Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,649 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PKENNETH LANCE, JSABAS, ASHAINE, EFAJARDO, MMAGTARAYO

Emotional Development

16 years ago 0 1151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, there's a lot of good stuff going on in this thread :) Let's see... Lady - YUP, YUP and YUP! The self-exploration was definitely the hardest part for me but ultimately the most rewarding. Before I quit my personal growth pretty much dead-ended at smoking no matter what I did on my own. It was like a hamster wheel that I couldn't get off. I think that is why I ran to my new life and tried not to look back. Once I got a taste of the 'moving forward' everything else just paled in comparison. But the first couple months was like taking the lid off a boiling pot and the emotions spilled everywhere. It's awesome that so many things in your life have come together, you are an inspiration Lady! Audrey, great job on a great interview. I still hate them, smoking or not ;p Your post and elderone's post reminded me of something my pastor told us about what fear really is: False Expectations Appearing Real Ciao everyone! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/5/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1113 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 22,260 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5,008.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 85 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
  • Quit Meter

$37,082.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 641 Hours: 8

Minutes: 3 Seconds: 9

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 34 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Audrey. I have noticed one of life's little truths in your interview experience. [i][b]"Things are rarely as bad as our fears make them out to be."[/i][/b] Congratulations on 200+ days quit. That is a tremendous achievement few experience. ElderOne [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/23/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 92 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,840 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $436.08 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WOOHOO!! Audrey!! Way to go. I used to work in recruiting and it's true what Lady says. If you don't get the offer, it means yours is still out there & you have that practice interview to learn from. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 101 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,020 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,111.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
16 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good for you Audrey (and you didn't hijak anything) Someone once gave me excellent advice about interviewing which has helped me tremendously!! I did just negotiate a relocation package and a high level position without any agency or anyone else involved except me and the employer so I think it worked really well. When someone calls you in for an interview, they have already seen from your resume that you have the skill set they are looking for otherwise they wouldn't be calling you in. The purpose of the interview is to see if you will fit in with the group that they have. Let's face it, there are tons of different kinds of offices out there. For example, I am outspoken, do my own thing, require little supervision (so I can work and post here ;) ) I like to cut up, and work independantly. I would not do well in cubicle land, with a boss that stands over my shoulder, and a bunch of people without a sense of humor. That is the real point of the interview. Of course, they also want to verify that you can back up your resume but that is the easy part. So whenever you have an interview, be yourself. If you dont' fit the mode, you don't want to work there! If you fit, it will be awesome! I have a job I absolutely love after taking this advise. I hope it helps you as well. (Gesh! That Lady gets long winded doesn't she :gasp: ) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 782 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 15,640 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,737.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 70 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
16 years ago 0 911 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all! I know I owe some of you a report but I didn't know how to do it (I feel like I stole this thread away from its original intention). Things actually went very well on the interview. I think the last interview I had where they really ran me through the mill made me get myself all worked up as if I were just about to be let into a gladiator arena. I had rehearsed my responses, practiced, asked for support here and it was given genuinely and generously. I also do believe that emotionally I am still growing. I felt for sure like a frightened little girl for a couple of days there. I was deep breathing up until the very moment. Oh, and I read of Duffis posts too. There was one that talked about fear being a good thing. It ended up to be pretty comfortable and non-grueling, and they were very kind. So, I don't know if I'll get an offer but I am grateful for the experience and to be able to put a pretty good interview under my belt. :) Thank you all for helping me. And Lady, change is more exciting than scary today! ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 218 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,360 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $610.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
16 years ago 0 1450 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Post [img]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/686/ladyfy4.gif[/img] [color=blue][font=Tahoma]All the best~ [/color] [img] http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/9985/n2kka5.jpg[/img] [/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/20/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 731 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 16,082 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,655.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 71 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
16 years ago 0 715 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Audrey, just wondering how the interview went? Just breathe......ahhhhhhhh [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 80 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $19.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
  • Quit Meter

$26,856.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 587 Hours: 15

Minutes: 20 Seconds: 31

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 715 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post Lady, lol. It's so true that when we 1st quit and begin our new lives in recovery that we have no idea what we're getting ourselves into, LOL. Admitting you're an addict is the 1st step, quitting is the 2nd step and then finally you can get to the root of the problem which is you. The problem wasn't really smoking, it's what led u to smoking and what is still there after u quit smoking. If I don't change the problem (me) then I won't stay quit very long because the cause will still be there. I have to change and when I do I see everything differently. We can only change the way we think and choose to beieve and view other people places and things. We cannot do the opposite. An example of what Lady said is.....I had my 1st drink when I was 17 and quit in 1996 when I was 33. So even though my physical age was 33 I was only 17yrs old emotionally and had a lot to learn and ton of growing up to do! So now at age 44 I am 32 yrs old emotionally. I'd like to think I did so much work on myself that I skipped a few yrs though, LOL. NOt that it matters :O Yes Audrey (my angel) change is extrememly scary but then come to think of it, so is dying from cancer I would suppose. So look at change as being a refreshing new experience. It's not easy but look at how you'll shine once you get started with the process. Just look at Lady and even me :) Even though I'm struggling with quitting smoking I have changed so friggin much since I began my recovery 11 yrs ago, it's amazing! I had to or else I would still be out there drinking and I was sick of that lifestyle and of being a "drunk". So I became an alcoholic instead and changed myself and my whole life is better now! Same with smoking. Sometimes I get soooooo tired of working on myself but I'm trying really hard to get back in there and work on the problem which is me so that I can also kick this stinky habit to the curb! My committment to be smoke-free I believe is even stronger than my last good quit. I'm so anxious to be a happy non-smoker again I can taste it! There I go again yak yak yak. This kind of thread gets me excited b/c this is how we quit smoking. This is a huge part of the knowledge that will give u the power to be a non-smoker and also change yourself and your LIFE! We're not just quitting smoking here ;) Just breathe........ahhhhhhhhh [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 80 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $19.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
  • Quit Meter

$26,856.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 587 Hours: 15

Minutes: 20 Seconds: 31

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Audrey, You are checking them out! You find out what they have to offer you. What kind of place is it? What kind of career path development do they offer employees? What kind of improvement projects is the corporation working on at this time? What is their history and their vision for the future! YOU are the asset! YOU have something to offer them! A bright, intelligent person with skills that they obviously need to help them proceed forward. Ask them where you would be the most beneficial to them. What areas do they need the most help in developing because you love a challenge! In case you wonder how I know you are bright and intelligent, it is because you were smart enough to quit smoking ;) . Let us know what happens! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 780 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 15,600 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,730.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 70 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
16 years ago 0 911 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you all of you, you are truly wonderful people. I'm talking to myself a lot today! Quite an emotional day today. Tomorrow about this time I should be in the middle of it. I really to want to blow it. I have been quite picky because I have been in the position to. This one could be a good one...I try to tell myself that I'm checking them out! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 216 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,320 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $604.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42

Reading this thread: