Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,633 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

doctors

15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wildcat,

I'm sorry your visit was so unfulfilling.  This is what holds me back from going to see anyone.  In order to help me the person has to be able to know me and what is important to me.  To know something about my life and lifestyle and to care and listen to what I'm saying .  And I have to be ok with them.

This guy sounds like he should be in research where he can read forms all day long.  It doesn't sound like he had much of a personality of his own.  I know it's disappointing but was there any information that you received from him that could be helpful? Did you get to ask him any questions at all?  If you go to your next visit I hope it's much better and focused a little more on your needs and well less clinical.

Take Care Wildcat, you're special and worth the doctor's time to get to know you
Wildcat, have you thought about getting a second opinion regarding the medication? Or is that the only option?
Is it possible for you to make an appointment with another doctor to get a second opinion or to get more information regarding the medication you were prescribed?
If you are feeling unsure or uncertain about the medication you are on, you should definitely ask. It's your body, and you deserve to know what's going into it!
I looked up the drug on Wikipedia and there is some information about it there.
Let me know what you think,

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
Hi Breanne,
in two or three months (when I have a kidney stone from the Topiramate). and the first with the dr from the anxiety and moods disorder clinic. 
wildcat,

It sounds like you had quite the experience. Was this your first session? When are you going back?

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
I know, but after all the wait, and search ... I was hoping to get a  psychiatric genious like doc-maillou on the radio or dr-phil on the TV.
This is what you are. 
  This is the best help for you.
start a, b, c   and we will have a good idea what is next from these results...

I was hoping for a sympathetic and gentil person with awsome communication skills. And someone I could be comfortable with right away. 

You know I just thought of something.  If I am uncomfortable it is probably because the doctor needs to keep some distance between himself and ALL his patiences.  He does not need to relay information to me.  I am the patient and I need to get information out for him to understand what causes my pain.  How it washes over me.  What it is like to be in my head.  It would be nice if we could discuss me, but I have known me for 36 years and he saw me 90 minutes yesterday.  I need to get all this stuff out in some organized form... and it really does not matter his posture, and his messiness, and his germy fingers on my papers, ... it matters that he undestands what is going on.

Thanks Diva.
Time is the best med for now!
15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hiya Wildcat,

Wow sounds like that doctor was something alright...I wish I had something great and magical to tell you to help you feel less confused... All I can really say is I empathize with you and have gone through similar situations. I hate going to see the psychiatrist...I have had some gnarly appointments too. But I would say all in all I managed with the help of my GP and the pharmacist and my therapist to figure things out in the end. so hang in there.

All this too say I know how it is and I feel for you...Take time to let the info and the experience sink in and mostly be good to yourself :)

-Diva
I am confused and worried and really not understanding much anymore.  I have a real psychiatrist now at the psy-hospital's out patient clininc.  And he looked at the notes from my first depressive episode and the notes from the evaualtion modual and asked me a whole bunch of hard questions yesterday.  So I have a personality disorder that is the root of the depressions and i need to learn to builb a thick skin. i am hyper-sensitive to rejection, even allergic to it. And still unsure about me being bipolar.  It might be the Effexor that is playing with my moods.
so what does he do!  add more meds!  and Meds I can't find internet info on -dom-topiramate as a mood stabliser-  at least it is going to do something for my migraine! And if I was hiding epelepsy well this med will do something for it! And it will help me to lose a bit of weight wooowho!

I know.  i looked at his phrasing over and over in my head and he was not accusing but his manner and posture were unsettling.  Even some of his questions... like if some one wanted to hert you, devestate you psychologically what would they have to say?"   -you are a complete stranger, i have no relationship with you, and what kind of question is that?- I need some bounderies still!  Whoa minute!  He spent 45 minutes rifling through my files and his files -making a mess- and never looking up only asking questions -family history, previous episode details- and at the end he sits back in his leather chair and asks me what do i want... what am I there for ... of course I answered that 4 times before while he was reading the notes ... but this was insulting.  And I got the the ... you are, you are, I am not clear about...,  Here is the prescription this is good because you are Obese, you have Migraine, and you do not tolerate Seroquel.  Come back again.   WHEN?   I had to ask, WHEN?  in two or three months? -the usual delay-

So here i am poisoning myself with topiramate. unclear what is a personality disorder, it was the first time someone mentioned it to me! Not sure if I am bipolar or medication mood shifting! and exhausted from that brutal 90 minute appointment.  My husband is so sweet that he took the kids out on a bike tour so I can adjust to the meds on my own in peace and quiet.  he forgot the bugger upstairs.

Reading this thread: