Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Waiting out Depression

12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Right now I am waiting to get better from my depression so I can start doing another things in life besides ruminating about the past and worrying about the future. But it seems I do not have to wait and instead, start living in the present moment with what I have. One step at a time.
12 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Original Post by: Vincenza-Health Educator
It is common for people to think that if they "wait out" depression, that it will go away. 

Have you ever thought this way? 
Have you gone for a period of time without seeking help or treatment, waiting for your feelings or symptoms to disappear? 
Have you tried avoiding your feelings in the past?
Every day.
12 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Pete,

I get a great deal out of reading your posts.  The support that is around you is for you to use, not to be ashamed of in anyway.  Okay now I am telling you how to feel and that is not my point.  I feel that the way to get my problems solved is to bring them to the forefront and deal and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.  You have made me think more about making the most of what I have to help me and those around me get through this walk with the black dog.  Thank you Pete.

Nuamseven  
12 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Waiting out depression that is interesting.  I think I do go to sleep every night and hope that it will be gone in the morning.  I work out, eat correctly, read books, take medication all to try and make it go away.  So waiting it out seems to be a good term.  I do what I do to make the time of the depression less and understand more about my feelings.  I know that everyday if I get through the day and take positive steps I end up one day closer to the feelings or symptoms to disapear.  What I am getting from these questions is should I be doing more that just going through the motions.  Should I be doing the program, work and my life with real intent.  Not just to past the time, but to make the time more productive so I get the most out of every day.  Take on problems head on today instead of worrying about them for a couple of weeks.  Getting ahead of the game.  Yes I think I have been waiting for it to pass so I can get on with my life.  I think it is time to accept this as part of my life and get on with living now.  I have been avoiding doing certain things until I feel better.  No more, I am taking it head on and pushing through things now.  It is time to get back on the court and stop watch/waiting for things toget better.  Thank you Vincenza for openning this thought up for me.

Numaseven
12 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Vincenza,

I think this is kind of where I'm at now. Waiting to feel better.

I'm reluctant and ashamed to go back to my doctor or counsellor or psychologist yet again. I've wasted enough of their time, and now it is really up to me to sort myself out. I can't help feeling that anyone I talk to will see my 'depression' as nothing more than indulgent, middle class, middle aged, existential angst and not worth taking seriously.

Also, I worry that seeking this kind of help will somehow bring the whole problem to the forefront of my life and mind. I don't want to make it public again. Everyone around me thinks I'm better now, and I have too many responsibilities to burden family with all this again. Even after all this time, and with all I know about depression, I can't help the conviction that it is all my fault. I've had a lot of therapy, a lot of talk, I've been given the tools. If I still feel rotten, that's down to me.

So, I'm trying to tough out the bad times. Somewhere inside, there must be lurking an optimist. 
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is common for people to think that if they "wait out" depression, that it will go away. 

Have you ever thought this way? 
Have you gone for a period of time without seeking help or treatment, waiting for your feelings or symptoms to disappear? 
Have you tried avoiding your feelings in the past?

Reading this thread: