Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,621 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

Addiction

17 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
gr8 post! this is reassuring. I have 2 come here now so often and read stuff like this 4 inspiration cuz sometimes it gets a lil' rough 4 me. Leolibra [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 125 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,250 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $625 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
17 years ago 0 2364 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/cuddlebug230/36_1_111.gif[/IMG]
17 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Its' only after we learn this 'truth' that we understand the nature our struggle. Unfortunately this addiction stays with us like alcoholism & will always be within us wether we like it or not. Shevie... Imagine advertsments saying addiction to nicotine is worse than addiction to cocain.. ! shock / horror :8o: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 725 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 18,138 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4712.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 103 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
  • Quit Meter

$12,546.48

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 627 Hours: 19

Minutes: 35 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 82 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My co worker today was making fun of smokers and I informed her that it was an addiction and that smokers were not ignorant, nor poor. Unfortunately I realize that most non smokers think it is just a nasty bad habit and do not realize it is an addiction and needs to be treated as such. Anyway made my point.
  • Quit Meter

$340,695.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5344 Hours: 8

Minutes: 6 Seconds: 48

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 852 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post Lady! ChickenStix took my words exactly! My hubby told me to stop talking about it around smokers because I come off demeaning to them. ;p 4my2girls [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 734 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $78.48 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
18 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank You Lady [quote] start each day with the choice to be free and not to surrender to the addict that lives in each and every one of us [/quote] What a great way to start each day! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 810 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $300 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
18 years ago 0 415 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Right on my Lady friend!! :p Since I quit smoking and refer to it now as a nicotine or drug addiction, smokers look at me like I am crazy! Like I have said, my whole family smokes and aren't ready to see it for what it is!! I also have this horrible way of coming off as a Preacher!! I just feel such conviction for my former addiction! :) It is really hard for me to talk to a smoker without trying to educate them....I just think if they knew more maybe they would do something!!! I guess you can't save them all....or you can you just have to do it one addict at a time!!! Great Post Lady....smokers really don't get it! The Chicken [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 45 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 455 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $168.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[B]Addiction n 1: being abnormally tolerant to and dependent on something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming (especially alcohol or narcotic drugs) 2: an abnormally strong craving 3: (Roman law) a formal award by a court sentence of a thing or person to another; a surrender to a master; "under Roman law addiction was the justification for slavery"[/b] Look at that last line� [B]surrender to a master �under Roman law, addiction was the justification for slavery�.[/b] One of the most amazing things I�ve found in my quit journey is the freedom from something that had control over me for years. The most shocking realization was that I was a slave to smoking and I didn�t even realize it. Now, I look up the term addiction and I see that �addiction� is justification for slavery. Interesting don�t you think? We are all addicts and that will not change. We know that one will always be too many and 1,000 will never be enough. Quitting is a choice not to give in to the addiction any longer. Regardless of circumstances, start each day with the choice to be free and not to surrender to the addict that lives in each and every one of us. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 271 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,428 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $948.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post, Lady. :) It's a real shame that smoking is not recognized for what it is - an addiction to a drug. Perhaps if the anti-smoking/anti-tobacco advertising were to approach it from that truthful slant there would be an even greater impact. Compare a smoker to a coke addict. After all, the brain's reaction to each is essentially the same. Maybe someday...... Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 310 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,209 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1178 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 57 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
18 years ago 0 989 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good post Lady. I think my acceptance of my addiction and my learning curve about the behavior and thought processes of addicts was the single most important realization that led me to becoming a non-smoker. That coupled with the support of SSC made me a WINNER!! You too!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 348 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,711 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1218 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 48 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
  • Quit Meter

$794,955.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5684 Hours: 8

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: