Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-16 2:52 AM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-16 1:17 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,611 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AJESSICA JOY, bae2024, bar2024, bar24, Dh92

The Mature Quit

17 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for bumping this, Cuddles. Excellent post. I enjoyed reading it even though I should be getting ready for work! I have to add my thoughts on this subject. First I want to say, I have never thought the longer term quitters were pompous. Quite the opposite... I think its fantastic that you continue to come here and share what you learned to the new people. You are truly giving back. I hope I will continue to come here and do the same. As for the topic of this post. The change I have experienced in the past month, is learning to take care of myself in a good and positive way. I've spent years taking care of others, and ignoring myself. I'm now taking care of and nurturing myself the way I would someone else, and that kind of thinking is what made me quit smoking. I would not stick a cig in my child's mouth and say: "Here, have a smoke". I'm beginning to treat myself more like I have always treated others, and it feels good. Maturity... yes, at some level it is maturity. I couldn't have comprehended this thinking 10 years ago. You could have told me, but I couldn't have felt it. You have to experience it and everyone's experiences will be different. Last night in a separate post, I talked about negative thoughts getting into my head, and how for the past week I forgotten everything I had learned in the past month. I got a little stressed, and negative took over. It made the quit more of a struggle, instead of the celebration it had been up to that point. I feel like I'm back to my positive self again, and am going to fight to keep it. It makes the quit easier, and makes life so much more enjoyable. On some level, yes, I agree it is maturity. It's not a black and white definition. The freedom feels great when you allow yourself to experience it. I do think the difference between having an easy time of it or a difficult time is all in attitude. Stay positive and celebrate... don't let the pity in on any level, or it goes downhill. I am the type of person who encourages others, and I always appear happy, laughing, enjoying life. People enjoy me... I encourage, energize, and my enthusiasm can be contagious. I teach and I love it. I learn as much from them as they do from me, and students energize me as much as I ene
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members, I have edited this thread as some of the posts did not reflect the supportive nature we encourage here at the SSC. Danielle _________________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 2364 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/cuddlebug230/smileys/4_12_131.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 36 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 724 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $129.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 2364 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree with golferman's post. I have been quitting since oct 2005. I was struggling with my quit as well as everything that was going on in my life. I had almost no confidance in myself. I have matured in my confidance and, I have matured in the way that I handle, what life throws at me. I have quit struggling with my quit, which has made it alot easier to stay quit. [quote] Can our maturity in life be connected with our quits? [/quote] I can honestly say that maturity has helped me with mine. Cuddles [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 36 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 728 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $129.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
17 years ago 0 563 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cuddles, Thanks for the bump. I'm glad that you are getting a handle on day to day life so you can focus on your quit. You will get there and I'm waiting for the day I can welcome you to the 1 year club. :) I reread just about every post in this thread. Quite an interesting array of information! As I reflect on my quit and the quits of others, it can be quite a revelation as to how people have moved through their quits. Christine (Cobenfan), I enjoy your posts and am very glad you are still around adding to the wealth of information here. Hang in there gang... we're getting it done! [b][color=Purple]Be Strong. Be Smart. Be Quit[/color] [color=black]Joe[/color] [size=3][color=Blue]Knowledge Replaces Fear[/color][/size] [size=2][color=purple]Hoping for success without hard work is like trying to harvest without planting.[/color][/size] [size=2][color=black]Illegitimus non carborundum est[/color][/size][/b] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 625 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 15,646 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1531.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 114 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
  • Quit Meter

$36,340.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9770 Hours: 7

Minutes: 59 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
And speaking of maturity...... If a post was bumped becaused it was inspiring to someone at that very moment...then it is good. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/10/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 407 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $230 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
  • Quit Meter

$330,474.15

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6028 Hours: 3

Minutes: 1 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 547 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Amazing discussion, my interest is totally peaked. I hope you all don't mind me posting in here, I think what I'd like to share may be of some value. First off I want to say that I feel the integrity within this discussion has to do with a desire to change or advance to a new level, of something. Each person who contributes to this thread will become a little more enlightned with every newly posted response. Thus, leading to the 2 cents of a nickel from a confident newbie who is proud of her 2 week mark... I feel that success is only measured by how enriched your life is, not financially, but personally. I also feel that change comes from the knowing that something within your self wants to grow and prompts you to 'stretch' yourself beyond your comfort zone long enough to feel outside of it, thus challenge would then appear in one form or another to awaken us long enough to get us to stretch further onward. And lastly, I feel that we EVOLVE when we have reached the pinnacle of this, or the stretch has matured. The next level of our desired achievement is thereby granted. We bestowed it to ourselves. We accomplished something. It is only then that we have grown and reached a new level of 'maturity'. I don't feel there is an actual appropriate part of life we can use the word 'mature' as a fixed state of beingness (mature-d). Maturity is not final. Growth is a cycle, there is no end date, but a constant expanding circle of life into greater circumfrence equate to what we call 'who we are'. We seek definition. As each level of our life matures, we can define who we are a little better, a little clearer. We can witness our own growth and parade it around. IT IS INDEED SOMETHING TO CELEBRATE! One thing always remains clear to me through life: No matter how far along in your journey you are, nor how close to the beginning you are, the teacher is the student and the student is the teacher. You are always learning on this journey, yet you are also always teaching. One in the same, and always evolving into greater understanding. Well since my fog has cleared I was really provoked to respond to this post. I admire everyone's wisdom that has come before me here today and I continue to be a positive and confident sojourner looking for nothing mor
18 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A suggestion....don't get too smug in your quit. I know of several people (unfortunately including myself) who have not smoked for years and then *poof*....the addiction reared its ugly head. Its ALWAYS one day at a time.
  • Quit Meter

$272,556.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6105 Hours: 3

Minutes: 3 Seconds: 18

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1010 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Exactly Christine!! I am walking on the bricks others before me have laid!! Each time I speak about the dreadful fog, I am freaked out by it or scared, and as soon as I read where most people have experienced it and it does go away, I put my mind at ease and I can heal. And when someone posts how long it took for them, then I use that as a 'guide' to work towards...a light at the end of my tunnel. Yes, we are all different but at the same time, we are all in the same pond, but swimming at different speeds. Just knowing someone has experienced what I am experiencing right now, reassures me I am not crazy and I am not whacked out, etc and everything will be just fine. Kiwi put it bluntly for me and Eve telling me her fog was lifing, gave me how mine will do the same soon. I hope that made sense :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/4/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 155 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $38 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
  • Quit Meter

$36,173.56

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 421 Hours: 9

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 22

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1010 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
<---waves to Lady. I will be the 1st to step up to the plate and voice how I have felt for the last 3 weeks...I have been so scared...crying fits...anger..hatred towards myself..the whole kit and kaboodle...I swore I was going mental and I would end up in a straight jacket before too long..... But after talking to you, LN, Eve, others who have told me the fog is a normal thing, and seeing the Mods popping into the threads w/ encouragement...I am not so scared anymore. I hope that made sense! LOL!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/4/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 155 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $38 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
  • Quit Meter

$36,173.56

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 421 Hours: 9

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 22

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

This thread is locked.