Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Anniversary Reactions

10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ~m, 

I'm sorry to hear you are going through these rough emotions and feeling them deeper than ever at this time of year.  I think you can apply CBT techniques to any challenging situation you find yourself in. 
I wish there was an easier solution to getting through the darker times. 
How have you spent these anniversaries in the past?  Do the waves of sadness diminish or has it been long lasting, and more difficult to endure?
I lost someone very dear to me a couple years ago and on the difficult anniversaries(most recently his birthday), I have taken the day off to do all the things my loved one enjoyed doing.  It definitely helps when the sun is shining.  I can relate to feeling exhausted and overwhelmed when the strong emotions take over.
Keep taking one day at a time.  Continue to engage in your creative side (even if it's a small amount each day).  Get outside to walk, breathe in the fresh air, clear your mind, talk to a friend.
Start by recording each moment of your day that brings you a feeling of joy. 

Hold strong ~m.  You have come this far, you can and will get through this challenging time! 
We're here for you. Vincenza, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Does anyone else ever feel this way?
Does anyone ever feel caught off guard by your depression?
Do you get more depressed because you are again depressed?

10 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Help?  I'm feeling pretty lost right now and am wondering if it is possible to apply CBT techniques to managing anniversary reactions?  What kind of challenges or questions or 1,2,3,4 steps can I take to make these stop? Is there a particular session that would be helpful?  How do I "begin agin" with the program?  

I do feel like the depression, which descends pretty much every year at this time, is triggered by events in the past.  In the present, life is good.  Easy.  No reason to be feeling such despair. Nevertheless, here it is again.  Every six years it gets very, very intense.  This is a 6th year. 

So far, reviewing the relaxation techniques and grounding exercises has begun to help somewhat.  I've lost my concentration and am not very good at it... it is difficult to have to relearn these things.  Frustrated much with myself over this.  Reminded to balance accomplishment activities with relaxation or enjoyment activities.  I try.  I have maintained a small part of every day for creative work.

However, when I have a moment of transition in my day's activities, I feel as if a tsunami of sadness just hits me upside the back of my head. Upside my entire self inside and out.  I don't know what to do with this or why I'm so caught off guard each time it happens.  It is overwhelming.  It is exhausting. 

In the recent past, this program gave me structure and a plan that really made life so much better... I was empowered to take control of my own life.  It was amazing and wonderful.  Right now, I cannot  remember how to approach this stuff in a healthy and positive way.  In a proactive way.  I want to do something.  I need to do something now!

Can CBT help me out of this ... again?

Reading this thread: