Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Social anxiety disorder

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.756 posts in 47.057 threads.

160,718 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Julesy, grames, rainyjade, AJ8142, HIngle_McCringleberry

Therapy making it worse

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sharon, Even the most up-beat people have bad days. Don't be too hard on yourself. You've sought out help, that's the first step. One foot in front of the other. One baby step at a time. You'll get there. :) Danielle _________________________ The DC Support Team
17 years ago 0 189 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I haven't been to therapy now for a few months. I still find it difficult to have faith that the therapist knows exactly what I am going through, as they have never experienced what I have experienced. It is funny, I know all my issues and problems but I don't have the tools, or I don't have faith in myself to make the right choice or decision. I wish I could be that happy wife, mother, sister, daughter that I have always envisioned being. Maybe one day. Sharon
17 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sharon, a prize to you for your bravery. Sometimes I would rather do anything than go to therapy because it is such HARD WORK. But at the same time there is a part of me that knows I must keep sloggin through this muck and mire. And sometimes at the end of the week, I will look and say that going to therapy was the best thing I did all week and the only thing I can say unequivocally that I feel proud of. You hang in there. One minute at a time.
18 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Sharon. Every time I get home from my therapist I throw up. It's partly a side effect from my meds and partly nerves. The worse I feel after talking to her, the sooner I puke. I hate to say this cliche, but you have to feel worse before you feel better. I've been dealing with major depression for 25+ years. It comes and goes; sometimes it's better and sometimes it's worse. But one thing I know is it usually has to get worse before it gets better. I know how it feels to want it to just GO AWAY. But it doesn't. Please, for the sake of your kids, DO hang on.
18 years ago 0 207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Sharon i know it can be painful to talk about some things but to recover you have really taken a good step thats what the therapists are there for they study for years so we can go to them for guidance they wont judge you so dont ever feel ashamed.Its funny how we can push some of the most painful things out of our minds for so long but i suppose thats half the reason we end up in this predicament so keep going with the therapy it has helped me a lot.Please take care.Gabbi.
18 years ago 0 189 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gabbi, I had another therapy session today and I found out something that happened to me when I was about 13 which is horrifying and I don't know how to deal with it. I feel so ashamed and I could barely bring myself to tell my therapist. I felt after letting it out. It is weird how after 22 years I remember something so painful. Take care and thanks for the support. Sharon
Hi Sharon starting therapy is always hard especially if you have the i should be able to do everything on my own attitude(like me)it will get easier for you just keep at it anger is a big part of depression i had it really bad at the start but now im not so bad i still have my moments but i also control it better.Dont put too much pressure on yourself to recover because that just makes it harder.Anyhow thats my therapy session for today ;pTake care of yourself.Gabbi.
18 years ago 0 189 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Today I completed another therapy session. It was just as hard as before. I am going twice a week this week to she if it helps. I feel extrememly tired, exhausted and which this would end. I have moved into my mother-in-laws house (she is not here) for the days I am in therapy as I can't deal with my own kids. I can't stand noise in the house and I can't stand being around people. I get really anger but I don't know why. My kids have been through enough and I think it is best if I am away for a while. I don't know if this is the right thing or not. Any comments? Sharon
18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sharon, We encourage you to work closely with your therapist and perhaps you may want to use the program together. The Mood Tracker is also a very important tool that can help you note changes in your mood - and it can help you and your therapist begin to see exactly how you're feeling. It's important to use the Mood Tracker daily because it's very hard, if not impossible, to track your mood the day after because we often forget the minor details - especially if you're depressed. Are there any bright spots in your day at all? Do you feel depressed 100% of the time? If you're depressed 99% of the day then make sure you use your Mood Tracker to note what you were doing for the 1% of the day when you momentarily felt not as depressed. This is hard work, but if you use the Mood Tracker you and your therapist can begin to work on slowly making changes in your life that will decrease your depression and increase the amount of time that you feel better. I hope this helps a little, and please let us know how we can help, Josie ___________________________________ The Depression Center Support Team.
Hey Sharon sorry to read your having a rough time but just remember it will pass eventually i know thats hard to believe right now but you will be ok i have found that the past couple of times i have spiralled down a bit i do some exercise like running or yoga and it takes my mind off the negatives if only for a little while.Go for a walk do something you would normally enjoy the less you do the worse you will feel.Hope that helps some.Please take care.Gabbi.

Reading this thread: