Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

a good question

17 years ago 0 985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I understand exactly what you're getting at Jim.. But when all is said and done it was our choice, even with the knowlege of what smoking can do to you, we still went to the store and bought our smokes. It's an addiction as is alcholism - both are legal and both can kill. But again, they are legal and we chose to either smoke or drink or both...EVEN when they raise the prices, still people are so hooked that they STILL smoke. As an example.. My dad, almost 2 yrs. ago lost a 1/2 a lung to cancer from smoking and what did he do when he got home from hospital? He lit up, and poured himself a drink... UUUGGGHHH! Now he's in the hospital again, will probably never come home again because the cancer is in the other lung and he's dying. I know he's my dad and I love him.. BUT..I AM SOOOOO P*ssed off at him. I feel such anger mixed with sadness -- But Jim, all of this his choice and I cannot change his mind nor can I take it upon me this far into my quit to allow it to stress me to the point of needing a smoke. Sorry,, I kinda went off there.. have so many thoughts and feelings of angst... Monica58 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 425 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $189 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
17 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Conversation is veering away from original question, which I am just now seeing for the first time --- Phil Ochs wrote an incredible song some years ago (which Joan Baez covered absolutely superbly) called "There But for Fortune," which is what I sing to myself all the time. No judgment, no right, no wrong --- just there but for fortune, go I. (I think it's probably a paraphrase of "There but for the grace of God go I," but I don't believe that statement so much. (But that's a whole other discussion.) I look at the 70-day folks who go back, that 11-year woman, and everyone else, and just hum quietly and give thanks for the life and artistry of Phil Ochs. peteg [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,125 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $121 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
wow, imallclear, what a story! Thanks so much for telling it, however painful. What a huge gift it is to me, as I keep thinking every day makes the quit more invulnerable. Not so, as your experience indicates. Call it hereditary? Why? What good are reaons and labels? It is was it is; and it doesn't go away, ever. IAC -- thanks for the reality check and wakeup call. As the old hymn says (paraphrase), "New every morning dawns the Quit." Thanks peteg [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,094 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $115.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
17 years ago 0 290 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jim, you are a very wise person indeed!...We are on the way to a smoke free society. We all must face it and so should the manufacurers. In the 70's some 37% of the population smoked, now only 5% smokes! What does that tell you? More people are wising up. The politicians listen to the majority (yes, as well as campaign contributors). Where I live in super health conscience So Cal., There is not many places a smoker is welcome, if not rejected. I would much rather quit for my own reasons...Rather than "THE MAN" telling me I have to quit! Now, a word of caution, You have tread on waters I went across a week ago. You have to realise YOUR quit is YOUR quit! You have to look at stat parade and look at the people that have made it. Look at the people who have a little slip and get right back on the horse!! A slip is not inevitable. The people who have posted above me,omg,incredibly strong people. One thing I see in common, especially imallclear, is you think after a year, 10 or 100 that you can have one puff...in a hundred years you must remember NOPE.--Kevin [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 13 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 279 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $59.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
17 years ago 0 327 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have done it 3-4 times - quit for more than a year and went back. For me it seems like it is partly forgetfulness and the addiction convinces me that I'm missing something and could have a nice time by just having a few. It happens when I am away from home. I have a few and don't touch them for a long time, then have a few more, then they just get more and more frequent until I am smoking again. This time I'm going to do my best to keep coming here and reading and offering some support to help the memory of smoking/quitting and why I don't want that in my life. QM [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 716 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $140 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Jaset - I have to admit that there's time that I am really p***d off too. I started smoking when I was 15 and at that point everybody hung out in the smoking area and everybody smoked. What makes me angry is that the Tobacco companies were actually targetting teenagers and finding ways to make cigarettes more addictive. I made alot of stupid decisions when I was 15 but none of the rest resulted in a life-long addiction. Fortunately, it is no longer legal for people under the age of 21 to purchase cigarettes here. Having said that, this is now my problem. They can't fix it. In the past, I chose to smoke. Today, I choose not to. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 71 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,434 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $355 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi jaset - I think that question scares us all. It's possible to lose your quit if we become complacent and think we can have "just one". It's also true that some stressor may trigger us to smoke if we aren't vigilant. When I hear these stories, it makes me abit wobbly....but look at how many of these people come back - determined to quit again (That means that life IS better as a non-smoker - we just need to remember that) I know lots of successful quitters in my life. They have chosen to be non-smokers. If we just remember N.O.P.E., we can get there too. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 70 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,418 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $350 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
17 years ago 0 598 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Why go back ?! Well, old habit dies hard! :) The nicodemon in us is very tricky and persistent. He can lie dormant for many months, and suddently, he re-appears to catch you if you are not careful! :) One moment of complacency - or over-confidence - will lead you to believe that you could handle just one cigarette puff ... and the rest is history! :) That's why, in this quit, I told myself: - I'm determined to succeed. - Smoking is out of my mind. - I'm now in the "river of no return", and its strong current will eventually take me to the great ocean, the ocean of freedom from nicotine addiction. Yes, I also have moments of irritation, anxiety, anger, discomfort ... and I crave a lot. But friends, I realize that I actually crave for comfort, NOT cigarettes! I will do all I can to bring that comfort back to my body: deep breaths, icy water, mint, cinnamon, hot chilli, chatting in this SSC, ... and NRT aids (as the last line of defence). NOPE - Not One Puff Ever! Cheers, nmc (a fifth time quitter) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 87 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 879 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $435 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jim I am on day 100 plus something. I still get cravings and I must confess they make life hard. I can fully appreciate why anyone who was at a particularly low point would go back to smoking once a smoker always a smoker its a bit like an alcoholic you are never free of it. What puts me off is the thought of having to go through this horrible quit process again and one cig would put me back to day one so no more for me... Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 106 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,124 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �556.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
17 years ago 0 583 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
jaset, Watch the movie Thank you For Smoking. That gives a real image of big tobacco and lobbiest. Be careful though because he is convincing. There were a few times in the movie that I wanted to smoke. The rest of the time I was thankful to be a nonsmoker.. To your oringinal point. It is addiction. We have smoked for many years, for many occasions. Unlike achohol(which some people are more genicticly inclined to be addicted) cigerets can get anyone who derives comfort from it. Something happens in our memory when we smoke, and get pleasure from it. It then gets stored as a good thing. We have to retrain our mind when we quit smoking. There will always be a part of us that remembers the good. Bad things for some reason are easy to forget. When you start to lose sight of how bad cigs are, or how awful it was to quit. You can be in danger. Stay strong, stay quit. Grace [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 105 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,113 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $420 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4

Reading this thread: