Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,558 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Working on the house

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Diva, I am a country girl, born and raised in a rural county in the US.  I have always lived in the country and not this big (lol) metropolitan city of 10,000.  lol.  I moved to the city after my son went off to college - trying to be practical and not have to take care of yard, work on my PhD, work full-time, travel 12 hours to and from school/ per week, study and other civic involvements like teaching swim lessons in the summer.  It was practical at the time.....but I have neighbors everywhere and I'm not accustomed to that.  I feel like I live in a fish bowl.  I've lived her for near 10 years.  As you know the last 6 with depression.  I want to move to the country where there is privacy and privacy and privacy.  The renovations had to be done either way and in this economy who is to say whether or not I can sell my home.  If not, at least, I will feel better living in a clean home with needed repairs.
I wonder sometimes if I don't want to move to the country more now because of my depression and my desire (which I fight) to seclude myself. I do joke with friends  that I want a house with a moat complete with alligators (too cold for them to live here). 
Anyway, I need to go to sleep.....but can't.  So too much info, huh?
14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow Goofy! Woohoo! You go girl! This thread is truely inpirational! So, you are fixing up the house to sell it?

I am just so very impressed with all you are accomplishing! Keep us updated!
The update of ALLLLLLLL UPDATES.  Every entire thread of that nasty carpet is out of my house.  We took it all out of my bedroom and it is the last of it!  We also did some other things.  But the place feels clean and all I have is bare floors back there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I look forward to the new floor, but getting rid of that one and throwing that last bit of carpet in the local waste managment facility was a tremendous sense of relief!!!!!!!!

14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, Goofy! What a great update! You really got a lot of work done on your place in the past week and a half, way to go!

Keep us posted!

Samantha, Health Educator
Okay, My update, we have completed all the flooring in both spare bedrroms, the living room, hall, and the den.  We lack quarter round where there is something keeping us from finishing it.  We have all walls painted in all rooms, except my bedroom.  My bedroom and one bathroom are the only things we lack except as mentioned above.....woo hoo.  We plan to start on it Monday.  I can't believe it didn't take any longer than this - about a month and a week total to finish (our best estimate and I'm impressed with us.  I got blinds clean, curtains hung, windows washed, a few little repairs like to closet door runners, etc. all completed.  I still lack the flooring in kitchen and vestibule but that will be last and shouldn't take long.  I got furniture arranged except in 2 spare bedrooms as we are hanging on to those areas for storage.  lol, good thing my computer is on wheels or I'd be LOST! 
Her mother is having surgery on Wednesday so she will have to miss Wed. and Thursday minimum.  So I hope there are things I can do myself.  I'm a bit anxious about operating the saws.  I've done them before but pre-depression/anxiety.
I feel better when I walk in; but still want to sell due to the fish bowl effect. Neighbors everywhere.
There is some work to be done outside - landscaping; changing carpet on porch; filling in some dirt where my big dog dug holes, cleaning out shed, attic and garage (sounds like a large donation, a yard sale or freebee's to someone in need).  I haven't decided yet. 

Okay, paint and flooring except thresholds is done in all of house except my bedroom.  Have a couple of updates to one bathroom; then my bedroom needs LOTS of work.  I'm so glad of what we've accomplished in such a short time.  It's been great!  I've had jury duty amongst all this and have worked very little of my part-time job.  BUT it is worth it.  I still have to do flooring in vestibule and kitchen....there a few minor things here and there but we are working hard and getting 'er done.

I like it; but I still want to sell it and buy a house with a moat with pirhanna's in it or alligators (they won't live in this climate btw).  Just wishful thinking on my part!  So instead I'll take a country house with lots of trees!

Okay enough rambling about the house.  :)

Hello Goofy!

Well your gentleman friend sounds like a catch! I am very happy for you!
And wow you and your friend are just rocking that house! Wow! I am impressed. I am so happy you have a friend like that who helps you and keeps you motivated! She sounds like a really good friend! I just want to say way to go Goofy on the house and everything! I sure would love to see pictures of the finish product one day, unless that is being too nosy and then I understand lol!

As for being held accountable I think I get it. That is why I keep making myself post honestly in my I am a mess thread. I think in the long run being accountable for myself will help me stay on top of things.

As for the superbowl, I think it is great that not only you have two sets of plans but that on top of it your friend can go to either! It sounds great :)

Thanks for the news! And I am looking forward to hearing more!
Howdy Diva
Yeah, Family dinners are the greatest.  My friend, the guy I see, he's retired military, a bit older than I, very much a gentleman, kind, considerate, understanding, and I find him very attractive - inside and out!
The house:  Yeah, motivation kicked in when my friend got here today after I called her and told her there was really nothing we could do. lol, she made a liar out of me.  We painted one whole bedroom, top to bottom, two coats and are ready start the new flooring tomorrow.  The paint base we needed to make the color we'd been using came in so I got the paint this afternoon late and we can finish the DEN, yeah, 2 down and after the flooring and a bit of furniture moving three down.  We are definitely moving right along, she is using the saws mostly; I'm afraid....lol, I know how just haven't in forever and well, she's got more experience.  I defer to her most of the time with that task. 
We hope we can finish that room tomorrow, start on my "computer room" which is actually a third bedroom.  It's a mess.  Somewhere in here she said she'd keep working and I could start cleaning up the kitchen and my bedroom as things haven't been moved around and around and landed various places.
Progress and being pushed, being held accountable, having to have something about how I'm moving forward...with the house, with me, with life! 
My son called and asked me what my plans for the SuperBowl were - since I have a plan he gave me a contingency plan if it falls through.  I thought that was great!  Oh and my friend can do either with me if he is so inclined.  :)
Heya Goofy!

Wow I am totally impressed with all  you got done. And having a room to showcase all those lovely antiques sounds great! As for having spent too much time in bed, well we all deserve rest! Wow I am really impressed.

I know how you feel though when you say you are getting less motivated. Sometimes as it wears we get a bit disenchanted with the whole thing. But you will see it will be worth the effort. and your friend sounds like great support! But as for your get-up and go, getting-up and going, I totally get it lol! I need to make a list as well!

I am glad for you the guy you are dating is coming over. What is he like?

Oh and rambling is ok and I am not overwhelmed whatsoever :) I am glad to have news of you!

Take care and send more news!

P.S: Aren't fasmily dinners nice :)

Well, Diva - spent alot of time in bed this weekend.  Too much time playing games on computers.  I did take the trash out Sunday night and I remembered all by myself.  lol, I had a note in the kitchen, but with all the work it fell somewhere????

I cleaned up some of the mess; collected tools and returned them to the toolbox which is in the middle of the floor.  lol  I also packed some books away....I never got 'em all out; but I had to have some of them out - even if I can't comprehend like I used to.  I feel naked without my books around me. 

I figured out how to use the new TV system that was installed and hooked up (I can watch TV now).  I'm fairly electronically challenged, so  I took notes when the guy was telling me (also a way I compensate for memory issues) and deciphered them this weekend. 

Got my curtains hung up in two rooms.  Teaching the dog to say off the new furniture lol.  All the furniture we had in Den and LR had moved to a bedroom and since we are finished (except for some touch up painting - the paint didn't get here).  We moved it back to the Den (where it will all go now).  We put down the quarter round molding in all the rooms and down the hall.  Removed carpet and wall paper border from the walls; spackled the holes in the walls.  Will start painting in there tomorrow - going to get paint at a different place so may not be apt to run out of the base paint they use to mix it with.  But still waiting on the paint to finish the hall and part of the Den (I call it the Den because it was my LR but I inherited a bunch of antiques when dad died so I am fixing that room to showcase them basically.  I got a doll that my great great great grandmother brought over from Germany - almost in mint condition.  I'm excited about getting to put all these antiques in one place.  We are making progress unfortunately I don't do as much on weekends as I could.
I did go out to my son's house and had dinner with him and his family and my grandmother.  IT WAS GOOD!
Been depressed, hard to get going, but my friend is pushing me....lol, said we have to get it done.  She's right but my get up and go, gets up and goes some times....I know you can relate.  I think my enthusiasm is waning.  But when it does, I look at the beautiful new LR and I keep thinking they can all look good again.  I've got a list, lol, and I'm checking them off as we go.
My friend (guy I date) is coming in this weekend - I've warned him.  lol, I'll make a path to the bedroom, bathroom, LR and kitchen.  I am excited about seeing him as it's been almost a month due to the bad weather.
Okay, I'm rambling.  Thanks for asking.  Hope I haven't overwhelmed you. 

Reading this thread: