In traditional Chinese medicine, where it is known as gé gen (??), kudzu is considered one of the 50 fundamental herbs. It is used to treat tinnitus, vertigo, and Wei syndrome (superficial heat close to the surface).[citation
-----------------------------------------------------

PS: check my paintings in my Blog and let me know what you think of them with a comment :)

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 113
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,260
Amount Saved: $172.89
Life Gained:
Days: 16 Hrs: 17 Mins: 24 Seconds: 3

Reading this thread: